What's new

01 Ram 2500 4x4 auto trans questions/advice

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
So I have an 01 Ram with the 5.9 gasser and an automatic trans, I think it's a 46RE
It's leaking fluid out the bellhousing
I have read it's probably the pump seal so I ordered that, going to do new tranny lines while I'm at it.
Does this all sound reasonable/possible? I haven't put it on a lift yet to really look over the tranny lines but is it possible they could be leaking above and running down out the bellhousing?
I have scheduled the use of a 4 post lift later in the week to do the work on, if I don't have to pull tranny that would be great!
Another question that you guys may find stupid but...I have an auxiliary trans cooler, the lines go to that only and not through the radiator, is that normal on a HD truck, this thing has a 8800# GVWR it was spec'ed for a municipality so it has aux cooler for both trans and oil. I recently bought it, have yet to register it, I want it reliable, it only has 75K on it.
Thanks

Well is it coming out of or down the out side of the bell housing?

Or did you just see atf on the ground and ordered the seal?

Well is it coming out of or down the out side of the bell housing?

Or did you just see atf on the ground and ordered the seal?

Coming right out of the bellhousing, leaving a puddle on the ground. From the info I found on the web it seems the seal is a common thing.

She's going on the lift tomorrow, pulling trans and replacing seal, I bought new transmission lines too to be safe.

Well trans lines are rotted, got the trans slid back enough to get the seal out, I got the shim/bushing out too :( I ordered another seal kit that comes with the bushing, I'm hoping it's self explanatory how far in it goes.
Any insight?

ATSG 46RE service book in PDF form:
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/46RE.pdf

It's easier to change the bushing if you remove the front pump and split the pump. The bushing needs to be staked in place once it's pressed in.

You will need a new pump gasket and o-ring if you take the pump out. Also, tighten the front band screw to 72 inch pounds to retain the front drum before you pull the pump. Then it will go back together without issue. Adjust the front band after it's back together.

ATSG 46RE service book in PDF form:
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...alogs/46RE.pdf

It's easier to change the bushing if you remove the front pump and split the pump. The bushing needs to be staked in place once it's pressed in.

You will need a new pump gasket and o-ring if you take the pump out. Also, tighten the front band screw to 72 inch pounds to retain the front drum before you pull the pump. Then it will go back together without issue. Adjust the front band after it's back together.

I appreciate your info, thanks

Last edited:
Marty, SoCal...I have a somewhat major leak, (loses a cup or more of fluid) when the truck just sits as in like overnight. In the pdf , figure 2 the 2wd version right below the ID tag there is a plug, what is that? When I unplugged that plug the whole thing seemed to lift up a bit, I pushed it back down. I haven't had the chance to run it up the lift again to see if that's where the fluid is coming from or not.
Thank you
Also I have a 4wd I think my trans is a 46RH?

Well it looks like it's the solenoid case connector. It looks like it is put in from inside the pan, has a couple of O rings that hold it in. Could those O rings be bad?

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be the o-ring on the electrical connector. It is replaceable. Clean the area well and then observe it for seeps

Also check the seal for the shifter where it comes up out of the case below the shift levers. It can also leak between the throttle lever and the shifter lever. there's a seal on the throttle lever shaft, too.

As it sits, the fluid level rises as the torque converter drains back into the over time.

Sounds like it may be the o-ring on the electrical connector. It is replaceable. Clean the area well and then observe it for seeps

Also check the seal for the shifter where it comes up out of the case below the shift levers. It can also leak between the throttle lever and the shifter lever. there's a seal on the throttle lever shaft, too.

As it sits, the fluid level rises as the torque converter drains back into the over time.

Thanks, I am pretty sure that's where it's leaking. I cleaned it good yesterday and pushed the connector down in and it seems to be dry after a few hours. I'll check it again this morning.

as far as which trans it is, if it's original to your 01 it's a 46RE/A618. Here are some pics that might help ID both an RH and RE -

A518 side picture (yellow is the 2/3-pin plug location (8-pin on the RE models), green is the neutral safety switch location) -

BK5cTDf.jpg

2-pin RH plug 'non-lockup' (A-518/46RH 'diesel'), removed from tranny housing -

4fTX9SU.jpg

3-pin RH plug 'lockup' (A-618/46RH, and 47RH 'diesel') and similar gasser A-518 versions -

uGm731E.jpg

8-pin RE plug 'lockup'(A-618/46RE/47RE 'diesel') -

Svv7MXF.jpg

Last edited:
as far as which trans it is, if it's original to your 01 it's a 46RE/A618. Here are some pics that might help ID both an RH and RE -

A518 side picture (yellow is the 2/3-pin plug location (8-pin on the RE models), green is the neutral safety switch location) -

BK5cTDf.jpg

2-pin RH plug 'non-lockup' (A-518/46RH 'diesel'), removed from tranny housing -

4fTX9SU.jpg

3-pin RH plug 'lockup' (A-618/46RE, and 47RH 'diesel') and similar gasser A-518 versions -

uGm731E.jpg

8-pin RE plug 'lockup'(A-618/46RE/47RE 'diesel') -

Svv7MXF.jpg

Thank you, that helps me a lot. I'll have to look under it later to see how many wires I have.
I do believe this is where the leak is, yesterday I pushed the connector down in as hard as I could and no leaks today.

correction to one line: "3-pin RH plug 'lockup' (A-618/46RE, and 47RH 'diesel') and similar gasser A-518 versions -" - that should read A-618/46RH (not RE)

sure thing. If it's the connector plug then there's just either one or two o-rings that seal it to the case - simple R&R...except for getting to it...

Top Back Refresh