What's new

tow rig combo tires

71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
Tow rig: 71 F250, NP435, NP205, D60 F&R, 4:10. Air bags for supplemental rear lift/equalization.

Currently running 20 YO OG BFG M/T on 15" factory aluminum rims.

I know before I do any real towing I need new tires, but none of the tire sites lists a 71 F250.

When I look at a 1990 F350 4x4 they list the BFG AT as an acceptable tire.

So, also looking at going to 17" and steel rims but the tires are the question.

I realize the sidewalls and load rating (E/E1) seem to be about where I need to be, but without a lot of experience I am guessing.

What is the advice from those who tow more frequently at the limits of your older truck?

Thanks!

Correct.

If you want all AT, I'd recommend the falken AT3W or 4W, based on my experience and reviews here and elsewhere. For a highway tire to encourage you to stay on the road along with a quieter ride and better mileage, the michelin ltx M/S or M/S2 or great tires. Firestone le3 are ok. How heavy are hauling?

I like Duratracs.

One of my sets is the 315/75R16E rated to 3860#. The 17" equivalent isn't rated as high, and wears down faster.

235/85/16s if you want OEM sizing on whatever the tire store will sell you cheap for wheels. A cheap 10 ply in that size will last long enough that if you are towing heavy you will be breaking drive train parts before blow outs become a concern.

235/80/17 or 255/80/17 if you want to step up to 17s and still have stockish gear ratios.

I have 315/75/16 Kelly Safari TSRs on mine because 12 years ago 16s made sense and I wanted a 35 inch tire. Now I would probably put a 285/75/17 on it because I think it looks better. My personal favorite tire is a Hankook Dynapro ATM as I work in a mine and we get great life out of them on our trucks.

Google says the transit vans uses 235/65r16s, who wants to put that tiny shit on an old truck :laughing:
E-series is still running 16s. Sprinters run a 16. If the Savanna isn’t running a 16 then it’s a recent change. All three run something in the 29-31 range which is stock on a old truck.

Go be a retard somewhere else.

Falkens are ok, but they are loud. I've been using them on a couple of my company trucks. The last set on my F150 wore terribly and all 4 were cupping.
I have BFG AT's on my 3/4 ton burb and really like them.

Falkens are ok, but they are loud. I've been using them on a couple of my company trucks. The last set on my F150 wore terribly and all 4 were cupping.
I have BFG AT's on my 3/4 ton burb and really like them.
My experience w/ the Falkens is the opposite, oddly. Very quiet, wear great. 🤷

E-series is still running 16s. Sprinters run a 16. If the Savanna isn’t running a 16 then it’s a recent change. All three run something in the 29-31 range which is stock on a old truck.

Go be a retard somewhere else.

Have you actually tried to find used 16" 10 ply tires? Or are you just talking out your ass like every single post of yours?

Do you even own anything with 16s?

I tried this year's ago as I still run 16s on my 97. They're harder to find than you're making it out to be.

Have you actually tried to find used 16" 10 ply tires? Or are you just talking out your ass like every single post of yours?

Do you even own anything with 16s?

I tried this year's ago as I still run 16s on my 97. They're harder to find than you're making it out to be.
Screenshot_20240325_162207_Chrome.jpg

Toyo Open Country AT III
Falken AT3W
Nitto Ridge Grappler
Amp Terrain Pro AT

Those are my top sellers all available in a 10 ply rated. The Toyos have a 55k treadwear warranty and still have a mud and snow rating.

He doesn't need ten fucking plies you commie. I just ignored the suggestion because it was asinine on its face. Why do you hate other people's money so much?

His needs are no more than any working guy with a frequently overloaded van. So running the same tires all of them run is a perfectly fine solution.
I was collecting 16" LT tires because I have a pair of axles I'm gonna narrow and I had to stop because I accumulated so many so quickly, pretty much all off Ford vans and Chevy trucks.

He doesn't need ten fucking plies you commie. I just ignored the suggestion because it was asinine on its face. Why do you hate other people's money so much?

His needs are no more than any working guy with a frequently overloaded van. So running the same tires all of them run is a perfectly fine solution.

I was collecting 16" LT tires because I have a pair of axles I'm gonna narrow and I had to stop because I accumulated so many so quickly, pretty much all off Ford vans and Chevy trucks.

Not everyone want to run around on the ragged edge of everything like a tweaker. Guy has a really nice older truck, probably doesn't want to have garbage tires blow out left and right fucking his paint up.

I'm not even sure why you're here, you've never towed anything with more than 2 axles, fabricated anything worth a fuck or wheeled at all. Go back to your mom's basement and take you gout medicine, you contribute absolutely zero to this forum. :homer:

I mean used tires that are actually worth the time to mount.
Oh, I thought we were just talking about 16 in general :laughing:

My van tires are actually in really good shape, but when the time comes ill probably go new tires on the used wheels. Going from 16.5 to 16 was an easy choice, mostly because 17s are still way too expensive even second hand

Not everyone want to run around on the ragged edge of everything like a tweaker. Guy has a really nice older truck, probably doesn't want to have garbage tires blow out left and right fucking his paint up.
He's also not going to be working it as hard as regularly as a wonton van so those sorts of tires should be fine.

I'm not even sure why you're here, you've never towed anything with more than 2 axles, fabricated anything worth a fuck or wheeled at all. Go back to your mom's basement and take you gout medicine, you contribute absolutely zero to this forum.
Real fucking rich coming from the guy who's only suggestion is to throw money at problems and hasn't posted any original content in years beyond a little bit of bragging about how he's making Idaho better with his Commiefornian values.

Oh, I thought we were just talking about 16 in general :laughing:

My van tires are actually in really good shape, but when the time comes ill probably go new tires on the used wheels. Going from 16.5 to 16 was an easy choice, mostly because 17s are still way too expensive even second hand
What's a Transforce HT (can you even get anything else in 16.5?v:laughing:) rated at in 16.5 vs 16?

You might find yourself tossing the 16.5s back on for a couple hundred pounds when it comes time to buy new.

What's a Transforce HT (can you even get anything else in 16.5?v:laughing:) rated at in 16.5 vs 16?

You might find yourself tossing the 16.5s back on for a couple hundred pounds when it comes time to buy new.
3,195 for the 9.5r16.5

2,680 for the LT215/85R16

Both 10 ply

F250 daily driver stays 16.5

F350 farm truck gets cheap 16

I came for the tech but Yota and Arse bickering:lmao:

I would try and find a common size/load range that's going to be easy to source for years to come without making your truck look like a donk. 17's on trucks have been a thing for over 2 decades, they will be easy to source for the next 2 decades. 16's are kind of being phased out, we really don't stock much anymore except HT stuff for vans which are like 245/75/16's. It's just not something worth stocking at this point.

I run LR E on my Tundra, I don't really need to but they have a much better feel than what came with it when towing. I just let some air out if I'm not towing and want it to ride better but typically I don't touch it.

I run a 285/75/16 LRE Hankook dynapro at2

3750 # load rating. Works awesome as an all around tow rig tire. Mild mud, fields, muddy parks, snow and heavy towing..

Top Back Refresh