What's new

1989 F350 7.3L C6 swap to OD Trans

OK I would use this truck a lot more with overdrive. Now if I did the ZF5 swap what would I need to do for the clutch pedal/master setup. Any F1/2/350 setup work, possibly a bronco setup? I would love to convert to 4x4 but I really don't need that right now so I would do the trans swap and keep it 2wd with the parking brake on it for now and in future if I wanted to make it 4x4 and got a dually front axle for it then I could do that swap.
Any pedal assembly 80-96 bolts in. They used to be unavailable except used but someone is making an aftermarket assembly for like $100-200 now.

There's a firewall reinforcement for the hydraulic clutch you will want to replicate.

OK I would use this truck a lot more with overdrive. Now if I did the ZF5 swap what would I need to do for the clutch pedal/master setup. Any F1/2/350 setup work, possibly a bronco setup? I would love to convert to 4x4 but I really don't need that right now so I would do the trans swap and keep it 2wd with the parking brake on it for now and in future if I wanted to make it 4x4 and got a dually front axle for it then I could do that swap.
yup
my 350 has the pedalbox and master from an f150
when you go about buying a slave cylinder, they make two different bore sizes, mine was really stiff with the small bore one, but it is downright tolerable with the large bore slave

yup
my 350 has the pedalbox and master from an f150
when you go about buying a slave cylinder, they make two different bore sizes, mine was really stiff with the small bore one, but it is downright tolerable with the large bore slave
You sure you don't have that backwards? Small bore -> more force but longer throw.

I am pretty sure all diesel ZF-5's were the same, whether they were from the old IDI or the Powerstokes. The later ones had a higher torque rating, but they all interchange. 2wd and 4wd differences notwithstanding.

I am pretty sure all diesel ZF-5's were the same, whether they were from the old IDI or the Powerstokes. The later ones had a higher torque rating, but they all interchange. 2wd and 4wd differences notwithstanding.
he was referring to the turbo stuff
a couple bolts interchange between the 7.3 DI and the 7.3 IDI, nothing more, different bore spacing and everything.

all diesel ZFs are indeed interchangable, ratios are slightly different but insignificant

Well I got a deal on a used gear vendors so when that arrives i'll get to installing that and have the driveline modified to fit that.

Well I got a deal on a used gear vendors so when that arrives i'll get to installing that and have the driveline modified to fit that.
GV is a decent unit. I have one, just broke again. Not sure if I will fix it again or not.

GV customer service sucks. They don't want to sell parts to repair. Only exchange for a factory rebuilt.

On a mechanical diesel you should see pretty decent mpg gains. On my powerstroke I saw none. But the gear ratio was much better for towing than the E4OD overdrive ratio.

GV is a decent unit. I have one, just broke again. Not sure if I will fix it again or not.

GV customer service sucks. They don't want to sell parts to repair. Only exchange for a factory rebuilt.

On a mechanical diesel you should see pretty decent mpg gains. On my powerstroke I saw none. But the gear ratio was much better for towing than the E4OD overdrive ratio.

How are you breaking the unit? I've heard they are pretty strong and some drag cars run them in drag week

GV uses a gear inside called a freewheeling gear or some call it a sprag. Anyway, out of the blue my gear broke into 3 pieces. Driving along with GV on and it just dropped out. No warning, no noise just boom done. (happens a lot)

I went through mountainous battles to convince GV to sell me a new gear. They finally agreed and he told me it will break again. I said, okay sell me the rest of the parts so it won't break again. They refused.
Here we are 10 years later (not much use in there) and I found a chunk of steel while doing oil change. tore it down and that gear is missing a tooth and cracked.

Good INFO thread for gv.

I bought mine used and from day one it was a battle with GV to get anything unless you were spending a bunch of cash with them. I had problems with the old school electronics so they sold me the complete latest and greatest electronics. It worked for a while then started creating problems where it would not allow the TC to engage. Tranny shop after shop said the trans is fine. Said engine PCM was fine. Wiring was fine. Went through so many headaches with just that one problem. It was the GV control module.
It worked best just run off a toggle switch. I built a small timing circuit that would disengage the TC for 3 seconds when you switch the GV on. Helps take the shock load off.

Had other problems from time to time. failed solenoid. Have a hard time keeping a decent bushing in the tail housing. The thing is high maintenance.

Don't get me wrong it is great when it is working, but it is not working more often than working. I am just tired of fixing it.

It had gotten so bad I had a spare tail housing and different driveshaft sitting around so I could pull it GV off in about 30 minutes.

Maybe with a brand new one you could get some dependable years out of it, but that cost was never worth it to me and I am not having much luck with the used one.

Had it on for 100k miles now. I would be surprised if it worked or was engaged for 15k of that.

If I had it to do over, I would still throw it on and try it, but when it first broke I should have pulled it and sent it to GV and spent the $$ on a reman, or just sold it and quit there.

OK well I got a gear vendors type unit for this thing but I towed my truck on a trailer with nothing else and it was a turd no power at all. So I just sold the truck with the nice U-haul box on it to a couple guys who needed it for a storage unit since they had no room in their garage anylonger.

OK well I got a gear vendors type unit for this thing but I towed my truck on a trailer with nothing else and it was a turd no power at all. So I just sold the truck with the nice U-haul box on it to a couple guys who needed it for a storage unit since they had no room in their garage anylonger

Ah the life cycle of an IDI. Guy buys one because it’s cheap, guy finds out the reason it was cheap is because they are hard starting underperforming turds. Sells it to the next unsuspecting person.

I had a 94 factory turbo IDI with the ZF-5 4x4 F350. It was an unacceptable turd, so I sold it to someone with more patience than I have. 10/10 I’d rather have the 460 than the diesel. And FYI the first gen 7.3 power struggle wasn’t much better, same bad fuel mileage, same slow ass acceleration.

Fwiw
I use mine a s a dedicated tow pig...
I sold the 88 banks,c-6,4:10 2x4, posi truck and bought a 93 idit zf, 4x4, 4:10 posi.
And never looked back!

OK well I got a gear vendors type unit for this thing but I towed my truck on a trailer with nothing else and it was a turd no power at all.
hahahahaha
what did you expect? with a c6 they got about 100hp at the wheels, manuals bring that up to like 150 on a very good day

thought that was pretty well implied by all the posts about running it hard on the governor

Top Back Refresh