What's new

tow rig combo tires

I like that size for the weight capacity. Fits on most fullsize 4x4's without lift. Also fits decent on stock 7" wide wheels.
yeh, maybe im not getting the OG question? My local tire shop, you can get 245, 265, 235/85, etc all in 16" all day long...

I run E rated Nitto Recon Grapplers on my F150. The stability in sidewall is much better feeling when towing. Rated at 3640 in 35x12.50x17.

I run E rated Nitto Recon Grapplers on my F150. The stability in sidewall is much better feeling when towing. Rated at 3640 in 35x12.50x17.

IME, E-rated doesnt say much about the sidewall. I've had some really supple/flimsy sidewall'ed Michelins in 235/85R16E. Super soft ride tho.

3640# rating on a 12.50" wide tire should speak for itself on stability.

Obvious choice here is Thornbirds.

17" rims and pick your tire. I like Nitto/Toyo. Suggest 40s

usm-u10117008245_bf_xl.jpg

I put these Toyo A/T on my 7.3 CCSB about 4 years ago. They are wearing great at 25K and feel stable pulling a 15K bp enclosed.
Rides smooth unloaded. I don't notice any noise but it is a noisy 7.3 so...
315/75/16 E
I will drop back to a less aggressive A/T 285-295 when these expire. Would buy again if needed.

tire.jpg

I don't see one :homer:

Far as I know factory alloys came in 16". I genuinely want to know when ford offered a 15" 8 lug alloy.
My apologies... it was in the trailer thread...

And now that it has stopped raining .. You are correct on the rims... 235/75/16... and the speedo is dead on... :)

standard load range C continental

3200 lbs a tire.
I wouldn't want E's unless I was towing way heavy. They'll make it ride like shit empty.

so how much weight you plan on towing? Gonna put more than 6K on the rear axle?

3200 lbs a tire.
I wouldn't want E's unless I was towing way heavy. They'll make it ride like shit empty.

Even without maxing them out, E rated will still be more stable than C. I wouldn't consider C rated for any fullsize. Especially not continental garbage.

3200 lbs a tire.

I run E's on a Jeep, and everything else. Tire pressure is key.

Even with the truck chores I do, a lighter tire is fine 80-90% of the time. Then - whoops - theres 2 tons of firewood, gravel, topsoil, or roofing in the bed. Thats why i try to keep 3700#+ shoes on them.

3200 lbs a tire.

C’s are mushy, especially in corners. C’s on a Tacoma? Sure. Full size? Not so much, imho.

I keep coming back to BFG ATs, when I stray I get disappointed. 315/70r17s LRE on the 2500 tow rig

265/70r17s BFG ATs on the suv. I would have gone 8ply but they didn't have them, it was 6 or 10, I went 10ply for pothole resistance, my commute really was that bad:mad3:

Highboy fits 35s nicely, I think these were 8ply,I forget. I had 315 75 16 C rated Yokohama geolander MTs on it in 2000, they were squishy

Attachments

• photo6882.jpg
    photo6882.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 8
I've been putting the Toyo Open country at3 on all of the trucks at work. No issues. My f350 has 30K on them so far. Nice and flat still and have pulled over 30klb many times with no issues over the mtns. Have the 295/16's on my old chevy crew cab that we put a cabover on and take on two rut rocky roads. It's a dually so I don't carry a spare. No issues. And the price is cheaper then most of the rest.

Even without maxing them out, E rated will still be more stable than C. I wouldn't consider C rated for any fullsize. Especially not continental garbage.
so pick a different brand.
I run E's on a Jeep, and everything else. Tire pressure is key.

Even with the truck chores I do, a lighter tire is fine 80-90% of the time. Then - whoops - theres 2 tons of firewood, gravel, topsoil, or roofing in the bed. Thats why i try to keep 3700#+ shoes on them.
don't be dumb?
C’s are mushy, especially in corners. C’s on a Tacoma? Sure. Full size? Not so much, imho.
what was on it originally?

I guess I'm just old these days. I don't like hard as rock tires.

well that's why i asked what he was planning on using the truck for.
I wouldn't treat a 1970's ford like it was ready for heavy shit anyway.

is OP gonna put 5K of tongue weight on it?

What was on what?
what was the tire capacity of the truck when it was built?

anyway, If it were mine I'd slap a C or XL load range tire on it rated at 3200ish lbs so it didn't ride like absolute dog shit when empty, and not overload the fuck out of a 50 year old truck.

anyway, If it were mine I'd slap a C or XL load range tire on it rated at 3200ish lbs so it didn't ride like absolute dog shit when empty, and not overload the fuck out of a 50 year old truck.

What are you even talking about? Have to actually went from an e tire to a C tire and had it magically ride like a cloud? We're you running the E tires at 80 or something?

I've had every type of tire on my ~4k lb 4runner and never noticed any difference in ride.

I did go from an E to a XL on one of the vans, noticed the difference. The substantial worse loaded ride wasn't worth the slightly better unloaded ride.

never again, i'll happily rock an E at 80 psi instead

and we still don't have any information about what op plans to do with the truck.

so there it is.

it's almost like everyone can do what they want.

all of my >=3/4 tons have been E/127 or E/129 from the factory.

ye ford advertising says optional 6 or 8 ply mud/snow tires for the 71 F250.

and max payload of 3585 lbs.

so what's it weigh? 6K lbs?
do you need 4000lbs of tire at every corner for something that shouldn't ever weigh more than 10K lbs total?

anyway, I'd put a C or XL tire on it and it would be fine for my uses of an old ass truck. YMMV.

and we still don't have any information about what op plans to do with the truck.

so there it is.

it's almost like everyone can do what they want.
You do.. but you fail at correlation.. ;)

You do.. but you fail at correlation.. ;)

fuck man, you want me to do extra searching?

It isn't a 'Work' truck, it is a truck that I will occasional trailer shit with... probably less than a dozen times a year.

But the tires on there now are legitimately 20+ years old and gonna be replaced one way or another...

Top Back Refresh