What's new

Teach Me To Land Rover

I surprised no has recommended having a jar of this on hand...

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 10.29.39 AM.png
Lucas electrics were decades ago. Slightly after dinosaur repellant sales peaked.

Whelp it took six months to shit the bed. Front air suspension took a dump. Think the front right bag started leaking today. Noticed it level itself in parking lot at work this morning. Started pulling to the right on way home. Started clunking on dirt road. Compressor burnt itself out keeping it inflated on my ride home. Will be ordering coilover conversion kit in the morning. I don’t care, I still enjoy driving it. This must be how domestic violence victims feel… He only beats me because he loves me. It’s my fault…

IMG_3109.jpeg

There is an immaculate one south of Boston with a blown engine for 400 bucks. Sounds like a perfect shitbox for an LS swap.

I just want the axles, but I don’t want to kill my ranger, dragging it all the way back here.

There is an immaculate one south of Boston with a blown engine for 400 bucks. Sounds like a perfect shitbox for an LS swap.

I just want the axles, but I don’t want to kill my ranger, dragging it all the way back here.
I love the vehicle itself. Rides great, super luxurious, nice sound system, excellent power. You just have to get past a new light on the dash every day. Thankfully I live in an inspection free state.

Lovely ride ... but exactly why my newest one is from 1997 :)

Let us know how the coil conversion works out...seriously, no sarcasm included :)

Lovely ride ... but exactly why my newest one is from 1997 :)

Let us know how the coil conversion works out...seriously, no sarcasm included :)
Well… I was just told by Atlantic British that the full size supercharged cannot be converted to coils bc the computer can’t be overridden. So I have to replace the air strut and compressor.
:homer:

I ordered a new set of brembo brakes for it that have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust along with my timing chain kit. I was waiting till 100k miles but I guess I’m gonna get started on all of it this weekend. Drivin my 3500 CC LWB dually to work this morning made me appreciate how nice that RR drives (when it drives). Fuckers in this thread are gotdam wizards!

If you've burnt out a compressor then it's been leaking for a long time. I would replace the pair of struts, pump it up and see how long it stays up with the power off.

My 1993 will stay at full height for over a week.

If you've burnt out a compressor then it's been leaking for a long time. I would replace the pair of struts, pump it up and see how long it stays up with the power off.

My 1993 will stay at full height for over a week.
I was able to get it in the lift and found the compressor isn’t bad thankfully. What are your thoughts on replacing just the bag itself instead of the entire strut?

Well it has started… new brakes, going to replace front bags (front left was culprit), change all fluids, replace timing chain, water pump, etc.

IMG_3133.jpeg
IMG_3134.jpeg
IMG_3136.jpeg
IMG_3135.jpeg

Glad I did the timing chains. Got it torn down and the passenger side had a ton of slack. Got the chains, guides, and tensioners changed today. Reassembled back to the valve covers. Waiting on a front crank seal and balancer bolt.

IMG_3160.jpeg
IMG_3161.jpeg
IMG_3171.jpeg

Are those the same engines as in the LR3? Rovers aren't my thing but on the used beater market see a few surprisingly high mileage LR3s.

Are those the same engines as in the LR3? Rovers aren't my thing but on the used beater market see a few surprisingly high mileage LR3s.
I’m new to them too. I believe the 10-16’s you could get the Jag/Ford 5.0 V8. Before that they had a BMW 4.4 V8 (I think)…

I have the engine assembled. Ready for fluids and see if it starts… I officially know how to disassemble and install timing chains in a Jag 5.0. New Brembo brakes, front bags, serviced front and rear diffs. I still need to service tranny and t case.

IMG_3216.jpeg
IMG_3218.jpeg

I was able to get it in the lift and found the compressor isn’t bad thankfully. What are your thoughts on replacing just the bag itself instead of the entire strut?

Can you replace the bags on those or does it have to be the whole strut?

There were some, unsure which generation, which were leaking at o-rings at the top which could be replaced. Just like anything else, throw it in a tub of water and watch for bubbles. Since you've swapped them out anyway.

Can you replace the bags on those or does it have to be the whole strut?

There were some, unsure which generation, which were leaking at o-rings at the top which could be replaced. Just like anything else, throw it in a tub of water and watch for bubbles. Since you've swapped them out anyway.
You can just replace the bags and o-rings. I chose to replace with a rebuilt assembly from Arnott because it wasn’t too much more than just the bags but had a better warranty.

Atlantic British told me that the full size ones with variable damping could not be retrofitted with coil springs. Arnott told me that was bullshit.

Drove fine all weekend. Got a low coolant alarm a couple miles from the house on way home from work today. Coolant gauge never got above normal. Turned on my road and engine shut off. Lower fucking house popped off radiator (after I pressure tested system to 15 psi before starting manually). Engine isn’t locked up but I’m pretty sure I’m fucked.

If engine is trash I will be buying wife a new car and taking over her Jeep. Have my local salvage yard looking for a long block. Can’t sell it for shit so it will be getting LS motor and tons before I sell for nothing. Ive already proven I’m stupid, why not start another build thread and drop $50k? Was planning on building wife an LJ crawler. Might be building her a RR crawler.

I think you are actually ahead of the ‘timeline’ I posted…

Does that have the quick disconnect hoses like the L322 with the bmw engine? Those are sketchy at best when old.

I bought an overheated l322 with a tick for cheap 7 or so years ago. Turned into a seized engine while I was diagnosing it. Luckily I sent it down the road for only a $500 loss. I feel that was a cheap price to pay and lesson learned for the knowledge of never touching one past D2 (Land Rover) or classic (Range Rover) vintage ever again.

Last edited:
Yep the very hose. Pressure tested everything for a good 15 min to make sure I had no leaks before firing it up. The temp gauge was reading accurately in shop. Never once moved off normal while driving yesterday so maybe there is a chance that I still had coolant in the block but I’m confident it is toast bc I just don’t have that kind of luck. Left it in shop last night and plan to see if it will start this evening. Hopefully it runs just long enough to take to Carmax…

Motor is toast. Pulled oil drain plug this evening and had water in oil.

Well... Your journey really had me looking hard for one to DD against all advice :laughing:

And now? I think you've cured me. I'll stick to lusting after an Audi s6 wagon. More reliable :homer::flipoff2:

Well... Your journey really had me looking hard for one to DD against all advice :laughing:

And now? I think you've cured me. I'll stick to lusting after an Audi s6 wagon. More reliable :homer::flipoff2:
Yep… It was/is the nicest to drive vehicle I have ever owned. But you have to either be rich or stupid to own one.

But if you do decide to buy one, I have a bunch of tools, new Brembo brakes, and new air struts I’ll sell you half price! :lmao:

Top Back Refresh