What's new

1974 Crew: Cummins, Manual, Tons...Poor Financial Decisions

Burns

Member Number
Loc
Portland, ME
Joined Pirate at the ripe ol age of 14.....That's probably where a lot of my "problems" stemmed from.

Bought it for $4500. Full width 1/2 ton axles, ZF5 in place, no interior, no engine, doors existed but didnt have working glass....loosely a rolling shell. Seller had started it. Gotten married. Had a kid...got divorced...had another kid....and he wanted to see someone finally finish it. He loved the 5 lugs and had a 460 in it.....and he hated the idea of a cummins. SO FUCK 'EM! Start Thread:

Goal for this build was to make a truck that I can get parts off the shelf for in case Im in a pinch and need something while on the road, but also have the reliability of minimal electronics. Simple and stout that can go camping, tow a trailer, but have fun with too!

This is my first real dabble in a full build, and I leaned a lot! The build thread will move slow as Im in the process of moving, and collecting/remembering everything that went into the truck.

74 F250-16.png
74 F250-17.png

74 F250-11.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to Columbo us and start at the end then build back to the start?

I also hate the idea of a heavy, loud, stinky diesel in a classic. :flipoff2:
Why did you ruin it?

but it's your truck......

This was pulling her from her crypt. She had sat there for a season while I saved money and collected shitty old rusty parts. 5 lug axles and all...

74 F250-22.jpg

74 F250-23.jpg

Getting some help from the local plow truck!
74 F250-21.jpg

74 F250-24.jpg

Picked up the ZF6, Tcase and driveshafts from a guy who lived on top of a mountain....in a snowstorm. Witnessed a couple accidents all while sipping some special hot chocolate! Mind you Im on the coast, so inland there was a TON more snow.
74 F250-26.jpg

Next came the engine. Picked up a heinous as all fuck looking 6BT with a fresh "garage" rebuild. Thing looked like Cousin Bubba and Ernie huffed some spray paint, then decided to paint the engine. Outback loved it as per normal.
74 F250-32.jpg

Got an HX40 w/4'' outlet, and a 160hp PPump (with rebuild documentation from a local reputable shop).
74 F250-34.jpg

Borrowed my friends engine hoist....maybe I should return this thing one day.....NAHHHHHH.......and managed to not crush the Datsun or myself while trying to scoot this steel giraffe around the garage.
74 F250-35.jpg

Shes ugly...but all there. I had zero experience with diesels or a cummins before....so learning what holes do what (had to have my girlfriend teach me the same) was a fun learning experience!
74 F250-38.jpg

She came with a new exhaust manifold, I had to buy adapter plate, motor mounts and clutch.
74 F250-39.jpg

Hopefully I can find some pics of cleaning the orange abortion off of this thing......

Last but not least the "New" axles. '06 super duty Dana-60 and a good old Sterling 10.5. Used too have pictures of all this stuff...but theyve gone missing.

I spend a lot fo time with my friends plasma cutter cleaning them up AND didnt even burn the house down. The plan is coilovers up front, make my own radius arms and mounts, and then cutoff and weld new spring perches and shock mounts on the rear!

74 F250-36.jpg

The trusty outback once again putting in work, and the faithful copilot admiring the sights!

74 F250-37.jpg

Attachments

• 74 F250-37.jpg
    74 F250-37.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Dude, none of that shit warrants a trailer. It could all go in the car.

:lmao:

I also hate the idea of a heavy, loud, stinky diesel in a classic. :flipoff2:
Why did you ruin it?

but it's your truck......
I liked it more before it had been done a million times. Now it’s a case by case basis, is it being done just to check all the boxes for “cool shit” or is it being done because it’s the best option for the intended purpose.

Either one is a valid reason if it floats somebody’s boat.

Last edited:
It's also how well (or not) it's done. Hack job in weak ass frame, butchered core support.
Interested to see fab work and solutions to all the little things. The one finished pic looks like a damn nice truck!

Hurry up with rest of story Burns !

It's also how well (or not) it's done. Hack job in weak ass frame, butchered core support.
Interested to see fab work and solutions to all the little things. The one finished pic looks like a damn nice truck!

Hurry up with rest of story Burns !

Goal here was quality! Its my first "real" build, so there was some learning that took place, BUT....Ive been collecting all the old pics (takes longer than expected) of the build process and am working to organize and then update! Had help from a few other members, but dont want to slander their reputation so we can leave them out (and blame the botched shit on them)

Tell em about the glovebox full of dildos...
Dildo in the behind the seat fuel tank. Someone on here or the old site drew a diagram. one time....it included a strong spring and a giant dildo. When someone opens the fuel cap to siphon gas, the dildo rockets itself at a high velocity into their cranium.

Dildo in the behind the seat fuel tank. Someone on here or the old site drew a diagram. one time....it included a strong spring and a giant dildo. When someone opens the fuel cap to siphon gas, the dildo rockets itself at a high velocity into their cranium.
....calculating now

Some things will be out of order (if you look close, the engine is dry mounted in)...I cant find older pics...but we'll get there.

Anyways, axles and F150 suspension comes out. I had mounted the engine in the truck, winter stormed in, so now came the work on getting the chassis ready to deal with the weight and also ride better.

I jacked up the framer, cribbed her up on blocks knowing she would move until spring, unbolted the F150 suspension and axles and slid them outside. Ended up selling them off for $650 to a gentleman from New Hampshire, and immediately payed rent in cash so I could stay another month and chip away at the F250 :)

IMG_2725.JPG

Easy enough to get the impact out, blow the bolts off, and lower everything down. The saddest part about all of this was that the existing F150 suspension that the previous owner had grafted on, was all in very nive shape!
IMG_2726.JPG

84033942_10221774797254122_1097361098996187136_n.jpg

Rear end was even painted and clean!
85151078_10221774796334099_5436798043997339648_n.jpg

Next job was to clean and freshen up the crusty Super Duty axles that I got:

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

Didnt burn the house down, but did get close! Only got the pants!
IMG_2736.JPG

Bought a RuffStuff radius arm kit. Laid it all out, and started taking measurments. Also contacted Accu-Tune and got an order in for some front coilovers.
IMG_2740.JPG

All in all it fit pretty nicely, and using RuffStuffs outriggers, the radius arms fell right where they needed too. Would have liked to make them a touch longer...but thats life.
IMG_2741.JPG

Tacked it all together....and brough them over to my "Friends" where I got to play frisbee with his dog and he melted them together (not pictured)
IMG_2743.JPG

More info on the steering box please...

Also, was this a ccsb f250 2wd to start with, or a f150 4wd with a cab swap (and frame stretch)

More info on the steering box please...

Also, was this a ccsb f250 2wd to start with, or a f150 4wd with a cab swap (and frame stretch)
Its a "narrow frame" so im not 100% sure what that means for being spec'd out. From the firewall forward the frame is a 2wd frameset (someone years ago graphed it on)

I can grab some pics for you in the next couple days (of the steering box). Currently running a redhead thats tapped/used for hydro assist. Its an outside the framerail box, rear steering shaft entry, front facing pitman arm (single shear, no drop in the pitman arm itself).

Its a "narrow frame" so im not 100% sure what that means for being spec'd out. From the firewall forward the frame is a 2wd frameset (someone years ago graphed it on)

I can grab some pics for you in the next couple days (of the steering box). Currently running a redhead thats tapped/used for hydro assist. Its an outside the framerail box, rear steering shaft entry, front facing pitman arm (single shear, no drop in the pitman arm itself).
2wd front half grafted on? Sounds like f150 4wd

Iirc all crew cabs were narrow frame, so the bed bolts and rear cab mounts are closer together like early truck and high boys

Top Back Refresh