What's new

1972 Darien Gap Swamp Tyres

Dougal

Member Number
Starting back in 1971 Landrover setup the Trans-Americas expediation with a pair of new Range Rovers. They drove from Alaska down through central and south America to Cape Horn.
The hard bit of course was the Darien Gap. 250 miles of jungle and swamp. They had 64 people total in the expedition. Some walking, some leading pack horses and many cutting tracks for the vehicles. Over half were evacuated for medical treatment during the Darien Gap.

There are some great videos on it well worth watching.

But the part that always fascinated me was the swamp tyres. For the Darien Gap they fitted "oversize swamp tyres" which proved a disaster. Instead of providing the necessary flotation to get through the swamp they just balled up with sticky jungle mud and started breaking differentials (spider gears) and axles at a rapid rate. By the time they got through to a clearing to camp out, make contact with Landrover and come up with a better plan they had broken 9 differentials, had one vehicle with 2 wheels driving towing the other vehicle with 0 wheels driving. That's the first picture below.

The lads in Solihull then took their own rangerovers, fitted the same oversize wheels, overloaded them the same way and drove around their test tracks. Finding out that yes they were also breaking diffs and axles.
Plans were changed, instructions sent to reduce vehicle load and replacement axles sent over more normal sized tyres. These worked and with a third vehicle (well used Landrover series 2A) they were able to make it through. Still to this day being one of the only motorised expeditions to make it through.

Since I first heard about this I've been fascinated by what these swamp tyres actually were and what size they were to cause all these issues. These pics show what I've found:
1696031010965.png

1696031077388.png

These vehicles still exist. Well the two rangerovers do. The Series 2A was already badly beaten and had no brakes. It was gifted to a local dignitary at the end of the gap and promptly crashed.

The rangerovers were later restored though which has destroyed some of the original evidence. For example they replaced the guards which were cut to clear the ~33" swamp tyres with original uncut guards. Looks like they were also restickered and redented but went on publicity tours afterwards before ending up in museums like Dunsfold where they are shod with the road going Firestone Town & Country rubber used on the road touring sections.

The 12-16.5" tyre size used is basically unheard of for 4x4 use now. It's pretty common for skid-steer loaders and agricultural equipment.

After all that I found this 2014 post about the Dunsfold Museum Range Rover which lists the tyre sizes:

So they must be written somewhere offical. But good to know. They didn't pick up the 12-16.5's were Town and Country tread though. The SAT wasn't available that size. The "Super Traction" they list in that size is basically a skid-steer tyre.

Flicker Post said:
1971 Range Rover 2-door.

Used on the ‘Darien Gap’ MoD expedition from Alaska to Cape Horn via the difficult Darien Isthmus crossing.

The expedition started on 3rd December 1971 from Anchorage in Alaska and ended at the southern-most tip of Terra del Fuego in South America, reached by 10th June 1972. The two Range Rovers was supplied by Rover and crewed with men from the 17th/21st Lancers. The British Trans-Americas expedition was led by Major John Blashford-Snell, who had Blue Nile and Red Sea expedition experiences behind him.

The Range Rovers with registered number VXC 765K and VXC 868K, were basically standard LHD vehicles intended for export to Switzerland. No actual parts were strengthened. The only extra protection were heavy duty towing eyes, special bush bars made from two front bumpers and a petrol tank guard. Engine and transmission were just standard production items, fitted with snorkel exhaust tube extensions. They also had a Fairey engine-driven capstan winch, extra halogen spot lights, screen pillar swivel lamps, split charge twin batteries system, 12 x 16.5in or 7.50 x 16 Firestone Super All-Traction swamp tyres and removable wing panels for easier access to them.

Last MoT test expired in February 2013.

2014 Dunsfold Pic.jpg

Attachments

• 1696646912100.png
    1696646912100.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
are you still trying to find these tires, or just a informative post?

are you still trying to find these tires, or just a informative post?
This is for historical interest.

I can't imagine anyone wanting/needing 33" firestone town & country tyres for 16.5" rims.

"Town & Country" side-track ... we moved from SoCal to Iowa in 1971.

Mom had a 1969 Olds 98 land-yacht and was terrified of driving in the snow.

She had four studded Firestone T&C's on that thing every one of the nine winters that they lived here.

Thing sounded like it was getting ready to take off every time she drove it!

"Town & Country" side-track ... we moved from SoCal to Iowa in 1971.

Mom had a 1969 Olds 98 land-yacht and was terrified of driving in the snow.

She had four studded Firestone T&C's on that thing every one of the nine winters that they lived here.

Thing sounded like it was getting ready to take off every time she drove it!

I never drove one, but carried a 205R16 Town & Country around as a spare for a decade before binning it for a BFG AT. In the early 90's here every tyre shop had racks of the firestones. No winter studs allowed here (climate doesn't need them) but reputation was pretty average and they'd last forever.

Not the tyre I'd ever want for jungle mud.

If you are ever looking for a 12-16.5, STA still makes the trailbreaker in it along with some other old school size's. I have no clue how long they will continue but they are a pretty good tire that has a similar look to the T&C but bit more aggressive, not directional like the Super Traction.

If you are ever looking for a 12-16.5, STA still makes the trailbreaker in it along with some other old school size's. I have no clue how long they will continue but they are a pretty good tire that has a similar look to the T&C but bit more aggressive, not directional like the Super Traction.

Interesting:
1697976494200.png

They make some pretty old-school patterns.

An old 64 Chevy K20 I got 20 years ago came with JcPenny Mud Wamper tires that looked very similar to the Super All Traction tires.

Nice work Dougal, I had wondered what they were too.

I'm surprised they didn't still have breakages with SAT's but I guess it was a low traction environment. I ran 7.50 SAT's in the mid-late 90's on a hilux and then briefly on a Suzuki and found them very good considering they lacked an offset lug. I have an early discovery now and while it was trimmed to run 7.50's I'm not brave enough. I was very surprised that the minimum diameter of an early rover driveshaft is barely bigger than stock Suzuki Sierra rear. I'll grant they're full floating but I've broken enough full float Sierra axles in my time.

Were the Firestone Town and Country's you were seeing the NZ locally made? I understand Firestone bought Reid Rubber in NZ in the 80's(?) and Reid were certainly making tyres similar in design prior to Firestone's purchase. (A local guy I wheeled with in the very early 90's had some Reid 7.50 16's which were awesome for the time - like a slightly more aggressive Jeep Service - but they were very old even then.

Nice work Dougal, I had wondered what they were too.

I'm surprised they didn't still have breakages with SAT's but I guess it was a low traction environment. I ran 7.50 SAT's in the mid-late 90's on a hilux and then briefly on a Suzuki and found them very good considering they lacked an offset lug. I have an early discovery now and while it was trimmed to run 7.50's I'm not brave enough. I was very surprised that the minimum diameter of an early rover driveshaft is barely bigger than stock Suzuki Sierra rear. I'll grant they're full floating but I've broken enough full float Sierra axles in my time.

Were the Firestone Town and Country's you were seeing the NZ locally made? I understand Firestone bought Reid Rubber in NZ in the 80's(?) and Reid were certainly making tyres similar in design prior to Firestone's purchase. (A local guy I wheeled with in the very early 90's had some Reid 7.50 16's which were awesome for the time - like a slightly more aggressive Jeep Service - but they were very old even then.

Pretty much everyone ran 7.00-16" SAT's back in the 80's here. 4wd utes ran them all round, 2wd utes ran them on the back, every series landrover had a set and any truck that went offroad ran them too.
I don't know if the T&C's were made here but the SAT's were. There was a factory in Chch that ran until 2009: Christchurch factory to close, 275 to lose jobs
A mate form uni days worked there over a summer where a worker was killed in the rubber plant. Apparently the OSH inspectors pulled the safety kill switch 100 times and nothing happened!

They were going to make a radial version of the SAT. But it either didn't get to market or they gave up pretty quick.

I ran a set of radial retread SAT tyres for a while. Bridgestone 205R16 casings with 6" wide retread strip glued to them. They were fantastic in mud where you could dig to a base. Not good if there was no base. Got stuck once on a 4wd recovery day and they had to link ropes together to dry land to pull me out.:laughing:

The casings died of old age, here is one on top of the 215/85 duratracs I replaced them with about a decade ago:
1699428269983.png

I think the axle strength is way overblown. Sure if you want to drive like you hate it you'll break them but I never have. The original diff spider gears were the real weak point. The later diffs have a far stronger design there. I'm running 97 disco axles as the backlash in the originals was getting bad.

Snow/ice traction is more important to me these days and the old SAT's wouldn't be so hot with that. Big stiff tread blocks with no sipes and I think they'd get even harder in the cold.

Last edited:
Im more impressed that a land rover had the hp/reduction to break axles and diffs, then i remembered, salsbury....
Those axles are trash. The Samurai guys don’t consider them upgrades.

Top Back Refresh