What's new

No more 60 front in SD

I rotated my picture so the letters would be right side up. I knew you guys have trouble with your letters.
357457.jpg

because fleet has to pay for that fuel and if they all only ever get 7 instead of 9 or 10 mpg, that's a huge difference and will impact what truck is getting bought.

Sure, but these types of changes would amount to dick, mpg wise. Especially with the perma-locked hub.

More likely, it’s all about dropping cost. This smells of “value engineering” more than efficiency.

That's hilarious and both sad at the same time 🤣

All of its bullshit. The other drivers in my fleet could break a fucking anvil and the trucks idle almost as much as they move. The 0.05 mpg increase is negated by the 1 hour warm up every morning because their tampons will be too cold to go to work.

This is still better then a CAD and most likely an easy swap out to manual lock outs. Unlike the Uber gay two piece shafts with a window cut in the axle tube.

This is still better then a CAD and most likely an easy swap out to manual lock outs. Unlike the Uber gay two piece shafts with a window cut in the axle tube.

CAD axles are just fucking dumb. Whoever thought up that idea in the first place should be kicked in the kunt repeatedly. All that bullshit because some fuckstick doesn't want to get out of his Ram 3500 commuter truck to put it in 4wd. :shaking:

CAD axles are just fucking dumb. Whoever thought up that idea in the first place should be kicked in the kunt repeatedly. All that bullshit because some fuckstick doesn't want to get out of his Ram 3500 commuter truck to put it in 4wd. :shaking:
I think Jeep hit it pretty hard in the early 80s with the XJ but I think the Wagoneers and Chiefs had it before then.

That's just some inbred Jeep/AMC brain fart and Dana met the challenge.

I mean the shafts are still spinning. Here is a genius idea, when winter comes just leave the front end locked in🤣

At least on the SD60 you can just swap out the lockouts and be normal again. All the other systems are bastards and require massive rework.

I have a ‘23 f350 cab and chassis and it has the smaller front axle but it has manual dials on both front hubs in addition to the vacuum shift dial inside. With the prices of these trucks now , I’m not happy that it isn’t a 60 up front. Maybe it’ll be fine, idk. I guess we will see

1 free wheeling hub > central disconnect

This is where we are at in life...🤣

They need like a "real truck" aftermarket kit. Just has a set of locking hubs and floor shift conversion for the tcase.

It's for when your turn dial fails and you have hit it with your purse for long enough.

So just a side note since we are past the whole side track. I just got back from the Caribbean. Hilux is king. Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier/Navarro, and the Chevy/Isuzu midsize whatever the fuck name all seem to still have their corporate rear axles.

I drove a diesel Ranger in Ecuador a few years back and it also had a corporate or non-Dana rear axle. All of them were drop out thirds. So whatever these companies are doing it is definitely just for the North American market.

And if you think we get nothing but shit look at what Toyota makes for the rest of the world and tell me we don't get the big ol shaft-eroonie...

It's even stranger that the manufacturers would all go to Dana Advantek for NAS pickups and SUVS but still use their own axles pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
How many stories have you heard where the t-case dial failed? I remember saying that in 2012 when I got my first dial shifted superduty. I’ve since had 7 new trucks and over 700K miles on knob shifter t-case trucks and not one issue either Ford or GM. I’ve torn up all kinds of stuff and the last t-case I broke was floor shifted.

All of them are trash, doesn't matter who makes them.

Literally the GM forum has someone right now asking for help because their dial won't engage 🤣

You know how many manual hub lever actuated systems I've had that failed to work...zero.

I don't really care because my F150 has a dial and it works just fine. But a lever and hub system is pretty bulletproof, also far cheaper to fix when something fails.

All of them are trash, doesn't matter who makes them.

Literally the GM forum has someone right now asking for help because their dial won't engage 🤣

You know how many manual hub lever actuated systems I've had that failed to work...zero.

I don't really care because my F150 has a dial and it works just fine. But a lever and hub system is pretty bulletproof, also far cheaper to fix when something fails.
Well I don’t spend time in the 🌈 forum.

That 7 trucks 700K + miles is not an exaggeration. No t-case shifter knob troubles. Tore up plenty of other stuff but not that.

How many stories have you heard where the t-case dial failed? I remember saying that in 2012 when I got my first dial shifted superduty. I’ve since had 7 new trucks and over 700K miles on knob shifter t-case trucks and not one issue either Ford or GM. I’ve torn up all kinds of stuff and the last t-case I broke was floor shifted.
Took them 15-20yr of constant failures in the 90s and 2000s to come up with an electric transfer case that didn't involve praying every time you hit the button. :laughing:

They fail when people who never use them get their hands on them and they rust up to the point where you really gotta muscle them.

Took them 15-20yr of constant failures in the 90s and 2000s to come up with an electric transfer case that didn't involve praying every time you hit the button. :laughing:
I don’t think it’s “the button”(dial, whatever) that fails on shit post, oh, 2010? T-case motor still fails. I’d rather sit in my toasty cab and swap a switch than crawl under with a hammer and prybar to clear the ice block from underneath to swap out the motor.
Or just pull back on a stick as God intended:flipoff2:

Blinking 4wd light of death 🤣

Then God gave us levers...

Oh wait it's the other way around. 🤦

I will say the only issue with the old fashioned system is lack of use. Hub getting stuck or the lever bushings freezing up giving you a stuffy. But that from neglect not poor design.

Looking at the bright side, this. Realistically I’m scared of what kind of dumb stuff I’ll find if I pull it apart.

Couple guys with 24's have swapped out the pass hub using factory hub parts and the factory vac line on that side (23's still ALL came with both auto/locking" hubs). Everything bolts right up (for now)...... 24 Tremors still get both auto/locking hubs since they have front LS.

I copied below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I swapped out my passenger side fulltime lock out and I can confirm the parts below will make the passenger side hub function just like the driver side Auto/Manual locking hub. This is a simple swap that should take you less than 30 minutes. You remove the 3 bolts holding the locking dial onto the hub, pull the fulltime locked hub out. Insert the auto/manual hub into the hub in the same orientation as the one you removed. Install the 3 bolts. Then remove the rubber plugs on the vacuum lines and install the new vacuum line. Test it out to make sure everything is functioning properly when locked and unlocked. The axle shaft on the passenger side no longer spins when set to auto.

PC3Z-3B396-A Assembly Front Axle Hub (This is the Auto/Manual hub assembly)
HC3Z-3C125-B Tube (This is the vacuum hose needed to connect the 2 vacuum ports on the passenger side)
W709526S901 Bolt (This is the bolt that holds the lock out onto the face of the hub. This is optional as you can simply reuse the 3 bolts you removed.)

Here is a comparison of the two hubs. The fixed or fulltime locked is on the right in the picture.
both_hubs_64c96bdf52777a7a190787a7f716cdea0a5e3397.jpg

Close up of the fulltime locked hub.
locked_14d0beac48785b12ac5328eaa4ca88a5a2e5835a.jpg

Close up of the auto/manual lock out.
to_manual_9fb41b0ebe71199f059f379c324fec25015b4081.jpg

Inside the hub.
nside_hub_0221e09c9da132650d9d75771d3ca7adaf7efbac.jpg

Installed.
installed_182134d1c22176e59263d363f975ada64082aa75.jpg

Vacuum line installed.
cuum_tube_04afa7efddc2250bd893ebd9db994f63f45e6286.jpg

Last edited:
I think the greatest fail was the GM CAD setup that used a heating element to lock the axle and would unlock if it got splashed with snow/ice:lmao:

And if my eyes aren't deceiving me on that last picture posted of the hub, it looks like they went to 32 spline axles now, down from 35 spline outers:confused:. Or am I just not counting correctly because of my small screen on my phone?

ETA, on my laptop it does look like 35 splines still:homer:

I may swap the passenger side hub for a Auto->Lock hub just to keep that shaft from spinning all the time bugging me.

I’m guessing the reason I can no longer get a floor shifter and Free->Lock hubs has to do with this.
IMG_2652.jpeg
IMG_2653.jpeg
IMG_2654.jpeg

Same dial also switches to Tow/Haul and Economy modes. I tried slippery roads yesterday on some ice. It puts it into 4hi and maybe shifts the transmission easier, but it’s hard to tell so that last part could be my imagination.

At least the fix is easy and requires not much for parts. Unlike fixing a CAD system.

I don't know how any of those modes work. My F150 is so fucking numb between the over boosted steering, traction control, and numerous blinking lights I don't know if it's breaking traction or has an engine fire.

NGL... I prefer the simplicity of manual hubs, but I used 4wd every single day getting up the driveway. Turning a dial is nice in that regard

And if my eyes aren't deceiving me on that last picture posted of the hub, it looks like they went to 32 spline axles now, down from 35 spline outers:confused:. Or am I just not counting correctly because of my small screen on my phone?

ETA, on my laptop it does look like 35 splines still:homer:
Always has been 32sp in the UB

NGL... I prefer the simplicity of manual hubs, but I used 4wd every single day getting up the driveway. Turning a dial is nice in that regard
Why not just leave them locked in during that time of year? Everything I drive lives with the hubs locked in all winter. No reason to unlock them, even if I’m taking chains off the tires

User error: guaran-fucking-teed they had 20,000 tickets for “4WD won’t engage” because the hubs weren’t locked that they just said fuck it.

Well I don’t spend time in the 🌈 forum.

That 7 trucks 700K + miles is not an exaggeration. No t-case shifter knob troubles. Tore up plenty of other stuff but not that.

Sure, but you’re a manly man with a manly man’s job. How often did you shift it OUT of 4? :flipoff2:

Wouldn’t you just leave it locked? :flipoff2:

Why not just leave them locked in during that time of year? Everything I drive lives with the hubs locked in all winter. No reason to unlock them, even if I’m taking chains off the tires

It’s all year round. We use 4wd for the driveway almost 100% of the time.

It makes the drive up the hill easier and reduces grading requirements.

Saw a 23 (I believe) f550 today and it still has the 60 up front. Does the 450 still have it?

Always has been 32sp in the UB
UB? I was talking inner and outer axle shafts spline count. Mine is 35 spline inner and outer shafts on the newer SD one and 35 spline inner and 30 spline outers on an older Dana 60? Am I not tracking you or what? I just installed these 35 spline warn hubs on the newer SD 60.

Warn Hubs

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh