What's new

1989 Jeep Cherokee 1 ton swap

LScout800 probably 6-9 months for an atlas if I knew exactly what I wanted, and I agree about a 205 being a big bitch. Heavy too.

fl0w3n

Less shit to mess with on an automagic transmission is my guess. Put it in gear, let off the brake and go. No concerns about being in a spot needing to dump the clutch with your foot on the brake then hit the gas so you don’t roll back.

What's the length on a regular ecobox + 205?

If that comes in decently shorter than the ecobox + 231 and you can scrounge the driver drop 205 and inputs/outputs/shafts for less than an Atlas I could see that route being viable. I wouldn't go ecobox + 300, the flipping is annoying, shifter setup is annoying, you'll need inputs and outputs, braces and aluminum cover and since you're a regular ecobox it'll be decently long I think. I'm only pushing forward with mine because I got it with 4:1 for $600 and it already had 1310 front/rear.

205 is 32 spline outputs f&r so no worries there

Why do you say auto after having all those behind manuals?

Because he now has an auto and it's better :flipoff2:

Last edited:
This is in Auburn, pick it up Saturday

Not knowing Atlas, can the gear set be changed? IMG_0461.png

Edit…not mine just searched on FB.

How about this
IMG_0462.png

LScout800 probably 6-9 months for an atlas if I knew exactly what I wanted, and I agree about a 205 being a big bitch. Heavy too.

fl0w3n

Less shit to mess with on an automagic transmission is my guess. Put it in gear, let off the brake and go. No concerns about being in a spot needing to dump the clutch with your foot on the brake then hit the gas so you don’t roll back.
from what I’ve seen when in low you are hardly fussing with the clutch. Jason had a 5.0 atlas and nv3550 on the Sierra run and I only watched him stall probably 3 times.
But I don’t have experience yet so I’m genuinely curious. I have the auto I could use if there were some really good reasons, but I also just want to try it and find out for myself at the end of the day
205 is 32 spline outputs f&r so no worries there

Because he now has a manual and it's better :flipoff2:
I meant 300 outputs, I thought they were an oddball u joint size stock

You mean an auto now? I get the torque multiplication and softening of the drivetrain with an auto and deep reduction behind it, but I still like the idea of select ability of manual and the simplicity compared to a switch setup on an aw4 to get similar select ability

Why do you say auto after having all those behind manuals?
its just personal pref at this point. couple reasons. when the thing is in low low and you want to do a launch up a ledge, or hit a hill. the fucker will bounce off the REV LIM and shift through all three gears right now. gaining wheel speed all the while. one of the minor things that annoyed me with 4cyl and manual, there was no up shifting, you just have the gear you picked.

with that being said. i still plan on using all my old toyota stuff n build a little crawler. and then it will be a manual for sure. long winded answer.

another thing i like about the auto. crawling is just ride the brake and give a bit of gas. i have factory stall so it works great for me.

Not knowing Atlas, can the gear set be changed? IMG_0461.png

How about this
IMG_0462.png
The terra low case has zero support so when it breaks I’m screwed. It’s a proprietary planetary and the only thing I’ve read about them is they break. No thanks.

Atlas gears can be changed. The 32 spline input too. It only takes money.
$220 inout gear required.
$870 gear set.
$2,500 atlas plus driving to Auburn hoping he didn’t just mock it up.
$3590 without free shipping to my door not ready to install.
$175 shift kit still required. So about $3,700 and I figure out how to change gears in an atlas following Billavista’s guide if it exists.

It’s why the Atlas hasn’t sold in a long time.

Brand new atlas mailed to me is $4,600 and I can go work on installing hydroassist, buy a new steering box that doesn’t leak, and fix my tail light. So for $1,000 it shows up

Last edited:

Not knowing Atlas, can the gear set be changed?

You can, but they're around $800, plus you'd probably want new bearings. You're into it more than a new case. Although I think 2.0 is plenty with 2.7 in front of it.

How about this

They stopped making them.for a reason :laughing:

The terra low case has zero support so when it breaks I’m screwed. It’s a proprietary planetary and the only thing I’ve read about them is they break. No thanks.

Atlas gears can be changed. The 32 spline input too. It only takes money.
$220 inout gear required.
$870 gear set.
$2,500 atlas plus driving to Auburn hoping he didn’t just mock it up.
$3590 without free shipping to my door not ready to install.
$175 shift kit still required. So about $3,700 and I figure out how to change gears in an atlas following Billavista’s guide if it exists.

It’s why the Atlas hasn’t sold in a long time.

Brand new atlas mailed to me is $4,600 and I can go work on installing hydroassist, buy a new steering box that doesn’t leak, and fix my tail light. So for $1,000 it shows up

Where around getting your atlas quotes? Filthy motosports is around $1000 cheaper than what you're posting, with free shipping.

Where around getting your atlas quotes? Filthy motosports is around $1000 cheaper than what you're posting, with free shipping.
Advanced Adapters website.

I just realized an Atlas wouldn’t fix a broken trackbar bracket. I should spend money on dual batteries and a trail welder before a new transfer case, right? So I can fix my shit, or get out of the trail when my alternator dies?

Attachments

• IMG_0326.png
    IMG_0326.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0327.png
    IMG_0327.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0328.png
    IMG_0328.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
its just personal pref at this point. couple reasons. when the thing is in low low and you want to do a launch up a ledge, or hit a hill. the fucker will bounce off the REV LIM and shift through all three gears right now. gaining wheel speed all the while. one of the minor things that annoyed me with 4cyl and manual, there was no up shifting, you just have the gear you picked.

with that being said. i still plan on using all my old toyota stuff n build a little crawler. and then it will be a manual for sure. long winded answer.

another thing i like about the auto. crawling is just ride the brake and give a bit of gas. i have factory stall so it works great for me.
Makes sense, especially for your terrain. I cant say I’ve ever come across an obstacle or hill out west where I’ve needed to bang rev and shift gears :flipoff2:

i feel like that is a daily chore sometimes. but dam is it fun... lol and expensive lol\

1691765755847.png
You should make a new one and weld it to the carrier using Nickel rod/wire for extra strength. Just know it is a less viscous puddles so if you want it to look good weld it flat instead of uphill/downhill/horizontal.

You should make a new one and weld it to the carrier using Nickel rod/wire for extra strength. Just know it is a less viscous puddles so if you want it to look good weld it flat instead of uphill/downhill/horizontal.
i also bent the entire housing. you should be able to see completely through not see half moon. the single verticle support on the truss allowed it to flex then bend if it would have supports on both side like a box i think i would have been fine. learned lesson here. building 14 now.

not trying to detrail.
1691766744680.png

1691766849129.png

i also bent the entire housing. you should be able to see completely through not see half moon. the single verticle support on the truss allowed it to flex then bend if it would have supports on both side like a box i think i would have been fine. learned lesson here. building 14 now.

not trying to detrail.

I tacoed the shit out of my D44. Had a Diff shop straighten it for $60. Just an option before you scrap it.

Advanced Adapters website.

Just figured I'd let you know, they're a fair bit cheaper from dealers.

I just realized an Atlas wouldn’t fix a broken trackbar bracket. I should spend money on dual batteries and a trail welder before a new transfer case, right? So I can fix my shit, or get out of the trail when my alternator dies?

Funny how that works. I've been planning 60s, 40?-42s and front links for a while. Then I remembered that wouldn't make my engine not a complete pos :laughing:

Just figured I'd let you know, they're a fair bit cheaper from dealers.

Funny how that works. I've been planning 60s, 40?-42s and front links for a while. Then I remembered that wouldn't make my engine not a complete pos :laughing:
I learned ‘just add more gears’ from the underpowered Toyota guys. If one transfer case is good then two is great. Two is one and one is none, right?

Edit: it’s about $3,000 from Filthy Motorsports and an 8 paycheck (or more) lead time. Roughly $375 a paycheck…

I need other shit more than a $3,000 transfer case. Maybe when I destroy my 231 with my eco box I’ll go atlas.

Last edited:
I learned ‘just add more gears’ from the underpowered Toyota guys. If one transfer case is good then two is great. Two is one and one is none, right?

Yes, and you have to use low low 1st gear for every single situation :laughing:

Edit: it’s about $3,000 from Filthy Motorsports and an 8 paycheck (or more) lead time. Roughly $375 a paycheck…

I need other shit more than a $3,000 transfer case. Maybe when I destroy my 231 with my eco box I’ll go atlas.

I get it.

If you already have the ecobox, may as well use it. Is there a 241 from a dodge or something that is 23sp but an upgrade from the 231?

Not that I’m aware of. I’ve done everything to the 231 and the ecobox the internet says to do. 6 gear planetary, slip yoke eliminator, and wide chain. Apparently I’ll destroy the case before anything else but I can be a special kind of stupid. I do own a Cherokee.

Not that I’m aware of. I’ve done everything to the 231 and the ecobox the internet says to do. 6 gear planetary, slip yoke eliminator, and wide chain. Apparently I’ll destroy the case before anything else but I can be a special kind of stupid. I do own a Cherokee.

You wheel trails like rubicon and Fordyce?

A lot of guys from out side this area don't understand how difficult recovery can be on these trails. The last thing I want to be a weak point in my rig is the tcase :laughing:

I'd just keep your eyes out for a ford 205, they're out there, and then it's basically idiot proof

YotaAtieToo the first time I wheeed Fordyce it blew up my Dana 35 locker and I started my one ton swap(documented earlier).
The second time I wheeled Fordyce I ripped off my track bar bracket (documented earlier).

Im not sure if you can tell, but in case you missed it I kind of have this continuous running problem…

Not to be out done….I flap disc’s some stuff and tack welding on my track bar bracket. Just in time to go jogging so I make sure I have something to complain about on Sunday (not having time to get stuff done).

71350141427__0998FB6A-C7E6-479C-8FF6-403CAD53DE92.fullsizerender.jpeg

Np205s are plentiful and cheap here. Buy one in the middle of the country and fastenal ship it?

Screenshot_20230814_135218_Chrome.jpg

Np205s are plentiful and cheap here. Buy one in the middle of the country and fastenal ship it?
I’m just going to GUESS the shipping cost would make it cost prohibitive. 2010 fastenal shipping is different than 2023. Heck, my local ones closed to the general public then closed branches all together.

Jeffh555 is this the PSC box you bought?
Just the JK version instead of the XJ one

Top Back Refresh