What's new

Pics of me towing stuff

I mean it's cool for what it is, but definitely not worth the money. Everything is beyond cheap feeling, doesn't lift all that much, no speed, doesn't even turn sharp like a big one. It also has some wierd drag brake. Like you can be in gear on a hill and it won't move untill you give it quite a bit of throttle. We all thought it was the parking brake stuck on, it's really strange.
They’re nice because you can haul them on a little trailer with a pickup and they’ll fit in a lot of places a big one won’t. But they don’t compare favorably with a skytrak in any way. Especially price.

Ended up trading the 22' tilt trailer and some cash for this over the weekend. So far it's hauled an 80 air compressor :laughing:

20240210_182841.jpg

Ended up trading the 22' tilt trailer and some cash for this over the weekend. So far it's hauled an 80 air compressor :laughing:

20240210_182841.jpg
this mean you're giving up on the OBS? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Rescuing my brother's truck a couple of yrs ago with the new tow rig...
20210516_151334.jpg

Dodge guys have to stick together :flipoff2:
Yeah, yeah, turbo shit the bed on his truck right at 100k, ended up deleting it at the same time...

We were both die hard Ford guys, but after all of his 6.0 and 6.4 issues, we crossed over to the dark side.

I made the mistake of using his truck to haul our junk out to Moab one year, next year I had my own.
20160603_105708.jpg
20170929_104728.jpg

It's crazy what these new diesels will do with out breaking a sweat.

My 97 7.3 at 20k gross would have to work to pull grades at 45mph, then sucked going down the other side just as much :laughing: this 6.7 does it as easy as a sedan.

Had my works 19 F550 at 42k gross the other day and handled it well imo. :smokin:

It's crazy what these new diesels will do with out breaking a sweat.

My 97 7.3 at 20k gross would have to work to pull grades at 45mph, then sucked going down the other side just as much :laughing: this 6.7 does it as easy as a sedan.

Had my works 19 F550 at 42k gross the other day and handled it well imo. :smokin:
Gonna sell the 97?! Lol

What year is your new truck?

YotaAtieToo can you tell a difference between the F550 and your F350?

2016 F350 is 440/860
2019 F550 was derated to 330/750

Yes, but I'm typically way heavier with the F550.

The good thing about the F550 is the 4.88s. Makes getting 35k+ moving much easier. The F350 has 3.73s and still isn't bad though.

One thing I'd be curious about is if the F350 will eventually defuel down to about the same power pulling weight up big hills.

So the guy I got the gooseneck from was shutting down his construction business. Long story short I told my boss about it and he ended up buying a ship full of tools. We kicked around a few ideas about 2 enclosed trailers, a 40' container, then decided a 20' container on the 36' trailer. It actually worked out perfect except I should have put the container back and some of the other shit in front. Ended up 12k on the rear axle which is a bit over the door sticker, but we'll within the tires. 600 miles and never had any hub or tire get warm.

Container is jam full :laughing: ended up 36k lbs gross. Truck handled very well imo

20240227_103932.jpg
20240227_103947.jpg
20240227_103949.jpg

First Pic is well before we were done

20240227_070919.jpg

:laughing:

20240227_100356.jpg

YotaAtieToo can you tell a difference between the F550 and your F350?

2016 F350 is 440/860
2019 F550 was derated to 330/750

Today was the first apples to apples comparison. We have a 7% hill right before the shop, about 2 miles long and you have to start at the bottom at 35 mph. I run it loaded almost every weekday in my work truck at 36k lbs. I'm usually doing about 45 mph at the top. Today I hit at 36k lbs in the F350 and could immediately tell I had more power. Hit the top at 52mph, but also seemed to get there from 35 mph quicker.

That is awesome to hear! I sometimes wondered if the added power is a marketing tool and under severe loads it derates quickly to F450/550 power levels. I guess that isn't the case.

My old job I was a wrecker driver. That short wheel base F550 drove like a frikin Porsche

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240208_102531_Photobucket.jpg
    Screenshot_20240208_102531_Photobucket.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221004_181820.jpg
    20221004_181820.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220331_112924.jpg
    20220331_112924.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220222_154959.jpg
    20220222_154959.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200418_082317.jpg
    20200418_082317.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 38
That is awesome to hear! I sometimes wondered if the added power is a marketing tool and under severe loads it derates quickly to F450/550 power levels. I guess that isn't the case.

I'd wonder how that would change on a longer grade though? The one I mentioned is only 2 miles, get on a longer grade and they may even out as things hot?

I'd wonder how that would change on a longer grade though? The one I mentioned is only 2 miles, get on a longer grade and they may even out as things hot?
Good point, it’s February in Idaho too. A warm February but February, nonetheless.

90* out on a 10 mile grade may even things out

Had to use the trailer the other day. Wanted to see what it would look like with the crawler behind the Jeep. Manual trans kills tow capacity. 4500 pounds vs 7700 with the auto, so (un)fortunately you won't see this load killing any nuns near you.:flipoff2:

1000022926.jpg
I’ve never looked into the JT platform but that’s a much bigger difference in towing capacity between manual and auto than I would have expected!

Curious if the weak link is considered to be the clutch or trans?

I’ve never looked into the JT platform but that’s a much bigger difference in towing capacity between manual and auto than I would have expected!

Curious if the weak link is considered to be the clutch or trans?
From reading around its the clutch thats the weak link. Which if that is the case, wouldnt surprise me. It's a pretty disappointing driving experience that way; love the truck but the clutch leaves a lot to be desired, super light pedal and super difficult to feel the engagement point. They have had 3 recalls on the manual JL/JT platforms for the clutch. First 2 were software updates, finally came out with a total replacement update.

The disappointing one for me is the diesel has a lower tow capacity than the gasser, somewhere just shy of 7k pounds, iirc. I read somewhere was due to cooling system performance. Bummer because I kinda had some thoughts about selling my 3/4 ton and buying the diesel gladiator and having it be my DD and tow rig for the couple times a year I actually haul my crawler around. But I knew I wouldnt be happy towing with the 3.6 gasser at max capacity. But instead of all that I found a smoking deal on a new manual gasser and decided to just keep a real truck around for truck duties. We will see how that plays out.

If I had to guess, a small part of the difference is due to the diesel weighing a couple hundred pounds more (500# for the EcoDiesel vs 360# for the 3.6L Pentastar), but the bigger reason is probably that the automatic gives the ECU full torque control to help avoid converting drivetrain parts into confetti whereas they can't do that with the manual transmission.
From what I understand they do a lot of torque control with the modern motors to let them get the claimed "thousand foot pounds of torque" without making it easy to break drivetrain components (or play Mustang and wipe out when you put your foot to the floor).

Aaron Z

From reading around its the clutch thats the weak link. Which if that is the case, wouldnt surprise me. It's a pretty disappointing driving experience that way; love the truck but the clutch leaves a lot to be desired, super light pedal and super difficult to feel the engagement point. They have had 3 recalls on the manual JL/JT platforms for the clutch. First 2 were software updates, finally came out with a total replacement update.

The disappointing one for me is the diesel has a lower tow capacity than the gasser, somewhere just shy of 7k pounds, iirc. I read somewhere was due to cooling system performance. Bummer because I kinda had some thoughts about selling my 3/4 ton and buying the diesel gladiator and having it be my DD and tow rig for the couple times a year I actually haul my crawler around. But I knew I wouldnt be happy towing with the 3.6 gasser at max capacity. But instead of all that I found a smoking deal on a new manual gasser and decided to just keep a real truck around for truck duties. We will see how that plays out.

If I had to guess, a small part of the difference is due to the diesel weighing a couple hundred pounds more (500# for the EcoDiesel vs 360# for the 3.6L Pentastar), but the bigger reason is probably that the automatic gives the ECU full torque control to help avoid converting drivetrain parts into confetti whereas they can't do that with the manual transmission.
From what I understand they do a lot of torque control with the modern motors to let them get the claimed "thousand foot pounds of torque" without making it easy to break drivetrain components (or play Mustang and wipe out when you put your foot to the floor).

Aaron Z
Makes sense to me on both posts and assumed clutch would be considered the weak link.

Top Back Refresh