What's new

Tow rig gear ratio

yeah, i just hate and don't understand why the 6r140 doesn't have the same level of aftermarket support. US Shift said they are shooting for the end of this year to have 140 programming for their Quick6 standalone.

that'd be sweet. it'll go a long way to keeping older trucks on the road ~$3-6k for a transmission swap for a huge improvement in driveability instead of ~20k for a whole new truck is a tempting option
IMO the 6r140 behind these early to mid 2k engines is gonna be a real shake up.

Towing with a 4r100 takes a engine to make some serious beans across a wide rpm range.

I can't even begin to tell you what a mess they are... They have a front end vibration that will bounce the tire off the ground... New aluminum wheels, 3 sets of front tires, king shocks and still no resolution. We did get the max speed up to 65 mph instead of 60...

I figured, same story as the Kodiak all over, hodge podge off a bunch of different shit, but MUH duramax :homer:

I'm curious how far they'll have to take them for dealer work. Our closest fors dealer won't touch F450±:homer:

I figured, same story as the Kodiak all over, hodge podge off a bunch of different shit, but MUH duramax :homer:

I'm curious how far they'll have to take them for dealer work. Our closest fors dealer won't touch F450±:homer:
It's a weird deal, we have 25 of them in various states of fucked up front end, vibration and speed of vibration.

Now that we have bought two International dealerships we have some pull with Navistar to get off the pot about it.

2011 6.2 Ferd
6-speed
factory 3.73s
35’s

With the custom camper we typically weigh in at 11,500-12,000lbs. Average 8-10mpg, depending mostly upon speed. MPG takes a solid hit @ 70-75mph.

While lower gears would be nice, the setup works great as is. Still use 6th on the flats, but for the most part it operates as a 5-speed. :homer:

IMG_3831.jpeg

2006 Dodge
5.9l / G56 / 3.73s / 35s

It still has 35's since the G56 has a .79:1 OD. I bought it in 09 with them on and it's just been getting new sets since.

Engine has twins/studs/injectors/cam/tuning, pulls 15klbs in OD just fine.

10-11mpg pulling the trailer at 70mph.

attempted to compile the various short videos and some photos from my regear :rasta:

Apparently Yukon DOES make an ABS machined open carrier for the D70 [and 70HD specific even] :shaking: their website is a pain and there's only 1 reseller that advertises it and it's $500....which explains why I don't have it :rasta:

not sure when, but at some point i'll get my ABS sensor fixed/relocated and have a working speedometer again.

I like highway gears in diesel trucks, I hate gear bound trucks.

1st fummins was ve pumped 12v with non lockup OD trans, 35s and 410s. It jumped out of the hole, but was wound up on freeway, 3.54s made it hum down the freeway, but lost the launch. 3.73s would have been on point. The kid I sold it to went with a 5 speed and loves it. I didn't tow with it, I'm not sure if he does or not.

2nd truck was ppump 12v nv4500 37s 410s. Typical load was 8k, mostly 2nd gear starts, sometimes reached for 6th on freeway, 3.73s would have been perfect

2nd gen dodge 12v nv4500 4wd 4.10s 285s
Backup truck to the fummins, terrible to drive on freeway, goddam awful

05 lly duramax 5 speed Allison 3.73s mild 285s.

This was my tow rig and daily for a bit. The lly is the gas hog of the duramax lineup. I was broke and diesel was $5gal. Amongst other things chasing fuel economy, I went to a 315 tire and picked up 10% fuel economy, empty, and a comfortable freeway rpm.

I would like to build a cclb with a 12v zf6 3.42 super duty axles and metric 35s for longer trips and better economy.

Use the turbo for the little hills and downshift for the bigger ones

Maybe 2big bronco will chime in with the specs on his truck, I rode shotgun from Phoenix to Salinas towing probably 10k and was very impressed with his 7.3 6 speed combo, it put 7.3s back on my radar. His engine seemed to have a well matched tuner/turbo/ injector combo that paired well with trans and gearing, like a purpose built road tractor:smokin:

Maybe 2big bronco will chime in with the specs on his truck, I rode shotgun from Phoenix to Salinas towing probably 10k and was very impressed with his 7.3 6 speed combo, it put 7.3s back on my radar. His engine seemed to have a well matched tuner/turbo/ injector combo that paired well with trans and gearing, like a purpose built road tractor:smokin:

7.3 6spd with 3.73s and 34" ish tires. Stock van turbo, factory injectors. And 15 year old dp tuner. Terminator hpop, bellowed up pipes, full 4" exhaust, fluid filled harmonic ballencer, regulated return on the fuel, and home brew cold air intake.

My most recent Class C (2004 F350 C&C based):

5.4 L 2v
4r100
10.5 Sterling Dually (Really rare I know, it only came with poverty pack F350 C&C with the 5.4L) w/ 3.54 gears
235 85r16

Towing sucks ass. Does decent in the hills when not towing but have to gear down to 3RD ON the steepest bits (8.5% grade), won't crack 70 mph in those cases but it does get 10 to 12 mpg. I was going to swap in a 4.10 Dana 80 but lucked out on a recent trip and found a US gear underdrive (25% reduction ) with a e4od adapter, should give me something like a 4.42 final drive equivalent. I guess I will see how it goes, once I get the driveshaft stuff figured out.

My old Class C (1984 E350 cutaway 27 ft)

Carbed 460
C6
Dana 70 w/ 4.56
235 85r16 when I swapped from 16.5 rims

Towing a Cherokee in the same hills ran pretty well only needing downshift (to 2nd) in the steepest bits. Never really did over 65 mph mainly due to no overdrive. When slow truck traffic got in the way, downshifting to 2nd was required to get up to speed again (on the 6 to 9 % grades) other wise gunning it in drive would move along quite nicely. I never passed anybody except the big trucks on the hills and once an old timer towing a monster 5th wheel with an old 6.9L IH diesel ford in the flats. Needed an OD badly and the 5-6 mpg was never fun, but the 4.56 made towing easy. I even dragged my 23 ft boat with me on occasion without issue and the mileage never really changed to much. I was just waiting for the hitch to fall one day with that much overhang and weight, so I sold it.

Another one to add with mpg from a recent trip from the Canadian Border (aka Lynden, WA) to Las Vegas, NV via SLC, UT ( I5 -> I90 -> I82 -> I84 -> I15 ).

My Tow pig, a 2010 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4

6.7 Cummins
68rfe
AAM 11.5 with 3.73
265 75r17

Only change is a Magnaflow exhaust and a Curt Class 5 2.5 in Hitch. The truck averaged 14.5 mpg on the way down doing mostly 90 through Idaho and Utah. On the way back was just under 12 mpg mostly doing 90 mph towing this:

PXL_20240428_172543515.jpg

An Old 33 ft EZ Loader tri axle boat trailer probably somewhere in the 3500 lbs range as you could feel it back there.

Worst Mileage ever was towing a full 14 ft dump trailer with 3.5 yards of 3/4 in minus gravel (That is what I get for showing up just before quitting time and the Loader Operator wants to go home) I grossed at 25,940 lbs that day according to the weight ticket, so about 13k lbs of gravel. It was 6 mpg and I probably hurt the 68rfe that day but its still chugging along just not like before.

That day was why I bought a 2008 F450 Crew cab 2wd C&C 84ca for towing heavy (like a loaded 33ft Tri axle boat trailer, haha) and it was cheap:

6.8L v10
5r110
4.88 rear gear in a Dana S110 I think
225 70R19.5

Mileage sucks *ss at 5 or 6 mpg but tows very well, zero highway use so I cant comment on that. Now I just have to take the Utility box off for a flat deck and find a Super 60 front axle. That or trade it for a 2008 Ram 4500 4wd with 6.7 Cummins with a flatbed, opinions?

Last edited:
My most recent Class C (2004 F350 C&C based):

5.4 L 2v
4r100
10.5 Sterling Dually (Really rare I know, it only came with poverty pack F350 C&C with the 5.4L) w/ 3.54 gears
235 85r16

Towing sucks ass. Does decent in the hills when not towing but have to gear down to 3RD ON the steepest bits (8.5% grade), won't crack 70 mph in those cases but it does get 10 to 12 mpg. I was going to swap in a 4.10 Dana 80 but lucked out on a recent trip and found a US gear underdrive (25% reduction ) with a e4od adapter, should give me something like a 4.42 final drive equivalent. I guess I will see how it goes, once I get the driveshaft stuff figured out.

My old Class C (1984 E350 cutaway 27 ft)

Carbed 460
C6
Dana 70 w/ 4.56
235 85r16 when I swapped from 16.5 rims

Towing a Cherokee in the same hills ran pretty well only needing downshift (to 2nd) in the steepest bits. Never really did over 65 mph mainly due to no overdrive. When slow truck traffic got in the way, downshifting to 2nd was required to get up to speed again (on the 6 to 9 % grades) other wise gunning it in drive would move along quite nicely. I never passed anybody except the big trucks on the hills and once an old timer towing a monster 5th wheel with an old 6.9L IH diesel ford in the flats. Needed an OD badly and the 5-6 mpg was never fun, but the 4.56 made towing easy. I even dragged my 23 ft boat with me on occasion without issue and the mileage never really changed to much. I was just waiting for the hitch to fall one day with that much overhang and weight, so I sold it.
You lucky bastard! I want a us gear unit but haven’t found one yet

You lucky bastard! I want a us gear unit but haven’t found one yet

I will not lie, I lucked out incredibly on a US gear underdrive with the right adapter for my Class C.

I looked for a couple of years found a lot of DNE units (predecessor to US Gear Dual Range) with c6 and Th400 adapters always in overdrive, I think I saw one US gear underdrive in that time and never saw one with an E4OD/4r100 adapter.

When I found it on Marketplace when I was out in St. George, Utah for vacation, I burned a day of vacation to drive through the mess that is Las Vegas to pick this unit up. It was a pleasant surprise it was a US gear underdrive unit not a DNE unit.

So a lucky bastard... yes, but a blind squirrel does occasionally find an acorn ;)

If you find an overdrive 4r100 one let me know! Do you look on marketplace?

17 ram 3500
6.7 ctd, g56,3.42 gear ratios, and 35" bfg all terrains. Trucks completely stock other than a spacer kit. Get around 15mpg unloaded, around 11 with car trailer, and around 7 with mega trailer.

Bought it brand new and smoked two factory clutches in the first 40k of its life. Now running a southbend dual disk and its great.

Tow a small car trailer and a triple enclosed gooseneck.

If you find an overdrive 4r100 one let me know! Do you look on marketplace?

I found this on Marketplace but I usually found more on Craigslist under Doug Nash or DNE. It has more to do with the time of year as I usually see more on sale in the spring as part of spring cleaning but once the RVs start to roll they usually dry up. Same with the Gear Vendors. Finding a US gear with a E4OD/4r100 adapter is pretty tough but a c6 overdrive unit will work as they have spline input (to the US gear unit) count, at 31 spline, but you would still need the e4OD adapter. I think there was an E4OD adapter on Ebay last week for around 400, may be worth a look if it's still there. I hope this helps.

Top Back Refresh