What's new

01 cummins clutch options

Redtruggy

I cant type or spell.
Member Number
Loc
Gone crazy
Need some input/options for a clutch for my 01 2500,finishing rebuild on the cummins now and rebuild in the nv5600, will be around 350-400 hp max, all i use the truck for is towing race trailer(10-12k) and occasional normal truck stuff/back up dd. No race bs or dumb shit.
Dont want a ceramic button as i dont want harsh engagement but dont want a junk fiber that wont last.
Also dont really want to spend 1500-2k on a dual disk as i dont feel it's warranted for what im doing.
Any experience/recommendations for a clutch?

Truck is 4x, quad cab,with a big flatbed,weighs in at just over 10k for the truck. Put maybe 8-10k miles a year on it.

I had a south bend dual disk in my old 01 and got 80k out of it mostly towing heavy shit. It went through a set of hydraulics half way through but other than that it was great. It was a little more light switchy than I prefer. I have a valair dual disk in my 03 and I much prefer the feel over the south bend.

Order a valair dual disc, knowing it's the right part for the job, and you'll never have to deal with it again.

Everything else is a compromise between smoking it or too grabby... either will piss you off every time.

I have the 4044 or whatever southbend on my psd and it drives nice and takkes off from a stop while compleatly overloaded well. Got 100k out of my last one. Seems like a good value for 5-600

Believe it or not RockAuto have dual disk clutch for under $1,000. It’s what I’ll try. I ain’t paying >$1000 just for in clutch parts. That’s criminal :laughing:

1699976640481.png

Rated to 700hp/1300tq•ft

I have had Southbend dual disc's on 2 trucks now and both have been great.

Personally, I'd rather use a more factory style clutch. I hear too many stories of guys blowing out thier transmission with fancy clutches. Even the mighty 5600.

Personally, I'd rather use a more factory style clutch. I hear too many stories of guys blowing out thier transmission with fancy clutches. Even the mighty 5600.
I’ll choose the one I screenshotted above, as it appears to be the good middle ground between violently grabbing single disk (or stiff clutch pedal) and ‘too strong’ dual disk clutch set up. And of course the price is great for what it is.

I have LuK’s 13” Cerametallic OE replacement clutch in my 12v Cummins. I contacted tech support at LuK asking what its torque rating is. They actually replied. 1,000 N•m (~740 lb•ft). I believe it as can’t make it to slip with the p-pump fully turned up. Fully stock fuel system other than typical p-pump tweaks (fuel plate deletion, rack travel mod, etc. and AFC LIVE) feeding through S362SXE. FWIW.

My only complaint about the LuK clutch that it’s more of a switch. Very difficult to have a control as the friction zone is very small. I use 4low (with hubs unlocked) to just dump the clutch & let it idle backing up into the driveway with trailer or alike as a fix for now.

My 06 Ram 3500 had a south bend twin disc and the floater plate ears broke off and it failed after around 80K miles. I went with a Valair dual disc clutch and towed with the truck all the time I put 40K miles on it when I sold the truck. The new owner was towing a 40' gooseneck with it and last I heard he blew up the motor turning the tuner up to full kill and not watching the egt and the clutch was still good and reused on the rebuilt motor. I had southbend hydraulics on it the entire time as well.

I had a southbend dual disk with the upgraded hydraulics in my 13 dually and never had an issue with it. The pedal wasn’t bad either. Anyone could drive it comfortably

Thanks for input, went ahead and got a twin disc fiber valeir. Shall see how it does on e i get engine back from machine shop this week hopefully

Top Back Refresh