What's new

1970 C10 project

I just looked up, cus i was looking for carb cleaner, a rebuilt carb for my truck through Oreilly's, and the pics they show of the one for my truck are exactly like the one I'm replacing. Circle tagged center section with a newer style air horn, etc.. From what I now know about guadrajets, I would warn basically anybody away from buying a rebuilt quadrajet from an auto parts store. From reading through the book I got, even from the factory they were thrown together with parts that were "within spec". Sometimes that worked out great, sometimes it was a lemon. it's all in spec but doing a handful of checks on small things can make it go from "runs pretty good" to basically being a carb for a high horsepower drag car or nascar rig.
Needless to say, with my perfectionist nature, since I'm building a carb, it's gonna be built like I'm trying to win the Daytona 500 with it :smokin:

I know people always say about the auto parts store Q-jets but I have to say I got super lucky with it. Had a truck that was flooding all the time and it let me sitting in DMV parking lot one day so I got a ride to advance auto and purchased their cheapest one. I went back to truck and swapped it over and it fired straight up, idled perfect, everything was fine. I still have that carb swapped onto my car almost 15yrs later though by now it might need seals from sitting.

You right on sticking with the Q-jet, And cool ass build.

I had a 70 c-10 with the rear overload leaves. It was like a half leaf spring with a rubber stopper on one end. It was clamped on to the frame? maybe i cant remeber for sure.

Well I won the carburetor this morning. I was the only bidder for 3 days but luckily I had put a max bid of 60 bucks on it, in the last like minute and a half of the sale someone tried to snipe it from me but they ran out of time in bidding a dollar higher and I won with the 60 bucks bid. Paid the man and it's on the way now supposedly.
s-l1600.jpg

Bought all the tools for the rebuild today. Pin vice, taps of teh sizes listed in "the good book", etc.. it should all show about the time the carb does. Then I can run all the checks on it for air leaks, etc.. and figure out what all to buy to rebuild it. I think somewhere above someone said "don't let perfect get in the way of good enough" , which I'm basically following for the rest of the build, but if I'm gonna rebuild this thing, as I said before, I'm gonna rebuild it as if i plan to win the Daytona 500 with it. :smokin: DOING IT FOR DALE! :laughing:

Last edited:
Ok hoping for some experts on this one. From reading through the book about rebuilding quadrajets, it mentions that if the base plate on the carb doesn't have the vacuum port for power brakes it's easy to drill it. Ok, so look at the carb I took off, no vacuum port there, and I know I have power brakes, new carb that arrives tomorrow doesn't have it either. So I wondered how, if at all, my brake booster was hooked up. The vacuum line is run to a threaded port on the rear of the intake manifold. Is that sufficient? Should I drill and tap the carb for that vacuum port?

Ok carb has arrived, amazingly well shipped. No complaints there. No complaints at all really besides about myself because now if I'm in for a penny I'm in for a pound lol. There is very slight wobble to the throttle shaft from years of use, and from the "good book" and the forum for quadrajets at Cliff's High performance, That's a built in vacuum leak, no matter how slight. So I already know it's getting a bushing kit put in it for that. So much for budget quadrabog rebuild kit and just run it :laughing:
The entire brake system replacement is sitting around in boxes already, and all the parts to fix the ignition switch that I had to destroy to remove since I didn't have the key for it. I've got an ignition switch in it now, but it dangles from the wires, it's not in the dash, and already had one sketchy moment where I was diving for the floor board trying to shut it off. I ordered the proper for the year ignition and lock set that's all just one square key, not the square key and round key like 73 and up.
Back to the quadrajet, and as I've said at least twice now, if i'm gonna rebuild it I'm gonna do it perfect. So in the end now, between buying this core, making the throttle shaft bushings perfect, and the rebuild kit, I probably coulda bought a Holley and threw it on there, but I'm learning alot, and when it runs like a raped ape I'll know I built it. The body might look like a bag of smashed assholes but it'll run right. :smokin:

holley cant beat a qjet for a mild engine for throttle response low end tq and mpg in my exp.

replying to the above post that may or may not be about the engine in my truck. According to my buddy, who's the son in law of the guy I bought the truck from, The engine in it isn't the original one, it's supposedly a crate motor. Knowing the guy like I do now, and his love of cars and building race cars and all, it's probably a crate motor, and wouldn't shock me if it's slightly cammed up from stock, but I have no proof at all of that, and haven't called back to ask him.

Update to the carb stuff, I've ordered a bushing kit now for the throttle shaft, and the complete rebuild kit. So between the new core, random misc tools I'll need for the rebuild, and the stuff I just ordered, I've got a couple hundred bucks in a carburetor that should run like a top.

Had grand plans of rebuilding the carb today and completing that, and also totally rebuilding the brakes on the truck, which was basically unrealistic since it doesn't sit right in my yard to walk out and work on it. Also wasted a couple hours this morning buying a hundred dollar riding mower. Anyway, carb is torn down and soaking in carb cleaner, but all the brakes are rebuilt now.
20230610_163906.jpg
20230610_155229.jpg
20230610_152853.jpg

That truck is gorgeous
besides the oddly out of place cracked to shit steering wheel, yeah the inside is in amazing shape, besides interior rust right above the windshield on the driver side. Of course the customary rocker panel rot. ignition switch is now safely back in the dash where it belongs instead of laying on the floor hanging by it's wires LOL
20230610_150935.jpg
20230610_151009.jpg
20230610_150956.jpg

20230610_150917.jpg

NO AND DEN! :flipoff2::laughing:
Nothing new really. Been at work all week and messing with the 100 dollar lawn mower. The truck is at dad's house so if he's not off somewhere in his RV like he usually is now that he's retired, I'll go visit him tomorrow and while there at least take the carb out of the bucket of brake cleaner and spray it down with canned carb clean and blow air through all the little passages and all. I've got too many damn projects lol. My lifelong best friend David who is not mechanically inclined at all thinks I'm nuts because everything I buy I have to tinker on. When something of his breaks though he appreciates it though.

Went back to the truck today, dad was gone, (not surprising anymore), and got the carb out of the bucket of carb cleaner and rinsed it in gas, then sprayed it with carb clean. I was getting a bit paranoid that I'd come back to a bucket of melted aluminum after letting it soak for a week, but if it's like brake kleen and paint stripper and everything else these days, I might as well have soaked it in a bucket of piss for a week :laughing:

I'm sure it is lol. It soaked about a week, then I took it out of teh carb cleaner and washed it with gas, then put it aside again. Got busy working on the 100 dollar lawn mower, 92 chevy has a misfire again, and sailboat AC quit working because the water strainer stopped up. So basically been too busy to revisit it. I can't wait til it's running and driving so I can park it in my yard and not dad's so that I can just tinker on it after work.

Today while I was waiting for the new front tire to be installed on the Harley dad picked me up and we moved the truck closer to his shop so people stop seeing it and pulling up asking if it's for sale :laughing:
Brakes worked good and got a few pics while we drug it around with his lawn tractor.
20230722_111218.jpg
20230722_111558.jpg
20230722_112140.jpg

Finally a little update. Rebuilt the carb finally today. Went pretty uneventful, besides memory issues since it had been so long since tearing it apart. Lots of phone pics saved the day on that one. Needs a new choke, didn't realize the old one was broken til today, and the one off the other carb doesn't fit, so got to get one of those. Otherwise ready to bolt on and try it. Ran out of time today though.
20230930_151344.jpg

Top Back Refresh