What's new

No more 60 front in SD

^

Because all this expensive fancy new stuff was supposed to get better fuel mileage than the old big blocks it replaced, and it way does NOT get better fuel mileage.
They get a couple MPG better than that 1990 big block if you drive like it's 1990, there's some piece of shit in front of you following the 55speed limit and you can't pass them because you have 240hp in a 6000lb truck. :laughing:

Took delivery of a new F350 today with whatever the new front axle is. Cheap fuckers only put a hub on the driver side. Passenger side has a fake hub labeled “always locked.”

Took delivery of a new F350 today with whatever the new front axle is. Cheap fuckers only put a hub on the driver side. Passenger side has a fake hub labeled “always locked.”
That's dumb.

All this efficiency shit and they still want to pretend that free hubs are too difficult

That's dumb.

All this efficiency shit and they still want to pretend that free hubs are too difficult

I find that ironic too. They go through such efforts for fuel efficiency, but hey, let's get rid of locking hubs and have the front end spinning all the time because people can't be bothered to get out of the cab to put the truck in four wheel drive :homer:

I find that ironic too. They go through such efforts for fuel efficiency, but hey, let's get rid of locking hubs and have the front end spinning all the time because people can't be bothered to get out of the cab to put the truck in four wheel drive :homer:
My ‘17 has the actual Free->Lock hubs and floor shift. That’s no longer an option, even on XL trucks. Everything gets a dial on the dash and a vacuum Auto->Lock hub. I glanced at a tremor they had sitting on the lot and it had two hubs, I’m guessing because of the front limited slip.

I used 2 Low fairly regularly backing trailers. I was hoping I could disconnect a vacuum line and still do that with this truck, but now I’m wondering if there’s any stupid Dodge style disconnect going on inside the axle.

1 free wheeling hub > central disconnect

This is where we are at in life...🤣

They need like a "real truck" aftermarket kit. Just has a set of locking hubs and floor shift conversion for the tcase.

It's for when your turn dial fails and you have hit it with your purse for long enough.

So just a side note since we are past the whole side track. I just got back from the Caribbean. Hilux is king. Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier/Navarro, and the Chevy/Isuzu midsize whatever the fuck name all seem to still have their corporate rear axles.

I drove a diesel Ranger in Ecuador a few years back and it also had a corporate or non-Dana rear axle. All of them were drop out thirds. So whatever these companies are doing it is definitely just for the North American market.

And if you think we get nothing but shit look at what Toyota makes for the rest of the world and tell me we don't get the big ol shaft-eroonie...

It's even stranger that the manufacturers would all go to Dana Advantek for NAS pickups and SUVS but still use their own axles pretty much everywhere else on the planet.

Heard this as well. No idea what the benefit is over the vacuum locking hubs. Seems like it’s less efficient to spin 1/2 an axle

Last edited:
Heard this as well. No idea what the benefit is over the vacuum locking hubs. Seems like it’s less efficient to spin 1/2 an axle

If one is still locked doesn't that mean the spider gears are turning at double the wheel speed, or am I thinking about it wrong? :confused:

Why’s everyone talking about fuel economy on Super Duties?

1705178922636.png

They aren’t rated…. At all. Ford could put a parachute behind them if they wanted.

Yes essentially one hub locked and unlocked acts exactly like a CAD except the point of disconnect is the hub and not the two piece long shaft.

Yes it makes the carrier gears turn opposite going down the road.

Why’s everyone talking about fuel economy on Super Duties?

1705178922636.png

They aren’t rated…. At all. Ford could put a parachute behind them if they wanted.
because fleet has to pay for that fuel and if they all only ever get 7 instead of 9 or 10 mpg, that's a huge difference and will impact what truck is getting bought.

at least it looks cool and they've gone to an exposed torx head bolt :laughing:
I think my ‘17 has exposed torx head, but I’ll check on that later.

When I get time I’m going to pull it and see what’s in there. I can’t imagine why, but maybe I’ll get lucky and a regular hub swaps on.

So can one of you fancy dealer techs pull an exploded diagram up and tell us if it's a fancy cover over a drive slug or just a normal hub with some shit in it to keep it from turning?

That makes no sense to me. Does it actually turn?
Automotive engineers have all sorts of dumb groupthink going on when it comes to lookts

"gotta be symmetrical"

"interior can't have exposed fasteners"

"let's glue on some random chrome triangle to finish out the body line started at the door"

Top Back Refresh