What's new

MNR 4600 class 2021 U4 Bronco build

How are you doing that? I cannot figure out how to link like that. I have a better one that shows the green flag fly
while watching video click 3 dots, click copy link
Untitled.png

you jumped the green flag so dave had big brother shut you down?
I didn’t red light, at all. Just walked away from the n/a auto transers when the flag flew. Flag man ready’s the flag by raising it. I hold the clutch on the floor and right pedal the engine at about 5000 rpm to get the turbo spinning. When flag man drops the flag right foot goes to the floor and I dump that Spec racing clutch and it does what you see in the video. I did the same hole shot on the V6 turbo broncos at Crandon. Either it was just the relays time. Or the impacts from landing the jumps knocked the shit out of it.

I didn’t red light, at all. Just walked away from the n/a auto transers when the flag flew. Flag man ready’s the flag by raising it. I hold the clutch on the floor and right pedal the engine at about 5000 rpm to get the turbo spinning. When flag man drops the flag right foot goes to the floor and I dump that Spec racing clutch and it does what you see in the video. I did the same hole shot on the V6 turbo broncos at Crandon. Either it was just the relays time. Or the impacts from landing the jumps knocked the shit out of it.

I'd lean towards the impacts messing up the relay. Stuff like that lasts hundreds of thousands of miles in road cars, but I'm sure wasn't spec'd to withstand impact after impact of U4 racing. Any way to replace that relay with something heavy duty or something different all together that can withstand race duty?

Bebop

I didn’t red light, at all. Just walked away from the n/an auto transers when the flag flew. Flag man ready’s the flag by raising it. I hold the clutch on the floor and right pedal the engine at about 5000 rpm to get the turbo spinning. When flag man drops the flag right foot goes to the floor and I dump that Spec racing clutch and it does what you see in the video. I did the same hole shot on the V6 turbo broncos at Crandon. Either it was just the relays time. Or the impacts from landing the jumps knocked the shit out of it.
Well at least you know what the issue is now. I’d imagine those semi-continuous impact create havoc for electrical systems. May have to add replacing electrical relays and fuses to the race prep list.

Meant to ask, any idea how much air (height or length) you were getting off that biggest jump?

Well at least you know what the issue is now. I’d imagine those semi-continuous impact create havoc for electrical systems. May have to add replacing electrical relays and fuses to the race prep list.

Meant to ask, any idea how much air (height or length) you were getting off that biggest jump?
I’m already looking for sealed units and in more reputable brand names.

Not sure on the big air but it was much better in qualifying and the heat race. The track was so beat up for the main event I couldn’t get near the speed before the launch like I was earlier in the day.

I’m already looking for sealed units and in more reputable brand names.

Not sure on the big air but it was much better in qualifying and the heat race. The track was so beat up for the main event I couldn’t get near the speed before the launch like I was earlier in the day.
Cool deal. You and Sr were hucking that biggest jump and the finish line one too.

I'd lean towards the impacts messing up the relay. Stuff like that lasts hundreds of thousands of miles in road cars, but I'm sure wasn't spec'd to withstand impact after impact of U4 racing. Any way to replace that relay with something heavy duty or something different all together that can withstand race duty?

Bebop
PDM time

Or at the very least a solid state relay.

sarcasm bud, sarcasm.
Sorry 😞, still exhausted from too many hours on the road and not enough sleep. My brain isn’t fully braining yet
PDM time

Or at the very least a solid state relay.
I’ve seen a PDM do similar and avoided them because of it. Sell me on it please? A friend of mine is all in on these little 2.3’s in rock crawlers and has his own ECU, Harness with PDM among other fancy stuff he’s been trying to talk me into using.

I’ve seen a PDM do similar and avoided them because of it. Sell me on it please? A friend of mine is all in on these little 2.3’s in rock crawlers and has his own ECU, Harness with PDM among other fancy stuff he’s been trying to talk me into using.
At the very least, with a PDM, if you ever have a circuit that trips, you can reset it without needing parts.
Same works for circuit breakers. No way I would put a relay back in this vehicle.

Battle in BlueGrass U4 USA race #1, figured we probably better go since Shawn made the poster. I’ll spare you the boring details of rehabbing two very broken rigs and building a whole new trailer after KOH. We dragged all our goodies clean and prepped the 22 long hours’ drive to Bowling Green Kentucky home of Holley USA among other cool things. We got signed in with Roxy and Pam before Miles sent us to our projected camping spot. With the previous night’s rain we promptly sunk the semi getting it stuck in the grass at the Beach Bend Raceway. Didn’t take long for the U4 USA crew came to rescue us with a back hoe and getting us pointed to a little safer parking spot for our big tractor rig. We suited up and went out to practice in our allotted time slots. The track was short however very busy with lots of tight turns jumps and a sharp rock pile just waiting to gash tires. After practice we went over the cars before lining up for our turns at qualifying. Shawn and 4531 went first and got a solid second place in 4500 class. I went next in the 431 Bronco and got the #1 spot in class, with a pace my race mates thought looked a little unsustainable. We put everything up for the evening and went to dinner at the White Squirrel Brewery for pizza and beer while catching up with new and old racer friends. We then took our coolers full of beer down to the drag strip and watched all the dragsters set their ET’s and practice. Beach Bend Raceway is a beautiful old place with tons of stuff going on.

Saturday we got up and ran our preliminary races, Shawn taking 2nd in 4500 while the little Bronco and I got the #1 spot in 4600. We then set about seeing what we could do to help our fellow competitors get put back together for the main events later that afternoon. Broken front ends, engines flinging belts, burnt spark plug wires. We usually kill the time between races working on something whether it’s us or our friends. Then the main events came. The lighting was perfect, the temperature was just right with a little breeze to keep the dust off the track. Shawn and the 4531 Bronco were first row off the line and got the hole shot on everybody keeping the lead for most of the first two of ten laps. Then DW racing in that killer UFO machine got around him in the rocks and held his spot for the rest of the race, Shawn got that 2nd place spot on the boxes. With the 431 Bronco we also got the hole shot and lead the first couple of laps. Somewhere in the middle of the race the little 2.3 was starting to sputter and cut out before coming roaring back to life. About mid way through the race it shut off all the way coasting to a dead stop for about 2 minutes allowing Jon Schaefer to get a whole lap up on me and falling back to 5th place. I just kept flipping switches till it started again and got moving just as Jon came by me. Feeling let down I just kept a good pace waiting for it to shut off again. With 2 laps left to go Drew got in my ear and told me to get on it, we could still get on the podium if I could first get in front of Schaefer then pass a couple others that had passed while the bronco took a nap. I put the hammer down and drove it harder than it’s ever been driven before and it never bobbled again. Jon got the white flag with me right on his tail but shortly after I got in front of him giving me one more lap on my own white flag while he took the checkered. I managed to get past two other rigs to take the checkered in 3rd. When I shut it off to get out, it never started again till we got it home. A no name brand of solenoid I had put in there when we built it had failed us. Had another to put in and boom, fires right up again.

Who doesn't love jump pics? I have hundreds of images from the race but most of the good ones are too large to upload. Super annoying IBB forums :(
00HF2376.JPG
00HF2826.JPG
00HF2339.JPG
CHRS9021.JPG

Thanks for the recap and looked like a mighty fun race! Can’t wait to hopefully see y’all back there next year.

Thanks for the recap and looked like a mighty fun race! Can’t wait to hopefully see y’all back there next year.
It was 45 hours of actual drive time for the round trip. It’s my intended goal to minimize that kind of suck on my time. I know Goodby will have U4 back there next year. I’m hoping for a schedule that keeps me 20+ hours closer to home next year.
I'd actually be interested in reading about that too.

Congrats on two podiums even with difficulty

Meant to say the same on rehab and new trailer.
It was such a whirlwind I didn’t even really take pictures. We got started working on race cars and then the next thing I knew there was a new to us trailer sitting in the driveway. Within days Dad had blown apart the old trailer rendering it out of service.

Soooo… I took over race car(s) duty while dad did the construction in the trailer. I went back and forth from trailer to broncos. We insulated the walls and sheeted in the living quarters of the trailer. Then by himself dad roughed the whole thing in. 4 bunk beds. A kitchen, a bathroom. Fresh water, gray/black storage. Plumbing, electrical, storage. It’s not done done but it’s pretty impressive how much we completed in such a short amount of time.

During that time I did most of the labor of converting his car from 35 spline RCV shafts to 40 spline Branik 1480 jointed shafts. From 5 on 5 1/2 lug pattern to 6 on 6 1/2 to match the little Bronco. I stripped the whole front end out of the little Bronco. Cut the old diff mount brackets off the frame and built them back differently and with substantially more material involved. Cut the whole front bumper off. My brother Kevin was there to run the glue gun final welding everything for me as we went.

When we got home from KOH, my little sister told my BIL, my co-driver. That it was her turn. She’s not waiting any longer for her kitchen remodel, and she’s right. We’ve keeping my co driver hostage for years so he more than owed it to her to get that kitchen done that’s been on hold for like 6 years.

I didn’t take any pictures of bumper build progress. When we built the first one we had no idea how much the soft IFS sacking out was going to allow the front bumper to take huge hits way up high. The top hoop and wing supports were .120 wall and we snuggled it up to the front fascia pretty tight not giving the body enough protection. So the bumper got pushed up into the grill headlights and surrounds.
IMG_5765.jpeg

So we replaced the top tube with.188 wall. And the little wings that have a bend are now straight pieces of .250 wall. So we moved the bumper further away from everything to protect the body parts next time when I replace all the stuff that got smacked and bent. This pic is from ridered3. There’s a strut brace and gusset in there that you can’t see that angles from the outer tip to the frame to keep those wings from being able to bend backwards.

IMG_5975.jpeg

Once the front of the thing was completely disassembled. Getting to the front diff brackets, it was pretty easy to scarf what little bracket was left off the frame and make a clean slate.

Maybe foolish but I want to be able slam an off the pallet new diff in, in a hurry. So I don’t want crazy complicated one off brackets that require fussing with if I need to exchange it. We were able to get a new diff side bracket to replace the broken and bent one. I’m confident this piece only got ruined because of the failure on the frame side first. That’s just mocking up a rework of that removable piece. That weird slot is to make it so you can get that up and over the factory studs in the V6 automatic broncos that have turbo only inches away from where that lands.

IMG_5692.jpeg

On my little 4 cylinder man trans truck I have tons of room in that space. Once again, didn’t get near enough progress pictures. We mig weld everything not tig so F-O about grinding on the weld washers. We machined and made 1/2” thick weld washers & welded them to the ears of the dog bone piece and up sized the fasteners to 5/8” from 10 mm. The platform flats that the dog bone rest on are now 3/8” thick. The triangle gussets are 1/4” thick. The part of the frame this is all landed on is double wall 3/16”.

IMG_5716.jpeg
IMG_5717.jpeg
IMG_5718.jpeg
IMG_5715.jpeg

Top Back Refresh