What's new

Oddball Heavy Equipment

Swamp logging? It was under "forestry". There's at least 2 and look to be damn near new even though they're 2006s.

Auction is at around 230k. Don't know loggers affording to keep a million or 2 $$ of iron for an odd job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331-141040_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331-141040_Brave.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 69
On the backward tractor forklift thing, I have a very real lust for a Case 586C. Looks like the same frame/drivetrain as my grandpa's 480LL that I grew up running. Pretty sure there's an Irate member who has one. This would be about perfect for any kind of NM backyard shenanigans I could get into.

We have one at work. Might be smaller, but definitely a case. Has a na 4bt so it fires right up, but is kinda a pos :laughing: I'd love to have one around if I had some property though.

That style of lift is super common in the orchard farming. They're pretty sweet for offroad ability, but still way more maneuverable than a gradall.

This thread rocks.

The Menzi Muck digger pictured before is at home on 45+ degree slopes... I've seen operators do amazing shit with them on European ski slopes and rocky roadside excavations. Definitely not good for traversing terrain at any speed though.
Thank you for this. I was reading this thread just for the name of this piece of equipment. After the fires around Lake Tahoe a couple of years ago there was one pinned to the rocky hillside above highway 50 as you come into the Tahoe basin at a ridiculous angle and I never knew how to describe it to search for it.

Thank you for this. I was reading this thread just for the name of this piece of equipment. After the fires around Lake Tahoe a couple of years ago there was one pinned to the rocky hillside above highway 50 as you come into the Tahoe basin at a ridiculous angle and I never knew how to describe it to search for it.

They are so strange and amazing. Menzi Muck is the most common brand globally, and generically they are just "Walking Excavators" or "Walking Diggers", or even "Spider Excavators". Add on the optional hydraulic winch and they can lower themselves down crazy slopes.

Swamp logging? It was under "forestry". There's at least 2 and look to be damn near new even though they're 2006s.

Auction is at around 230k. Don't know loggers affording to keep a million or 2 $$ of iron for an odd job.

Didn't that bobby guy on swamp loggers on the discovery channel have a bunch of skidders with those tires? It was the least drama discover channel logging show and got canceled. He then went to youtube eventually closing up shop.

https://www.youtube.com/@swamploggersnc4720/videos

Didn't that bobby guy on swamp loggers on the discovery channel have a bunch of skidders with those tires? It was the least drama discover channel logging show and got canceled. He then went to youtube eventually closing up shop.

https://www.youtube.com/@swamploggersnc4720/videos
Yep, I think his that had three axles had two of them behind the center pivot (where it looks like that one has one behind the pivot and two in front).
Edit, screenshot:
Screenshot_20230421-215956.png

Aaron Z

They are so strange and amazing. Menzi Muck is the most common brand globally, and generically they are just "Walking Excavators" or "Walking Diggers", or even "Spider Excavators". Add on the optional hydraulic winch and they can lower themselves down crazy slopes.

One of our local mines has one for prepping hillsides for drilling and blasting. Pretty cool the stuff they will operate on.

Yep, I think his that had three axles had two of them behind the center pivot (where it looks like that one has one behind the pivot and two in front).
Edit, screenshot:
Screenshot_20230421-215956.png

Aaron Z
Bogie skidder

That was a good show to watch. Cool to see something totally different and drama free.
Yeah it's a bummer he pulled the plug and sold everything. I don't blame him, loggers are like farmers, there just isn't much ROI for the money they lay out. They tried to do the Youtube thing for a while which was good as well and even less drama than discovery.

Yeah it's a bummer he pulled the plug and sold everything. I don't blame him, loggers are like farmers, there just isn't much ROI for the money they lay out. They tried to do the Youtube thing for a while which was good as well and even less drama than discovery.
I didn’t realize he had sold out of the business until your earlier post.

That was cool to watch.
"Giant" D8.

I had to chuckle. Was in a shop filling tanks a while back and they asked if I could move my truck so they could pull in the mini dozer.

I'm wondering why they'd even have a mini, thinking it's something like a D3, Deere 450.

Ground starts vibrating and around the corner there's a D6 high drive. "Only" 25 tons.

"Giant" D8.

I had to chuckle. Was in a shop filling tanks a while back and they asked if I could move my truck so they could pull in the mini dozer.

I'm wondering why they'd even have a mini, thinking it's something like a D3, Deere 450.

Ground starts vibrating and around the corner there's a D6 high drive. "Only" 25 tons.
All about perspective of what's "giant" or "mini". I could sure use a mini dozer like that one though.

"Giant" D8.

A 6 is a pretty handy size of cat

Quoting myself.

I kept trying to explain how the forward/reverse mechanism worked on these belt driven machines, and I kept getting it wrong, so I watched the video again. I would draw out the moving pully, but no matter what I drew, the wheels kept turning the same way. Looking at the video, the part I was missing was how the chain goes over one pulley and under the next.

It's difficult to make a simple thing. This seems like a really neat way to reverse, quickly and without any gears to grind.

Screenshot from 9:43

bobcat reverse.png

Kanawha cart?

Assuming it's something military, probably aircraft carrier equipment?
Reminds me of the M274 mule.

Screen shots in case the video disappears.

Untitled3.png

That’s a scale test rig. They drop 25000 in blocks in that thing and make sure the scales are within 20 lbs. goes slow and has smooth tires

I didn’t get pictures of them using it to calibrate my new scale.

"Giant" D8.

D8 is a big machine in the grand scheme of things. But ya, you get the guys that get so used to the big stuff that anything else is a toy.

What I don't get about those chains is that all they do is knock it over. You still have to do something with it later. Pile it, load it out, ect. Almost seems like by the time to chain it all down, then go back and pile it up, you could have just used those 2 dozer to just push over and pile it at the same time and not have to spend money on buying and maintaining a giant ass chain.

That’s a scale test rig. They drop 25000 in blocks in that thing and make sure the scales are within 20 lbs. goes slow and has smooth tires

I didn’t get pictures of them using it to calibrate my new scale.
Was just going to post that.
Our scale guys have a similar one, but with solid sides and only 4 wheels.
Our truck scale got pulled out last week. They started jackhammering out the foundation this morning with a Cat mini ex (that lasted till noonish) and ordered a larger excavator (Link Belt 145?) with a larger hammer on it which showed up this afternoon.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh