What's new

Teach Me To Land Rover

Curbkrawler

Shitbox Connoisseur
Member Number
Loc
SC
I have always liked Land/Range Rovers but the reliability reputation has always scared me. I know nothing about them other than internet reputation. Don't even know anyone personally who owns one to ask. I have had the bug to buy a new DD/beater and get rid of my shitbox Honda. I drive 30 miles each way to work including dirt roads and mud. Looking at a 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with 84k miles. Thing looks immaculate. According to seller it just passed emissions/inspection. Am I a tard for considering this?

I believe that thing will have the Ford based 5.0L V-8. Should be a rocketship, but look into the timing chain issues, they were substantial. IMO, the earlier Jag based 4.2/4.4L were better engines, though undoubtedly slower.

Oh yeah, and you’re either a Rover person or you’re not. You’ll figure out which camp you fall into :laughing:

I agree, you want to find a Rover with the Jag 4.4 V8 or the Jag 4.2 V8 with the super charger. These came in 2006-2009 Land Rovers. I avoid the earlier BMW 4.4 and the later Jag 5.0.

There is more aftermarket support for wheeling parts for the Range Rover Sport and LR3 than the full fat Range Rovers.

If you do get a Rover make sure to get a IID Tool or a similar Land Rover specific scan tool.

Yeah I'm torn. I'm going to go look at it this weekend. I've read all about the timing chain issues. I'm not opposed to doing the chain replacement if need be. The electronic crap concerns me more than the timing chain. You have a recommended scan tool to purchase? Not convinced either way yet. Going to look at first.

I have always liked Land/Range Rovers but the reliability reputation has always scared me. I know nothing about them other than internet reputation. Don't even know anyone personally who owns one to ask. I have had the bug to buy a new DD/beater and get rid of my shitbox Honda. I drive 30 miles each way to work including dirt roads and mud. Looking at a 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with 84k miles. Thing looks immaculate. According to seller it just passed emissions/inspection. Am I a tard for considering this?

This is all you need to know.

Here's how used range rovering goes:

Week 1: wow I love this thing.

Week 2: split coolant expansion tank, don't worry it happens they tell you. -$500

Week 3: blowing coolant, blown head gasket. Replace gaskets and timing chain guides -$3500

Week 8: get rover back, think well that's over. Won"t have to do that again.

Week 12: wow I love this thing, take a sip of starbucks coffee.

Week 13: rover sitting on bump stops.... some sort of air compressor they say it happens, don`t worry. -$1500. They say you need air bags quote $2500.

Week 24: you almost forget about the anal raping this thing is giving you, it really is nice to drive. Wow I really love this thing.

Week 25: sunroof leaking water, been raining for 3 days straight. You have a towel on you leg to keep you suit dry so your coworkers don't think you pissed your pants.

Week 27: suns out buns out.... scoring mad bitches at the beach. Gawd I luv this thing. Great road trip.

Week 27 (still) stuck 500 miles from home at the beach. On the bump stops again. Had it towed to Palm Springs Land Rover... didn't know what else to do. They quote $7500 parts and labor. 4 new air bags and the new compressor is burned out.

Week 27 rent a Kia soul to drive home.

Week 28: after internet research, you find out these things are known to be a big pos. Find out that you can convert to coil springs. You think you can do it youself... bravo. You drive the Kia back to Palm Springs and drive it home like a low rider.

Week 29: that drive last week was terrible, you buy a $500 Camery to get to work.

Week 32: springs are on, rover looks awsome... like it has a lift... best thing you are proud you did it all yourself and now have $2000 in tools. Parts only cost $700. Not bad.

Week 40: I love this thing.... it needs bigger knobby tires. -$1000.

Week 45: smashed my plastic bumper offroading in the field behind the mall. Parts will be $4000, a winch bumper is cheaper. -$2500 for winch bumper, -$300 for a winch on Ebay.. installed yourself. Camery is running great, saving a ton of gas.

Week 46: got stuck behind mall, Chinese winch smoked. --$400 for tow, -$250 for trespassing ticket, night in jail, -$1200 for Warn winch. This won't happen again.

Week 47: bunch of lights on dash... something about abs pump. Great.

Week 48: all the lights still on, but brakes still work. New check engine light on now too. Random misfire.

Week 52: one year of ownership, exhaust got red hot last night. Thought it was going to burn my house down, grass caught on fire. Had to take it to dealer. Said cats are plugged, o2 sensors bad, and coil packs shot. $7500 quote. They said it was low on coolant, too. Used up your last day of vacation.

Where does it end? you ask as you take a sip of gas station coffee.

Last edited:
Hot tip. If you've got a compressor failure then fix the air-leaks.

Had a buddy that owned two of them. One used one new, he knew every curse word you could call a Brit.

Real Land Rovers have round headlights and leaf springs ... none of the above silliness to worry about.

Now ... a heater, a little water insude, a bit of oil on the ground, all nothing to be concerned about :)

Here's how used range rovering goes:

Week 1: wow I love this thing.

Week 2: split coolant expansion tank, don't worry it happens they tell you. -$500

Week 3: blowing coolant, blown head gasket. Replace gaskets and timing chain guides -$3500

Week 8: get rover back, think well that's over. Won"t have to do that again.

Week 12: wow I love this thing, take a sip of starbucks coffee.

Week 13: rover sitting on bump stops.... some sort of air compressor they say it happens, don`t worry. -$1500. They say you need air bags quote $2500.

Week 24: you almost forget about the anal raping this thing is giving you, it really is nice to drive. Wow I really love this thing.

Week 25: sunroof leaking water, been raining for 3 days straight. You have a towel on you leg to keep you suit dry so your coworkers don't think you pissed your pants.

Week 27: suns out buns out.... scoring mad bitches at the beach. Gawd I luv this thing. Great road trip.

Week 27 (still) stuck 500 miles from home at the beach. On the bump stops again. Had it towed to Palm Springs Land Rover... didn't know what else to do. They quote $7500 parts and labor. 4 new air bags and the new compressor is burned out.

Week 27 rent a Kia soul to drive home.

Week 28: after internet research, you find out these things are known to be a big pos. Find out that you can convert to coil springs. You think you can do it youself... bravo. You drive the Kia back to Palm Springs and drive it home like a low rider.

Week 29: that drive last week was terrible, you buy a $500 Camery to get to work.

Week 32: springs are on, rover looks awsome... like it has a lift... best thing you are proud you did it all yourself and now have $2000 in tools. Parts only cost $700. Not bad.

Week 40: I love this thing.... it needs bigger knobby tires. -$1000.

Week 45: smashed my plastic bumper offroading in the field behind the mall. Parts will be $4000, a winch bumper is cheaper. -$2500 for winch bumper, -$300 for a winch on Ebay.. installed yourself. Camery is running great, saving a ton of gas.

Week 46: got stuck behind mall, Chinese winch smoked. --$400 for tow, -$250 for trespassing ticket, night in jail, -$1200 for Warn winch. This won't happen again.

Week 47: bunch of lights on dash... something about abs pump. Great.

Week 48: all the lights still on, but brakes still work. New check engine light on now too. Random misfire.

Week 52: one year of ownership, exhaust got red hot last night. Thought it was going to burn my house down, grass caught on fire. Had to take it to dealer. Said cats are plugged, o2 sensors bad, and coil packs shot. $7500 quote. They said it was low on coolant, too. Used up your last day of vacation.

Where does it end? you ask as you take a sip of gas station coffee.
So I took everybody's advice, balled it up, and shoved it as far up my ass as I could reach... Didn't end up buying the one I originally posted about. A doctor my wife worked with passed away and we bought his 2010 Supercharged from his estate for $10k. 90k miles, 1 owner, and appears to be very well cared for. I KNOW this is going to end up being a :homer: decision, but dammit, I just couldn't resist. I have always had a love for these things. So far I am still in week "1" 3 weeks later. I have decided at 100k I am going to change the timing chain, guides, etc. just for piece of mind and do a full fluids change and tune up. I know you have to be tough to be stupid. But going from DD'ing a 98 Civic for 10 years to this thing automatically makes me stick my pinky out when I drink my natty lights. I will be sure to post the saga as it happens so y'all can point fingers and tell me I'm a dumbass...

RR.jpg

When you eventually take it to the scrapyard don't tell them its body is aluminum, they might not take it.
Good read. appreciate it. I just dropped $4k on timing chain kit, tool kit, plugs, belts, and all fluids/filters from Atlantic British.

Just make sure you look the parts over no matter where you get them. Some of the new stuff is so shitty you may be better off leaving it alone.

Just make sure you look the parts over no matter where you get them. Some of the new stuff is so shitty you may be better off leaving it alone.
Good to know. In the 3 weeks I’ve had this thing, I have really enjoyed driving it. If investing $4k into it buys me a semi-reliable 75-100k miles I will consider it money well spent

You're changing the timing chains on that thing yourself? Better you than me is all that comes to mind.

If your trailer doesn't have a winch, I would suggest driving it on while it still runs. Seriously, call up Brad or Eric and cancel your order. If nothing is currently wrong with it and it runs quiet, just drive it.

Top Back Refresh