What's new

Superduty 60 passenger side drop

This one is narrowed to 65.5” for a toyota. Cut and sleeved one side and c slide on the other.
62BC1D1D-90AB-4EC0-B812-80F8935C6473.jpeg

Not necessarily the exact same thing, but I'm looking at cutting and sleeving the short side to widen the axle 3ish inches to eliminate the need for my front spacers. and allow more room for link/shock mounts.

Correct Sterling isn’t round. This a great tech heavy post from the gram about that. I know the old 14 bolts were same way. Not sure about heavy casting newer 14 bolts.

My 2003 14 bolt had round 3.5” tubes. Super thin though. I cut and sleeved it to make an offset rear using factory shafts that are swapped side to side for an fzj80 with the offset case.
IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

That's how thin 14b tubes are? is that limited to the newer ones or are the old ones like that? Curious if anyone has cut different "gens" apart to know.
I am largely asking because I'm about to install one under my rig, albeit a much older 14b.

The 4" tube big boy unit from 2012 I cut apart was comically thin too.

My late 14 bolts have both had surprisingly thin wall tube.

I didn't measure when I made the hole, but I'd guess wall was well under 1/4".

I gouged a bit deep cutting off the perches/ brackets, and had to weld it up.

So I'm gearing up to passenger drop swap a 05 sd60, and I spoke to a guy today at an axle and frame place. We discussed what it takes to do the job. I said I would prefer to push the long side out of the chunk and press in a new length. He said it's impossible as the tubes are swaged into the pumpkin. In all my research, this has never come up in conversation. Is he using antiquated boomer logic or is this a thing?

So I'm gearing up to passenger drop swap a 05 sd60, and I spoke to a guy today at an axle and frame place. We discussed what it takes to do the job. I said I would prefer to push the long side out of the chunk and press in a new length. He said it's impossible as the tubes are swaged into the pumpkin. In all my research, this has never come up in conversation. Is he using antiquated boomer logic or is this a thing?
I know it wasn’t a thing on anything 97 and older 60’s. Wfo in their race truck broke a housing in half so maybe call them and ask.

Last edited:
This one is narrowed to 65.5” for a toyota. Cut and sleeved one side and c slide on the other.
62BC1D1D-90AB-4EC0-B812-80F8935C6473.jpeg
I cut the short side off mine today and removed the tube from the C. I am a little surprised to find the tubes are 3/8 thick. I was under the impression they are 1/2". How does a cut and sleeve hold up to abuse? It's definitely cheaper.

Impossible :homer:

What does he even mean by swaged?

Impossible :homer:

What does he even mean by swaged?
Type of forming, they do it to bottles to form the ends.

Does not make sense since pretty sure the tubes are machined on the ends not formed. You need to machine the ends for the seal anyways just turn the OD at the same time.

Last edited:
I cut the short side off mine today and removed the tube from the C. I am a little surprised to find the tubes are 3/8 thick. I was under the impression they are 1/2". How does a cut and sleeve hold up to abuse? It's definitely cheaper.
Holds up great, if a sleeve is done properly it’s stronger than the original tube. (Plug weld, correct length, tight fit tube that’s decent thickness)

Right, I was drawing a blank, exhaust is the common thing to swedge.
Yea he said swedge, not swage. So basically a taper fit. I thought it sounded like bullshit. I ordered some fresh 3.75 x 3/8 DOM to do the long side, expensive shit. I still plan on a full retube. I've read up on methods to remove the old tube from the center section, and the one i like best is the weld method. Drill out the plug welds as usual, and then weld inside the tube to shrink it. At that point, it should almost fall out. I'm going this route to help keep it as straight as possible. I figure if everthing is press fit, it should stay fairly straight.

Top Back Refresh