What's new

MNR 4600 class 2021 U4 Bronco build

pics of race trailer build too?
Only a few to share. The trailer story. Our old trailer is a mid 80’s Frito Lay leaf spring trailer. In our opinion they make great race trailers because they are well built and with 17.5 wheels have lower deck height and more interior space. We put over 200,000 on that trailer and it was pretty used up when we got it. It was starting to crack and break apart as well as wearing tires weird. Having it aligned wasn’t fixing the tire wear so with the frame and wall cracks it was time to replace it.

Since replacing, it was time to upgrade. Air ride and 22.5 wheels to make it easier to get tires for and air ride to stop it from beating itself to death on our terrible American highways.

Kevin found this for dad only a couple hours away. I’m pretty good shape. 48 ft, air bagged, allied moving van with belly storage. Pretty recent DOT certified inspection.
IMG_2155.jpeg

Dad parked it next to the old one. Recycled as much as he could out of the old one as far as living quarters. 22 feet of LQ and 26 ft of garage. Had had new ramp overs built so we can park the cars over the top of the storage. We have tons of parts tools consumable’s etc under the ramps.

IMG_2187.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg

I don’t have any finished pics. The ramp overs are skinned with 1/8” aluminum deck plate. The old trailer still has the ramp overs inside because the dimensions didn’t work out for the new one.

IMG_5763.jpeg

At KOH Shawn and Chuck were in First place with 5 miles to go to get to the checkered flag. The throttle cable got sticky during the race and going up spooners with a big engine not dropping below 2200 rpm they took a bounce stuffing the left front tire into an undercut and snapped a brand new RCV shaft. They had to winch the last couple hundred yards out of spooners and dropped into BackDoor with 3 wheel drive. When they hit the bottom of BD and hit the gas to make the front pull out. The drivers side pulled but the passenger side did not. So it spun around and ended up upside down in the hole. Between someone backing into them in the rocks and the roll over. The body got pretty well obliterated. Even the grill was ruined. Everything but the hood got replaced and even the hood needed fixed.
IMG_3694.jpeg

image000001.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2190.jpeg
IMG_2189.jpeg
02163531-ba01-4990-af9c-089db3854544.jpeg
image000001.jpeg

Last edited:
Only a few to share. The trailer story. Our old trailer is a mid 80’s Frito Lay leaf spring trailer. In our opinion they make great race trailers because they are well built and with 17.5 wheels have lower deck height and more interior space. We put over 200,000 on that trailer and it was pretty used up when we got it. It was starting to crack and break apart as well as wearing tires weird. Having it aligned wasn’t fixing the tire wear so with the frame and wall cracks it was time to replace it.

Since replacing, it was time to upgrade. Air ride and 22.5 wheels to make it easier to get tires for and air ride to stop it from beating itself to death on our terrible American highways.

Kevin found this for dad only a couple hours away. I’m pretty good shape. 48 ft, air bagged, allied moving van with belly storage. Pretty recent DOT certified inspection.

Dad parked it next to the old one. Recycled as much as he could out of the old one as far as living quarters. 22 feet of LQ and 26 ft of garage. Had had new ramp overs built so we can park the cars over the top of the storage. We have tons of parts tools consumable’s etc under the ramps.

I don’t have any finished pics. The ramp overs are skinned with 1/8” aluminum deck plate. The old trailer still has the ramp overs inside because the dimensions didn’t work out for the new one.

$10k is less than most ~20' enclosed trailers are.

Those side doors are kinda cool too for air flow or hanging out at camp.

$10k is less than most ~20' enclosed trailers are.

Those side doors are kinda cool too for air flow or hanging out at camp.
It’s cra-zay

If you can pull it off. You can get way more rig in tractor trailer for less than 1/2 of what a DRW pickup and enclosed cost. Dad’s tractor is a bad MF and I think it was $35K. Tire life is great. We have around 200K miles on the drive tires we put on it, and they’ve got a lot of life left in them still.

The cons. If it breaks down your road side emergency $$$ jumps up substantially. Dad has a CDL, has maintained it my whole life. I can’t drive it, we rely on dad only to get that thing to and from.

It’s cra-zay

If you can pull it off. You can get way more rig in tractor trailer for less than 1/2 of what a DRW pickup and enclosed cost. Dad’s tractor is a bad MF and I think it was $35K. Tire life is great. We have around 200K miles on the drive tires we put on it, and they’ve got a lot of life left in them still.

I've been finding decent ish looking older enclosed for under $10k that you could pull with a $20k truck, But I have 10x's the confidence in an older semi & trailer than an older regular enclosed and 20 year old 1 ton.

The cons. If it breaks down your road side emergency $$$ jumps up substantially. Dad has a CDL, has maintained it my whole life. I can’t drive it, we rely on dad only to get that thing to and from.

True, although at least you guys are just a semi, not a toter, so you could get a penske or similar semi to get you home.

I've been finding decent ish looking older enclosed for under $10k that you could pull with a $20k truck, But I have 10x's the confidence in an older semi & trailer than an older regular enclosed and 20 year old 1 ton.

48 footers extra tall? Or are you just talking about a little one crawler trailer? Nobody makes a toy hauler like dad just built, not even close. If you had a 48/50 footer with living quarters in front, two rigs and a mobile repair shop inside it are you still looking to tow it with that $20k dollar truck?

I have a regular enclosed FYI. But that’s apples to aliens in comparison. We park two 5000 pound rigs on top of an engine, transmission, axles, welder, tools and 10 full size spare tires for the rigs. Still fit a golf cart under either bronco or Jeep. You’re looking at a $100k dollar stacker to get the space we’re using.
True, although at least you guys are just a semi, not a toter, so you could get a penske or similar semi to get you home.

48 footers extra tall? Or are you just talking about a little one crawler trailer? Nobody makes a toy hauler like dad just built, not even close. If you had a 48/50 footer with living quarters in front, two rigs and a mobile repair shop inside it are you still looking to tow it with that $20k dollar truck?

Absolutely not, guess my example was pretty pointless really. :homer::laughing:

I have a regular enclosed FYI. But that’s apples to aliens in comparison. We park two 5000 pound rigs on top of an engine, transmission, axles, welder, tools and 10 full size spare tires for the rigs. Still fit a golf cart under either bronco or Jeep. You’re looking at a $100k dollar stacker to get the space we’re using.

Damn it, now I just want to sell my weak little drw and gooseneck so I can have a big party trailer :flipoff2:

Absolutely not, guess my example was pretty pointless really. :homer::laughing:

Damn it, now I just want to sell my weak little drw and gooseneck so I can have a big party trailer :flipoff2:
We started out with the pickup and a huge race trailer. Even with 3 7K Dexter axles it was easy to overload it and have tire trouble. I get away just fine with my SRW pickup pulling a 24 foot enclosed loaded to the brim. But everything we can fit in that trailer doesn’t scratch the surface of what we pack in the big trailer

It was 45 hours of actual drive time for the round trip. It’s my intended goal to minimize that kind of suck on my time. I know Goodby will have U4 back there next year. I’m hoping for a schedule that keeps me 20+ hours closer to home next year.
That is a lot lot lot of windshield time!! Just arrange a Fly and Drive again and I'll pick you up from the Nashville airport :lmao:

It’s cra-zay

Interesting info on your dad being the only driver. I always assumed the tractor was registered as an RV so would be weight/license endorsement exempt?

That is a lot lot lot of windshield time!! Just arrange a Fly and Drive again and I'll pick you up from the Nashville airport :lmao:

Interesting info on your dad being the only driver. I always assumed the tractor was registered as an RV so would be weight/license endorsement exempt?
It is registered as an RV. Private coach, not for hire. But it’s a legit semi with air brakes and weighs about 70,000 pounds and 75 ish feet long. I’ve never driven anything like it. 18 speed manual. I need to learn and contribute on the driving side.

It is registered as an RV. Private coach, not for hire. But it’s a legit semi with air brakes and weighs about 70,000 pounds and 75 ish feet long. I’ve never driven anything like it. 18 speed manual. I need to learn and contribute on the driving side.
Makes sense all around there.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

No, that’s the yard tug. That little truck is a 70’s F8000 with a 671 Detroit. It’s all that truck can do to just move the trailer around the yard. This is the “motorhome”
Ok cool, I wasnt going say anything if that was the bad MF. :homer:

:lmao:

Ok cool, I wasnt going say anything if that was the bad MF. :homer:

:lmao:
The long truck is too long to get the trailers in and out of the driveway. Can’t make the corners. We just use that little junker to jockey trailers in and out.

Funny story about that little junker. My grandpa got that thing for free for going and getting it out of the road In Arizona over 20 years ago. It was being used by Hatch River expeditions to haul river boats for the Grand Canyon river guides. It quit running in the middle of road. They called my Grandpa and told him he could have it if he’d just go get it out of the road. He took his tools and adjusted the rack right where it sat. He Got it running and drove it home to Farmington from Page Arizona. It did turn out to have a dead hole. Dad paid to have a liner and piston replaced to get it running on 6 cylinders again. I don’t even actually know who owns it. I think it had been sitting for 12 years when dad grabbed it and put it to work. Think dads been using it for 8 years. Being a Detroit, it really just converts diesel into noise. Hateful awful noise. Even for free, it’s no prize.

Last edited:

No, that’s the yard tug. That little truck is a 70’s F8000 with a 671 Detroit. It’s all that truck can do to just move the trailer around the yard. This is the “motorhome”

IMG_5308.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5306.jpeg
I drool over that tractor every time I see it in person or a picture online.

IMG_5308.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5306.jpeg

That's a $35k truck? :eek: I'll take a couple of those please.

That's a bad ass rig for sure. :smokin:

That's a $35k truck? :eek: I'll take a couple of those please.

That's a bad ass rig for sure. :smokin:
Yes. 2007. Fully self contained with fresh/gray/black tanks. Full size Shower, toilet not a SSS. Kitchenette with a sink. A/C and heat. 14L 600 hp 60 series Detroit. Hasn’t been completely trouble free, but hasn’t been terrible.

The path to making a previously CMV into a motorhome is a PITA and each state does it differently. Only a few places will insure them.

State Farm says mine is too commercial and won't give me an RV policy on it, but they've given me a commercial policy for it. It's like $50/month for liability only, but it wasn't an issue to write it alongside my 8 or 10 other policies. it's been off the road for a couple years now; hopefully getting a policy again is not an issue when I get to using it again. If I gave it a paintjob and some less utilitarian amenities they'd probably like it a lot more.

IMG_5308.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5306.jpeg

Have you ever had issues with DOT harassing you?

Have you ever had issues with DOT harassing you?
Not really but it’s always a concern. At the California entry stations dad wheels it right on through the car lanes. Have had some flabbergasted booth attendants but showing them the “private coach not for hire” stickers on the truck and trailer gets us right through. Don’t stop at ports and haven’t been hassled yet. We do our best to make sure it would pass inspection if some froggy young DOT cop ever decides to get pissy about it.

Yes. 2007. Fully self contained with fresh/gray/black tanks. Full size Shower, toilet not a SSS. Kitchenette with a sink. A/C and heat. 14L 600 hp 60 series Detroit. Hasn’t been completely trouble free, but hasn’t been terrible.

The path to making a previously CMV into a motorhome is a PITA and each state does it differently. Only a few places will insure them.
can we get pics of this....that sounds pimp, and the fact that DOT is like :homer:

Top Back Refresh