What's new

No more 60 front in SD

Saw a 23 (I believe) f550 today and it still has the 60 up front. Does the 450 still have it?

Post #38 here says F450 still gets M256. But no real "proof" of that I've seen yet (except maybe all 450's are dually's, and dually's
are supposed to still get M256).

I think Jeep hit it pretty hard in the early 80s with the XJ but I think the Wagoneers and Chiefs had it before then.

That's just some inbred Jeep/AMC brain fart and Dana met the challenge.

I mean the shafts are still spinning. Here is a genius idea, when winter comes just leave the front end locked in🤣

At least on the SD60 you can just swap out the lockouts and be normal again. All the other systems are bastards and require massive rework.
CAD's not so bad. Simplifies shit a lot out at the hub end and gets you 90% of the parasitic drag savings because the ring & pinion, driveshaft, and transfer case chain are all sitting still. The losses are in the churning oil so if the only gears spinning are the spiders in the carrier that's a big drag savings. Plus with a synchro in the transfer case you can get shift-on-the-fly engagement. That gets all the front driveline parts up to speed and then there's no clash as the CAD connects. It's really an elegant solution.

Of course it needed to be built out of quality parts and that's where the cost savings took the reliability out of the concept.

Yes but hubs aren't exactly complicated when they are serviced. Plus if they are locked the tcase doesn't need a synchro. It will shift on the fly as long as everything is turning at the same speed.

I will say as a Toyota tech back in the day when they were doing a CAD it did work pretty well. But it was also a simple system and still used a lever. When the Tundra came out it was push button and that when became troublesome.

Of course Jeep/Dodge used vacuum too but the Chinesium lines would dry rot after a few years unlike the Jap rubber 🤣

I don't know, for a "truck" it should be better. If it's a car platform I wouldn't care as much.

Took them 15-20yr of constant failures in the 90s and 2000s to come up with an electric transfer case that didn't involve praying every time you hit the button. :laughing:
When I got a new truck I was scared for that same reason, owning 1990's ford's where the stupid 4x4 button never worked.
All the new stuff seems reliable to me too.

Each one of my later model F150s have never had a problem. Knock on wood it's never given me anything other then a let's fucking go light.

But my buddy's Tundra recently gave him the flashy flashy stuck in low range $$$ indicator.

I personally just prefer a lever. Bad enough I have a computer swapping cogs.

I bought an F150 new in July of '05 and drove it till '22 when I got my F350 and never had an issue with the IWE's or the transfer case shifter motor. I was wary of it at first since everything I own was a manual shift t-case, but I never had an issue. I used 4x4 on that truck a lot also, like 2-3x a week.

Top Back Refresh