What's new

1940 Buick

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
Guess I should bring this thread over, i've hassled enough other people to bring threads over and everybody can always use more filler just O.K. build threads :flipoff2: everything else in Gen4x4 is nice stuff. i'm going to try and cut ~575 pictures down to a more manageable size, but i still ramble.

Welp, might as well post up my glacially slow and hack fab build over here. at this point, all content is good content, right?
thefinger.gif

1940 Buick 4 Door
2005 LM7
TH350
203/300 doubler. will be 32 spline in and out when i get around to it
FJ60 axles, 4.56 gear, ARB rear, Detroit front 63 or 65" front, i'll have to measure one of these days and 61" or so rear
122"ish wheelbase
37" tires, recentered 8 bolt wheels
4 link front/rear
14" radflo 2.0 remote res shocks
q-amp steering, high volume pump, hydraulic brakes, hydraulic winch, hydraulic steering

Overly Complex Hydraulic System - irate4x4

Toyota Pickup Brake Bible - 4x4 North
this is my first attempt at a custom chassis and i'm not cautious or patient, so it will hopefully be close enough to functional
cheers.gif

bringing home the body and title

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2431.JPG Views:	39 Size:	421.1 KB ID:	274616

started off putting things where they go to see what it will look like

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2433.JPG Views:	37 Size:	425.0 KB ID:	274617

lots of measuring and lots of drawing to come up with a rough goal for the chassis

Click image for larger version Name:	getting close chassis.png Views:	37 Size:	369.2 KB ID:	274618

i bought the drivetrain as a package deal, turns out the "never had an issues with it" front axle had a hole. I'm going to keep my grouching about it to a minimum, but feel that the "buy used parts, check them extra or just expect them to be trash" motto always needs to be brought up. this is no particular dig at the seller.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2463.JPG Views:	37 Size:	406.1 KB ID:	274619

don't run no oil, it destroys the gears

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2431.JPG Views:	39 Size:	421.1 KB ID:	274616

Last edited:
being a toyota guy, i've spent most of my life on 8" diffs, so i'm excited to try out the 9.5" stuff.

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

bought a bunch of tube, being a cheap bastard i went with 1-3/4" tube everywhere. 0.188 for the lower part of the subframe, 0.120 for the main structure, 0.090 for all the straight filler pieces. need more garage next time

IMG_2489.JPG

bought a rogue fab bender. keeping it on a harbor freight moving dolly is far and away the most space saver bending setup i could come up with. don't have a solid table or clear weather outside

IMG_2499.JPG

and i bought a rogue fab notcher many years ago. easy and works well. every now and then have to do some weird ones by hand, but overall worth it as far as i'm concerned.

IMG_2502.JPG

for years anytime somebody would ask me about working on or building cars, the first thing was always "focus on the tires, build around the suspension, base the chassis off the subframe" so, had to finally put some money where my mouth was
homersimpson.gif

the axles came with link mounts, 4 rear, 3 front, from 4wheelunderground. brian was actually right down the street from me at the time, so i talked to him for a bit. he encouraged me to go 4 front/rear and use the general rules of "flat lowers, as wide on the axle as you can get, uppers as tight on the axle as you can get and as wide on the frame as you can get" so that's what i've been working off.

this was the first and possibly last time i used straps or anything really to try and hold stuff square, and it shows later on
laughing.gif

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2505.JPG Views:	0 Size:	232.7 KB ID:	274637

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2506.JPG Views:	0 Size:	500.5 KB ID:	274636

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2507.JPG Views:	0 Size:	460.9 KB ID:	274638

also bought a CK Worldwide MT-200 tig welder for the house. it only does 140amp on 115v, but i'm likely not going to bother putting 210v service in this house. really enjoy this thing and highly recommend for anybody looking for a 200amp 115v/220v machine.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2508.JPG Views:	0 Size:	371.8 KB ID:	274639

next to my hobart 140. If anybody is the type of person that looks down on flux core welders, you'll be happy to know that i don't give 2 fucks nor bother to clean my welds before taking pictures :) oddly, i'm a welder by trade
icon_e_surprised.gif

image_42462.jpg

cope

IMG_2521.JPG

Clean

IMG_2522.JPG

Weld

IMG_2524.JPG

weld,weld,weld,weld.....weld? they aren't all perfect copes :flipoff2:

IMG_2526.JPG

got it here, needed to do more welding and got tired of welding on the floow

IMG_2529.JPG

Had a fun time with my high torque low speed on/off drill. It now lives on the notcher evermore :laughing:

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

still have just the smallest of scar right there on my cheek

so i made up this little table. the intent was just to be a cutting table

IMG_2531.JPG

but, if it fits it ships. turns out it is also a chassis table
icon_eek.gif

IMG_2532.JPG

there is exactly 1 spot i can bend long tubes at in my garage

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

Made up some adapters. i'm fortunate to be working in a machine shop at the moment and i get to use the equipment to run personal projects during lunch if i'm not otherwise too busy

IMG_2018-04-23_17-17-12.jpeg

IMG_2018-04-23_17-17-25.jpeg

i'm generally wary of but welds in tubes, especially when they are going to be in sheer or high impact areas, so these make me feel better for spots that won't have a joint covering them

IMG_2544.JPG

upside down version of the subframe/floor about done up

IMG_2545.JPG

random picture, tig weld on the right side, flux core on the left side. mostly depends on how comfortable i'm feeling, how many hands i've got available and what side of the garage i'm on for which welder i grab. they are both running 140 amps, so while i get more control with the tig, one isn't inherently any better for gluing these tube together

IMG_2555.JPG

Junkyard hydroboost from a 198? suburban. should make for plenty of crush to math the GX470 brakes i'm running up front

IMG_2549.JPG

PRP seats. i'm only 6'2" tall and ~190lbs on a fat day but still had to go with +2 wide and a tall seat and +4 (35 or 39"?) or so in order to get my head to actually hit the pad. it's amazing how small most seats are. not something i ever though about until i hit a tree going backwards at about 15 mph and put my head through the rear window
rasta.gif

IMG_2550.JPG

harni, harnessess' ? 5.3 for the front seats, 5.2 for the rears for the wife and kid

IMG_2551.JPG

tech tip of the day: If you ever want a GOOD disc for grinding tungsten, get a diamond disc. this was 5 or 10 $ off amazon and will outlast anything that isn't diamond substantially. intended use is "concrete grinding" don't need anything aggressive, but don't get like a 400 grit

IMG_2552.JPG

flipped the frame over and started working on the link placements

IMG_2556.JPG

sometimes the liquid wrench is the only way to get used parts apart.

IMG_2557.JPG

did a bunch of playing and flipping and around of stuff to what goes where

IMG_2601.JPG

and this is why i'm going to a 32 spline input to the D300 to match the 32 spline outputs. internal twists i'm okay with on used parts. still cheaper than buying all new and actually getting lightweight stuff that works as it should

IMG_2598.JPG

driveshaft clearance without a rise in the floor should be nice later.

IMG_2603.JPG

and from concept

IMG_2617.JPG

to reality for link brackets. i'm way too cheap to spring for even a chinese plasma or to bother making wheels/rollers for my torch. if it isn't free hand i just don't want it
thefinger.gif
same goes for 'walking the cup' welding and battery powered tools. can't have that cheating stuff in my life
Headbang.gif

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

laughing.gif
oh yeah, my worlds cheapest freestanding drill press doesn't like to drill holes. sometimes the belt slips to let me know i've gone too far, sometimes the chuck pops off
garfield.gif

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

random note: the 8" deep truck pan is much too much to be acceptable. still need to find/buy a cheap pan. can't hardly bring myself to spend $250 on one. for that price i might fuck around and make one
homersimpson.gif

IMG_2674.JPG

suspension mockup is important. i've heard so is adjust-ability. unless i'm way off, probably won't mess with the Anti squat much though

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

and trying out the front

IMG_2679.JPG

it's amazing how precise a bucket can be if you adjust your measurements to 'number of buckets'

IMG_2681.JPG

safety is important when using an engine hoist that came out of somebody elses scrap pile. really should just put new seals in that and my floor jack. oh well, metal from the cutting table also works.

IMG_2682.JPG

motor mount and engine skid in place. hence why the 8" pan won't do, but a 5.5" should fit

IMG_2683.JPG

everybody has to post pictures of snow when it snows, well, it snowed
IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

also started on the worlds worst transfercase mount. i hate it, but it's still there
laughing.gif

IMG_2689.JPG

i'm reusing some joints, wasn't able to cleanly cut this one out
laughing.gif
it will be replaced, so i stuck it in backwards so i hopefully wouldn't forget

IMG_2711.JPG

seemed like a good spot for the uppers at the time

IMG_2714.JPG

upper links tower of power. lower links are mount above axle centerline, so to keep 10" of separation these jokers got tall

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

Compared to the old 3 link uppper mount

IMG_2718.JPG

so i tried to use a level and be halfway decent about it

IMG_2724.JPG

used some string to mark out the body, chopped the bottom 6" off of it and just kind of hacked around the wheelwells

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

upper shock mounts

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

yes, they are a massive lever, but i'm hopeing that tying them together will keep them from ripping off in dramatic fashion
rasta.gif

slappin up some more tube

IMG_2809.JPG

Precarious cut

IMG_2817.JPG

but it actually worked very well and didn't feel like death at all

IMG_2821.JPG

outline of tubes pretty well set

IMG_2823.JPG

stared at some tape

IMG_2825.JPG

Until it turned into tube

IMG_2826.JPG

i've only got 3 seats, because when i started my kid was small enough for a car seat with harness. by the time i get done, he'll need his own PRP seat
laughing.gif

IMG_2827.JPG

and a shot of the whole variety of the cheapest calipers you can buy. the verniers are far and away more consistent/accurate/repeatable/reliable than the other two

IMG_2830.JPG

busted out my high precision band saw to make some quick tabs

IMG_2831.JPG

and make setup quality rear upper shock mounts. these actually seem to clear where i want to put the interior so there is a good chance they will simply get braced where they are at. it's only temporary unless it works
rasta.gif

IMG_2832.JPG

when i went to pick up the chassis to put the shocks on, i managed to destroy the front suspension
homersimpson.gif

IMG_2835.JPG

and let the magic smoke out of one of the shocks

IMG_2837.JPG

magic ratchet straps to the rescue!

IMG_2839.JPG

i can't keep focused on any one thing long enough to get it done, so i figured i'd install the detroit i picked up for the front and get the new gears put in it.

you don't really need the right tools, as long as you have some tools
cheers.gif

IMG_2847.JPG

while i don't mind using cheap calipers on most things, a decent digital mic is worth having for measuring shims

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

pretty these pictures are of the last setup that i did. good, bad or otherwise i'm not taking it apart again until it breaks
thefinger.gif
trying to match a used, previously run pattern :rasta:

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

Oh man! I been following this from the start. It might take a bit, but your method is good. I hope to see some good progress in these pics!

thanks! I'm going to keep updateing it on 4x4north as well as here. Today is the first day in nearly a year that i actually went out and messed with it :(

thanks! I'm going to keep updateing it on 4x4north as well as here. Today is the first day in nearly a year that i actually went out and messed with it :(

I know the feeling, i haven't done any work on mine since March of last year...i actually need to get it rolling so i can wheel it outside and tarp it:rolleyes:Taking up valuable room in my shop. Too many projects, too little time... one day I'll die and won't care anymore:laughing:Or i might actually get it done and roll it over 8 times my inaugural run:eek:At least I'd get street cred:smokin:

i sold the regular hubs that came with this axle when i sold my old minitruck axle, so i'm running my IFS hubs. I've owned these hubs since 2001 i think? came with the truck in stock form, 1987 pickup was my first truck. the very first time i got stuck offroading and couldn't get out, i called my grandma, who was still spry and only in her 70's then, and me and her hiked in a couple miles with a come-along and 4 lengths of "old loggin' chains" to rescue me from my "boonie crashing"
laughing2.gif
still use those chains and just scrapped the now broken comalong last week. just a few months ago in a fit of depression, i finally sold the title for that truck and away it's carcass went to the scrap yard.

IMG_2869.JPG

so there's some snapped pins and sheared studs on those now...time to fix that!

7/16-14 bolt upgrade and more pins should do the trick

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

also, the rear brakes were absolutely trashed on this thing, damn studs had been both welded in before and had spot welds to "build up the splines" :shaking: don't do that. if you need to get some broken shit off the trail, just weld them in place. weld on the splines isn't worth it

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

I know the feeling, i haven't done any work on mine since March of last year...i actually need to get it rolling so i can wheel it outside and tarp it:rolleyes:Taking up valuable room in my shop. Too many projects, too little time... one day I'll die and won't care anymore:laughing:Or i might actually get it done and roll it over 8 times my inaugural run:eek:At least I'd get street cred:smokin:

i think it was the build thread "driveway build" where a dude did that. Built a dopass buggy rolling in and out of the garage, mostly in the driveway. got a divorce, got freedom, finished the buggy and absolutely yard sale'd it on day 1 and twisted and bent up a bunch of stuff :laughing: Damn!

I don't remember the username, but i'm pretty sure he fixed it? it's been a while :laughing:

to my advantage, nothing is particularly straight to start with on mine :laughing:

it was previously set up to use stock toyota solid axle disc rotors and calipers. i had tacoma rotors that i'd previously used and couldn't give away, so....#fuckit slip on rotors are better than press on, plus i already had em. looks close enough on hat

IMG_2878.JPG

i'd like to take a moment to thank my sponsor TIDY CATS, we soak up your shit!

IMG_2879.JPG

took the shaft in to work and turned the OD down and recut the face to clean up the smooshed out metal

IMG_2880.JPG

stock toyota IFS front wheel studs to replace whatever was there before

IMG_2881.JPG

and back together, well one side anyways

IMG_2883.JPG

pretty much there. might need to do an 1/8" spacer, might just not bolt them solidly and let them float. not set on anything at the moment. fixed calipers on semi float axle is probably going to be a pain in the ass, but i'm hoping the 1-1/8" master cylinder will make up for whatever knockback/slack it ends up getting

IMG_2886.JPG

now that it was all together, pulled it out of the garage for the first time. finally counts as a car
cheers.gif

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

body needed to be trimmed some more, it was still sitting a few inches higher than it should have been

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

Top Back Refresh