What's new

06 Mega Cab stereo

spareparts

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Got an 06 daily driver 3500 5.9 Megacab. Been a long time since I've shopped stereos for cars. This thing needs some speakers. It has the stock radio. Its not the navigation center, it will be replaced at some time, but not now. Has the factory 7 speaker Infinity speakers. I'm no audiophile, I'm about half deaf. I don't want to spend a ton( I really should be spending the money on parts, not speakers). I do like enjoying a wide variety of music. I'm planning on keeping the stock amp and crossover till i replace the head unit. hopefully that wont be too long. Probably ditching or leaving teh stock center channel speaker in place. replacing the dash speakers(think they are 3 inch?), front door speakers (6X9) and rear door speakers(5 1/2?). I'm partial to Infinity, but of theres a better match for my needs, I'm all ears. i spent an hour on crutchfield site, got more questions than answers . I'll be looking for a head unit probably after the first of the year, so keep that in mind.

I had the same truck a few years ago, also with the infinity speakers. I added an aftermarket head-unit and 2-12" subs with amp and was happy. The Infinity speakers were pretty decent enough for me. Crutchfield had adapter harnesses to hookup an aftermarket headunit to the factory stuff and be able to use the steering wheel controls as well as control the Infinity stuff.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a nice adapter to fit a double din headunit in my factory bezel so had to do some trimming and gluing to make something work.

There is a company out there that makes sub boxes that fit in the place where the factory storage box is behind the rear seats. So the rear seats can still fully recline.

IMG_20141228_094522851_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141228_094621780_HDR.jpg

If there are no problems with the speakers, leave them alone. No sense in replacing something that your not going to hear the difference on.

Since you mentioned Crutchfield, did you see this page:

It specifically goes over what's needed when replacing any of the stereo components. Personally, I would just stick with replacing the stereo itself.

What ever you choose, good luck... :beer:

Got an 06 daily driver 3500 5.9 Megacab. Been a long time since I've shopped stereos for cars. This thing needs some speakers. It has the stock radio. Its not the navigation center, it will be replaced at some time, but not now. Has the factory 7 speaker Infinity speakers. I'm no audiophile, I'm about half deaf. I don't want to spend a ton( I really should be spending the money on parts, not speakers). I do like enjoying a wide variety of music. I'm planning on keeping the stock amp and crossover till i replace the head unit. hopefully that wont be too long. Probably ditching or leaving teh stock center channel speaker in place. replacing the dash speakers(think they are 3 inch?), front door speakers (6X9) and rear door speakers(5 1/2?). I'm partial to Infinity, but of theres a better match for my needs, I'm all ears. i spent an hour on crutchfield site, got more questions than answers . I'll be looking for a head unit probably after the first of the year, so keep that in mind.

Posting to follow this for answers, as I have the exact same truck and need to change the speakers plus the stereo at the same time.

Do you have the factory hands free U connect? Are you planning on keeping it?

Posting to follow this for answers, as I have the exact same truck and need to change the speakers plus the stereo at the same time.

Do you have the factory hands free U connect? Are you planning on keeping it?
don't think I do

Hit Crutchfield up on black Friday sales. Spent <$300. All infinity refernce series. 3 inch in the dash, 6x9 in the front doors, 6.5 in the rear. Sounds decent. Was thinking about adding a powered sub(infinity 10 inch) under the rear seat to help from blowing my new speakers. Looks like it's a rabbit hole yo go any further. Will need new head unit with sub outputs, will probably have to use a high power unit with 3 separate zones or add an amp to run at least one set of speakers. Some of the marine units I've seen on customers boats have three and 4 zones. Plus sub outputs. Any sugestins on a double din unit, needs three zones, sub preamp outputs. Would like rear camera and comparable with Android. This is no high end set up, sounds better than the shit that was in it. My hearing is pretty bad, I was happy to hear and understand podcast at lower volumes and still be able to jammout to Cadillac Three.

Top Back Refresh