What's new

RIP the 6.2 gasser!

JR4X

wheeler
race
Member Number
Loc
Farmington NM
I never loved them. The 6.2’s pathetic rain of terror is finally over. Its replacement is finally a better engine. I went from 5.4’s to 6.2’s needing them to be good but the 6.2 is every bit the disappointment the 5.4’s were.

I just got an XL 250 with 6.8 and 10 speed. This thing has balls that a gasser 3/4 ton hasn’t had in many years. With somewhere in the neighborhood of 450K miles on 6.2’s I think I’m plenty qualified to talk my trash.

IMG_5713.jpeg
IMG_5714.jpeg
IMG_5463.jpeg

Weird, I like my 6.2 work truck. Definitely not what I would pick for towing a skid steer or mini ex, but the ~8k lb water buffalo wasn't too bad.

Aren't you always at high elevation? Because that would make sense, the one time I had it at 5k+ feet, it was getting pretty gutless :laughing:

also, your fleet truck is pretty much exactly what I am looking for in 10 years, flogged to shit and everything :laughing:

buy cheap enough to rebuilt and continue to trash it :smokin:

120k #5 intake spring broke, not clicking noise and luckily screwed into itself. Started as a misfire code for #5 and figured time to change all 16 plugs and wires. Code went a away for a few hundred miles and came back and heard clicking. Pulled valve cover and noticed the spring looked fucked up.

1710285479191.png

First time pulling a trailer got misfire code for #8, popped the valve cover and all looked good. Swapped coil packs to see if that was the cause and it would still through misfire code for #8 when motor was working hard. Premium fuel helped but problem remained till I traded it off at 168K for a '23 6.7psd which is what motor I should have gotten in '15.

On another note, how do you like the 23+ platform?

We have one F550 at work and so for it seems disappointing. Already had some steering and track bar issues.

I've only owned the 17+6.2's
Had a 17 and currently a 21 6.2 and a 22 7.3 . Both are 350's with the ten speed and 4:30 gears.
Honestly not a huge difference between the trucks , the ten speed is a huge improvement towing.
We're a little nervous about the 7.3 longevity, that's the reason we got the 6.2 in 2021. Thought we were good to go by 2022 but maybe not.
Hopefully the 6.8 is a rock solid motor! My next truck will probably be the 6.8 but I've got a couple years yet before we replace the 21.

Had a buddy with the 6.2 in the steel truck and it definitely reminded my old 5.4 . We had one 6.8 in an O7 with 4:10 years and it towed great. Definitely glad we went with that one over the 6.0 , probably save a lot of headaches lol.

Weird, I like my 6.2 work truck. Definitely not what I would pick for towing a skid steer or mini ex, but the ~8k lb water buffalo wasn't too bad.

Aren't you always at high elevation? Because that would make sense, the one time I had it at 5k+ feet, it was getting pretty gutless :laughing:
nothing would make me happy. Maybe a raptor and I’ll talk trash about its maintenance requirements. Impossible to please because I have race cars that don’t have the ability to tell me no. I just spent the last 3 months driving a really nice 6.7 powerstroke as my work truck and I have my complaints about it too.

The last truck I truly loved in every way for what I was doing was a 2015 5.0 F150. This is the 4th brand new truck since then and I drove a couple partially used up ones as I bounced around jobs a bit. The 6.2 ford is much preferred to a 6.0 GM. But I’d never pay money for either. Yes on the elevation

Last edited:
pretty much yes, iirc slightly less compression and cast crank shorter stroke?

Aren’t the 6.8 V8 identical to its big brother 7.3 aside the shorter stroke?
Yes. Baby Godzilla as far as I know.

In 2023 you could still get a 6.2 gasser even though the 7.3 has been out a few years. In 24 the 6.2 is no longer an option.

nothing would make me happy. Maybe a raptor and I’ll talk trash about its maintenance requirements. Impossible to please because I have race cars that don’t have the ability to tell me no. I just spent the last 3 months driving a really nice 6.7 powerstroke as my work truck and I have my complaints about it too.

The last truck I truly loved in every way for what I was doing was a 2015 5.0 F150. This is the 4th brand new truck since then and I drove a couple partially used up ones as I bounced around jobs a bit. The 6.2 ford is much preferred to a 6.0 GM. But I’d never pay money for either. Yes on the elevation
I thought the one truck you truly loved was your 6.4? I guess until it broke at the end

I thought the one truck you truly loved was your 6.4? I guess until it broke at the end
I probably would have had a different relationship with it as an oilfield truck. I live two separate lives. One where I use up trucks as a consumable, 4 years being the longest I drove it and that was driving it to death.

The other, where I take impeccable care of them and do my best to keep them forever. My actual favorite vehicle is my 93 C350 centurion with a 460/E4OD. It’s mostly stock and I just rolled 98,000 actual miles on it a couple weeks ago.

What finished it off?

Btw I love real world results.

How many wheels you wore out? I remember your posts about steel rim edge wore to a razor edge or basically wore off :eek:

What were most common causes for its out of commission requiring unscheduled repairs?
I killed the trans. Which believe it or not, is the first automatic transmission I’ve ever had go out on me. Mid December we had to go pull on a loaded semi. Unlike giving a tug to a pickup where you pop it free and it can move on its own from there. We had two identical trucks and we had to pull hard for miles to get that pos out of the hole it was in. 2 weeks after these pics were taken. 2nd gear went out. Truck had 150K miles on it, engine ran good with the stereotypical 6.2 lifter tick. As soon as I turned it in they took it to have the engine pulled so they can put the engine in another truck with a service bed that needs a long block. 2nd gear completely disappeared and it would slip in 3rd and 4th.
IMG_5373.jpeg
IMG_5371.jpeg
IMG_5372.jpeg

We've had to do that a few times with stuck/spun out lowboys. Sure isnt easy on a pickup:laughing:

Any idea if that was the 6r140?
Yes, that’s what it was. I’m not exactly blaming the trans for being weak. It was not given an easy pavement pounding life. IMO torque management does more harm than good. Even with traction control & advance trac turned off the torque management still intervenes when you’re in a slick situation and it’s sensing one front wheel not spinning at the same rate as the other 3. So you get two options with the TM in that situation. Rev limiter or reduced power. When I was pulling that semi I was manually shifting between 1st and 2nd on the rev limiter because if you let off to do a steady pull the DBW will just go closed and the truck stops moving.

What kind of mileage are those 6.8s and 7.3s getting? I love my 460 but getting 8mpg is getting kinda old.

What kind of mileage are those 6.8s and 7.3s getting? I love my 460 but getting 8mpg is getting kinda old.
This one is saying 8.8 on the lie-ometer. It has 385 miles on it so give it a few weeks to break in and see where it lands.

image.jpg

Mine so far 2020 f250 4x4 ccsb 3.55 stock tires with grill guard. Haven't pulled with it yet, my shit to pull keeps breaking
IMG_6083 (1).jpg

Dont mind the 30.72 gal math error, i just didnt bother changing the 30 to 32

What do you have done to the truck? My Centurion regularly gets 11. But it’s stock, and I just drive it. No idle time on the 460 truck vs the work truck idles all the time. My last 6.2 truck got 8 mpg its entire life. Had over 10,000 hours on it when I turned it in and the gauge pod separates idle hours and drive hours. I forgot to take a picture but IIRC it had over 6000 hours of idle time

What do you have done to the truck? My Centurion regularly gets 11. But it’s stock, and I just drive it. No idle time on the 460 truck vs the work truck idles all the time. My last 6.2 truck got 8 mpg its entire life. Had over 10,000 hours on it when I turned it in and the gauge pod separates idle hours and drive hours. I forgot to take a picture but IIRC it had over 6000 hours of idle time
It's all stock at this point but when I picked it up it had 37s. No idle time on the truck to speak of and whether I'm empty or loaded to 8k it gets 8.5mpg. It's a CCLB 460/ZF5.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh