What's new

What is today's equivalent "Explorer F8.8" axle swap?

Whats the wall thickness? Anti wrap bar professionally welded on but was it designed correctly? Pics?

Ok, but what about its tube diameter and wall thickness?:homer:
wall thickness of 8.8 is .188 or .250 depending on application. Mine was .188. Barnes 4x4 kit on anti wrap bar. When mounted on 44 it was gusseted with 1/4 inch plate to spread load over larger area of tube. So far so good.
Isuzu 44 is 3" diameter.

I bought a complete 79 D44 hub to hub with radius arms, coils, trackbar, steering, I think even the radius arm brackets, for $150

Your junkyard sucks:flipoff2:

I bought a complete 79 D44 hub to hub with radius arms, coils, trackbar, steering, I think even the radius arm brackets, for $150

Your junkyard sucks:flipoff2:
How complete is it really when 75% is missing due to rust :flipoff2:

I think it is still pretty hard to go wrong with the 5x4.5 8.8" axle for a TJ rear. There really isn't any other option that doesn't require messing around with bolt patterns. The only other good 5x4.5 axle is TJ/cherokee 44 rears but they tend to bring big money. The TJ ones are 100% bolt in if you can find them though so that saves some money on fab and brackets.

I went Isuzu 44 rear but I was also swapping my front to a waggy axle so that solved the 6x5.5 isuzu lug pattern issue. They are a great option for swapping something that matches a front waggy and has discs and a parking break that is relatively easy to hook up to the existing TJ handle.
Agree with everything you said about the Isuzu 44, have the same waggy Isuzu pair in my yj. I like the Isuzu 44 also for the fact that never been to a pick and pull where there isn’t a few available. Parts are easy to find and cheap so having spares isn’t a big deal.

wall thickness of 8.8 is .188 or .250 depending on application. Mine was .188. Barnes 4x4 kit on anti wrap bar. When mounted on 44 it was gusseted with 1/4 inch plate to spread load over larger area of tube. So far so good.
Isuzu 44 is 3" diameter.

I still don't see where you've mentioned the Isuzu 44 wall thickness?

Agree with everything you said about the Isuzu 44, have the same waggy Isuzu pair in my yj. I like the Isuzu 44 also for the fact that never been to a pick and pull where there isn’t a few available. Parts are easy to find and cheap so having spares isn’t a big deal.

What years Isuzu D44 is the one to get?

I think the 97 and later Isuzu 44 have the bigger ring/pinion and I think all are multilink/coil set up with discs - Rodeo, Passport, Rodeo Sport/Amigo. Early to mid 90's Rodeo, Passport and Pickup they were a standard 8.5" 44, leaf springs, discs brakes (I have one in the rear of my Trooper)

Top Back Refresh