What's new

RSWORDS 30x50x14 shop

RSWORDS

Member Number
Starting progress on the new shop at the house. Went with a 30x50 with 14' walls and 3 12x12 doors. 1st bay will be drive through, middle will have the lift. 3rd bay is getting an 8' mezzanine down the far right wall and will be the "workshop" area.

Screenshot_20231031_211637_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20231031_211631_Gmail.jpg

A good friend owns a site work company so I got him on clearing out today

20240214_170222.jpg

No it's the "carport" style but is doubled up legs

Building was the cheap part :laughting. Just under 20k installed. Slab is gonna be 10k, site work about the same.

surprised no one has said "too small" yet. :flipoff2:

power?

Water?

you doing insulation?

Anything special in slab for perimeter turndown or for lift?

:beer:

$4300 later I have a flat piece of dirt. Only took 6 tandom dump truck loads of dirt and its nice and high compared to the surrounding land.

Snapchat-1576164434.jpg
You sure that’s gonna be high enough. With the roof dropping water infront of the doors you’re gonna want at the minimum of 1” in 10’ of pitch away from the slab. There are not many garage projects of that size we haul too that only need 6 loads of fill.

Number one rule of building garages make sure they are high enough. Cheap to do now impossible to do later.

power?

Water?

you doing insulation?

Anything special in slab for perimeter turndown or for lift?

:beer:

Yes

Yes

Eventually Yes

Yes

Here's a crappy scetchup drawing from when i was designing. Bathroom with shower in the rear, closet for the for compressor. the truck isnt to scale

Screenshot_20240215_190451_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
You sure that’s gonna be high enough. With the roof dropping water infront of the doors you’re gonna want at the minimum of 1” in 10’ of pitch away from the slab. There are not many garage projects of that size we haul too that only need 6 loads of fill.

Number one rule of building garages make sure they are high enough. Cheap to do now impossible to do later.

It's plenty high. Was on a hill to start. The pad is about 6" above surrounding grade at the lowest spot. After it's all in we will final grade. The land falls away in every direction. Enough that I don't need a pump for the 100' run to my septic tank lol

Here's a little better picture but still doesn't show the drop. I'm going to have to bring in more dirt so I don't have a ledge after it's up

20240215_164825.jpg

It's plenty high. Was on a hill to start. The pad is about 6" above surrounding grade at the lowest spot. After it's all in we will final grade. The land falls away in every direction. Enough that I don't need a pump for the 100' run to my septic tank lol
10-4 this is the biggest mistake people make when putting a garage in. The try and cheap out on the dirt work.

10-4 this is the biggest mistake people make when putting a garage in. The try and cheap out on the dirt work.

I told my buddy (the site work guy) to do what he would do if it was his. When we 1st started talking he was thinking 10 loads minimum but ended up not being as bad once he got it all stripped down.

He also took out twice the amount of trees because and, I quote, "that's what I would have done" :laughing:

I
I told my buddy (the site work guy) to do what he would do if it was his. When we 1st started talking he was thinking 10 loads minimum but ended up not being as bad once he got it all stripped down.

He also took out twice the amount of trees because and, I quote, "that's what I would have done" :laughing:
it never fails. My dad digs a basement and these trees need to get saved. Struggle to work around them to get a house in. Come back a few years later and they are all cut down. :homer:

cash is king you are doing it right:beer:

Shit. I'll probably end up financing the building or at least part of it for a few months to keep cash open to do plumbing and electrical. Between the price of everything still going up and I Got hit with a LARGE tax bill I wasn't counting on due to a shitty accountant (that's now gone). Cash is gonna get snug

Shit. I'll probably end up financing the building or at least part of it for a few months to keep cash open to do plumbing and electrical. Between the price of everything still going up and I Got hit with a LARGE tax bill I wasn't counting on due to a shitty accountant (that's now gone). Cash is gonna get snug
that makes sense, give the bank money to somehow save money

Top Back Refresh