What's new

Welding chain to master lock

Snoop dogg

Saturday Night Special
Member Number
Loc
not in PDX
My buddy is hoping I can weld a chain to his lock. I guess the garbage guy keeps losing the locks??

It's a master lock mh530cd.....boron carbide shackle. STEEL BODY.

Any issue just welding a link of the chain to the steel body?

As I don't think I'll have any luck welding to the shackle bc of the material. I've never even tried to weld to hardened steel in the 25 years I've been welding.

Just concerned if the locking mechanism will have any issue with heat. It would be just a little bit bigger than a tack weld anyway so not much heat. He would like to keep a lock with a hardened shackle like this bc he's in Portland,or and theives.

There's options too. Haha
1. Weld it and see if it works or if he's out another $30 lock
2. JB weld it
3. Find an all steel non hardened lock to weld too.

As I've been told this is just to keep the lock from disappearing.

If they’re stealing your garbage and your locks it’s time to move.

Tack the chain to the body. Let it cool off and then tack it on the other side of the chain. If the lock still works tack it again at the point of the chain. If everything’s still good put a couple racks on the inside of the chain.

Something like this.
33437555-AB4D-4D7E-8436-93F18896FFAA.jpeg

Not like theres a load on that lock. Zap the hasp to the chain an see wtf. I bet it will be fine, seen a few done like that

The garbage company that empties the dumpster at my buddies business has lost his padlock a few times apparently. But won't fess up.

His thought is the chain welded to padlock will prevent this scenario again. Needs his gates locked, it's a legal pot grow room in Portland. Lol.

Just looking to help my buddy. Hell I was stick welding cast iron drain rings 2 weeks ago. I'm totally overthinking it, but $30 is $30 bucks for a padlock so if I can send him something back that works that's my goals.

Don't know much about locks and brass, how the heat would effect the mechanism. I do know that brass and steel will cool at different speed.

Hoping someone had done this and would be like "oh ya no fkn problem, weld that fucker up". "quit bein a puss". Lol

I definitely have not welded boron carbide.

I have welded a shit ton of shitty chain to other shit.

zap a link to the center of the bend and go worry about shit that is important:laughing:

You dont need to try an burn the thing in half. Just a lil stitch on each side.

Reactions: DMG
zap a link to the center of the bend and go worry about shit that is important:laughing:

You dont need to try an burn the thing in half. Just a lil stitch on each side.
Oh I'm just sittin on the couch with dinner and Netflix. Smoked some hashish and thought what dumb question could I send out to the irates, and popped in my head this lock I got sitting on my table. Ha!

I don't know if it will work or not, but if it doesn't atleast the chain will be on the lock.

My first option would be to beat the garbage truck driver with the chain, I bet he won't forget after that :laughing:.
My buddy has fought for lesser disrespkt, he's usually down to throw hands 😂.

So between the boron carbide, my buddy not handlin binness, and the hash. I'm real confused

Put the lock on the chain then a small hose clamp on the shackle so it cant slip off

Or a shackle colar and clip the small chain to the fence

Then they need to get a different job.
They're trash truck drivers....

The pot grower needs to be there or have some employee there to unlock their shit, on thier property, that they're worried about getting stolen which in turn puts all responsibility on them who are the responsible party in the end.

It ain't the trash man's fault. Anywhere around my area if your dumpster is locked up or in a locked, or fenced or gated "bay" if it's not open when the truck shows up, your shit is still there.

Weld to the body not the shackle.
The shackle failure mode for the heat effected are of the supposed weld will make the lock worthless.
The body won't be damaged by a little tack weld.

They're trash truck drivers....

The pot grower needs to be there or have some employee there to unlock their shit, on thier property, that they're worried about getting stolen which in turn puts all responsibility on them who are the responsible party in the end.

It ain't the trash man's fault. Anywhere around my area if your dumpster is locked up or in a locked, or fenced or gated "bay" if it's not open when the truck shows up, your shit is still there.
It's waste management, their drivers make pretty decent money. It's a business account and it's their terms. It is the "trash mans" fault.

He locks his gate to protect his assets and the other assets in that yard. He could give a shit about the dumpster, he just doesn't like getting to his business at 730am and the gate open and lock missing.

But many thanks to you and your thoughts sir, sorry this got you a riled up. Are you a trash man?

The shackle failure mode for the heat effected are of the supposed weld will make the lock worthless.

My god we have a legit answer. But I did like all the other solutions irates came up with too.

In my first post I thought it was clear I was concerned about the boron carbide shackle. And I posted that I havent welded hardened steel before. In one Google search I learned that hardened steel shackle will become fubar welding to it. So that's why I asked about the steel body and brass internals.

I was pretty stoned last night so I'm sure I wasn't clear. Hell I'm not real clear sober.

As much as it pains me.....I have to say that PAE suggestion of hammering a hex nut on and welding to the nut would have been my choice for getting chain onto the shackle.

But after many solutions and rants about trash people , I'm just gonna weld it to the body. I'll be sure to post pics today so everyone can sleep sound 2.nite

If its just so the trash co. doesn't loose the lock, have him buy one with a chain
I'll send him this link. I'm just in it to help him with this lock and chain I have at the shop. He can figure things out for the future. I do know the chain needs to be somewhat beefy bc he lives in "hipster" country and the hobos like what's behind door #1

Top Back Refresh