What's new

Sick of Cheap Drill Bits - What Do I Want?

Etyler2

Your kind of Asshole
Member Number
Loc
Grass Valley CA
Sick of cheap drill bits, only the last couple years have I needed to drill holes in real metal.

Best bang for the buck drill bits set up to 1/2”?

Hand drill for now, looking for a decent used drill press on a stand.

Thanks!

Snag a normal set of Norseman stuff. Although you might be money ahead to just snag a few bits of each size you actually use.
Like dis?
IMG_3906.jpeg

I've been using these for a few years now. I would definitely buy again. I've replaced maybe 2 of the high uses sizes. Snapped one and I'm pretty sure I left one inside a carb when I used that size to check float height :homer:
Screenshot_20240329-220813.png

Last edited:
I've been using these for a few years now. I would definitely buy again. I've replaced maybe 2 of the high uses sizes. Snapped one and I'm pretty sure I left one inside a carb when I used that size to check float height :homer:
How the fuck are you supposed to resharpen those?

Anything made by Guhring.

Do those work as advertised? No pilot hole for any size, just line it up to a punch mark and go to town?

It seems like a gimmick. If you use them like regular bits, say in a hand drill, 1/8" pilot then 1/2" through hole or whatever, then it has to be a gimmick.

I say hand drill because in a lathe it doesn't matter as much how sharp it is in my experience. Also, Morse taper drills.

To contribute, I bought a set from fastenal off the counter a few years ago. Looks like this, I guess they're norseman.

They've been amazing. Leagues better than my china hss Drill set. I've broken the tips off a few doing dumb things, and haven't needed to sharpen any of the unbroken ones yet. Mostly hand drill use, maybe a few of them in a chuck on the lathe, but usually mt drills get used there.

Thanks all! Gonna Amazon shop some bits, and some blades for my used horizontal band saw and hope I don’t keep just adding shit to my cart. The later it gets, the more expensive it gets. The full cooler of Modelos floating in ice water isn’t helping. The frogs are chirping, heat on in the shop, and my wife is happy in her chair in the house.

$30 less if you get em in a can instead

I have a set like this and they work good but I bought mine off of eBay because fawk amazon as much as I can. But these are my travel bits I take to the farm and that.

I have a ton (a very serious amount) of drill bits and most of them are not in any organized holders. Pretty much all of them other than the dewalt stuff for stupid work, are made in the US

I own a couple drill doctors for bits 1/2” under as I hand sharpen any bits larger than that. I’ve got that down to a science and have taught several other people how to sharpen bits by hand.

I wouldn’t buy these because they’re not able to be resharpened.

Do those work as advertised? No pilot hole for any size, just line it up to a punch mark and go to town?

It seems like a gimmick. If you use them like regular bits, say in a hand drill, 1/8" pilot then 1/2" through hole or whatever, then it has to be a gimmick.

I say hand drill because in a lathe it doesn't matter as much how sharp it is in my experience. Also, Morse taper drills.

I don't use pilots. They work just like a normal step bit. Makes it super easy for drilling odd shape holes round, whre a normal bit might catch

I've had them for probably 3 years now and they still cut good. I'm pretty hard on drill bits when I use them.

Has anyone else used Drill Hog stuff?

1712100030742.png

1712100106954.png

I have read a lot of mixed reviews. Some of their bits are cheap, some are pretty pricey (up to like $300 a set.)

It seems like their warranty is pretty good though?

I have two of their step bits, and have used them a lot without any issue, but haven't bought any regular bits from them.

I too am in need of a decent set of quality drill bits, mostly for metal.

Top Back Refresh