What's new

13 bolt covers

Blase

Member Number
Looking for guys that have experience running 13 bolt covers (that delete the lowest bolt) for the 14 bolt axle. I have had one ( I THINK either barnes or Ruf stuff) kicking around the shop for a couple of projects now. Never used it or even bolted it up to see how much it cut off.

Well over the weekend I go to install it and it leaves little to no seal area at the bottom which will see the most rock contact.

Has anyone had success keeping one of these covers sealed up?

The line that I scribed is the bottom of the over. I can leave another 1/8 so the cover isn't first thing dragging over the rocks. The sealing surface is the same regardless though.

13 bolt shave.jpg

13 bolt cover.jpg

I didn't take any of the cover itself but its pretty heavy duty! Just double checking to see if this is normal before I cut anything!!

Mine was cut then I welded a thin piece of plate on the bottom that hung past the cover so it wouldn’t catch. Ar plate would be sweet.

Mine was cut then I welded a thin piece of plate on the bottom that hung past the cover so it wouldn’t catch. Ar plate would be sweet.
I thought about doing that as well. Pc of 1/4 AR that sits flush with the cover would help it stay sealed i'd imagine.

Did you cut look about like what I have scribed?

Edit: I also considered pressing a SLIGHT bend into the cover so the center touches first and the two outside bolts pull it down.....but decided that's not a good idea to start with. I can always try that later IF it doesn't want to stay sealed up.

You should just get the tmr shave kit at this point:flipoff2:

I had one that i cut where you show it. Welded a piece of plate on the bottom like you describe and it held just fine for years. I did 1/4" but i think 1/8" ar would be fine, all your pressure will be pushing up into the cover. The only issue could be peel if you back into something.
I just used silicone on the entire L shape.

You should just get the tmr shave kit at this point:flipoff2:

I had one that i cut where you show it. Welded a piece of plate on the bottom like you describe and it held just fine for years. I did 1/4" but i think 1/8" ar would be fine, all your pressure will be pushing up into the cover. The only issue could be peel if you back into something.
I just used silicone on the entire L shape.
Perfect!! Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I made a 13 bolt cover on mine out of a 14 bolt cover. I got a little too wild with the grinder and walla. A 13 bolt!:lmao: Does it leak? Hell yeah. I’ve just lived with the leak for years. :emb:

I thought about doing that as well. Pc of 1/4 AR that sits flush with the cover would help it stay sealed i'd imagine.

Did you cut look about like what I have scribed?

Edit: I also considered pressing a SLIGHT bend into the cover so the center touches first and the two outside bolts pull it down.....but decided that's not a good idea to start with. I can always try that later IF it doesn't want to stay sealed up.
Yes that’s where mine was cut.

15 bolt FTW...

There's not that much more sealing surface on the 15 bolt one either.

I have a Motobilt cover on my buggy. I scribed it and added maybe 1/8" and then plated the entire bottom with 1/4" and left it overlap the cover. We've broken and dented the bottom of 14b's before, that cast center might as well be made of cheese. It's been sealed since 2020 with no issues.

I kept the 14th bolt and modified a stock cover. Ground smooth as a baby's ass. Works fine.

I have a Motobilt cover on my buggy. I scribed it and added maybe 1/8" and then plated the entire bottom with 1/4" and left it overlap the cover. We've broken and dented the bottom of 14b's before, that cast center might as well be made of cheese. It's been sealed since 2020 with no issues.
I need to do that. Mine leaks like a sieve.

I did a shave.
I applied a coat of JB Weld to help prevent future leaks.

1710937067340.jpeg

I take it you don't trust your welding skills... If it was welded inside and out, how's it going to leak trough the welds....

Last edited:
i have the motobilt one. and works well

Can makes foto's of the axle tomorrow. Mounted the cover and then with a recipro saw cut the chunck off....

What about adding some material to the seal surface on the inside? Looks looks like a lot of room between the ring gear.

That's kind of what I was thinking after looking at the pics posted - could weld some plate in, flat file, and have a pretty good sealing surface. I just did a TMR shave and doubt it has much more clearance then what you've got going... And not much more in the seal surface department

Top Back Refresh