What's new

iBooster Electric Brake Booster

The wiring thread got me thinking about how the power should be ran to the iBooster.
I assume it’s clean power since it has a computer even though it has a large motor.
It should also brake with the ignition off if you want to shut off the engine but hold the brakes.
Thinking of having it on the master kill switch otherwise always on.

The wiring thread got me thinking about how the power should be ran to the iBooster.
I assume it’s clean power since it has a computer even though it has a large motor.
It should also brake with the ignition off if you want to shut off the engine but hold the brakes.
Thinking of having it on the master kill switch otherwise always on.
That's how mine is run, ignition wire and primary power both run to the master kill stud as I recall.

1680552219098.png

snivilous - I borrowed the 3D model that white-rhino printed, and wanted to verify this is a Honda Accord model and that the 2 ports you added on the master are for brake fluid reservoir. So it should be rotated as to the picture above.

Also wanted to confirm that you said this worked fine with super duty brakes, is that the 2004 or 2005+?

snivilous - I borrowed the 3D model that white-rhino printed, and wanted to verify this is a Honda Accord model and that the 2 ports you added on the master are for brake fluid reservoir. So it should be rotated as to the picture above.

Also wanted to confirm that you said this worked fine with super duty brakes, is that the 2004 or 2005+?
Yes, I just looked, all three iboosters I have are 18-19 Honda Accord. The master is the thing coming off, there's the two studs drawn and everything behind that is the master. The two bosses coming off the master in the CAD model are the two brake lines outputs. The CAD model doesn't show the reservoir mounting as I recall. The reservoir is 90deg clockwise from the brake line outputs if you're looking towards the master.

The master can be rotated 180deg since the mounting pattern is symmetric.

The brakes I have are 99-04 stock super duty brakes.

I’m wanting to try this on a jeep based buggy.
What is the best source or application for a gen 2 ibooster that’ll work with a one ton master cylinder?
Thanks

I sent a note to SGH innovations. In a youtube video they have a Tesla Gen2 iBooster hooked up to a factory pedal and have a pressure gauge on it. In the video it only shows it going up to 300psi or so, which made me a little nervous.

This morning I sent an email, and got a reply that it can get to 100 bar (1450psi) on the test buck on a factory 26mm master cylinder. The gauge in the video only goes to 100 bar, so not sure if there's more capability, but it at least provides a number for some calcs with the stock master.

So here's a screenshot of the tweaked Billavista brake calc using that info. I adjusted the boost multiplier to hit master cylinder pressure of 1450psi using a 4:1 pedal (not sure if Tesla is same as Accord, but I'd guess so) and the 26mm master cylinder.

Between seeing a local guy make 2004 F250 rear caliper brackets for a 14-bolt and HYDRODYNAMIC fitting them to the bigger F550 dana 60, it made me look at how'd it calc out on my buggy. My biggest struggle is that my stock 05 Super Duty D60 calipers are huge and make for a PITA hydraulic ratio. The 2004 SD rear calipers get the ratio better, and based on the calc I should see an easy 10% improvent in brake torque over my manual setup and not need the crazy throw from a 9:1 pedal.

iBooster.jpg

One thing about not knowing if 1450psi is the max with stock master, is that it doesn't help to know if there's more if a bigger master were installed. All else being equal, a 1.125 master would produce 1200psi, 1.25" @ 978, 1.313 @ 887psi. But if the multiplier is larger, then obviously you would have more headroom.

I’m wanting to try this on a jeep based buggy.
What is the best source or application for a gen 2 ibooster that’ll work with a one ton master cylinder?
Thanks
I thought the OP had a link but I don't see it. Here is a page with a list of SOME vehicles with iboosters: iBooster donor vehicles - EVcreate

I bought all three of mine off of eBay and for 18/19 model year Honda Accord and at the time ran ~$300. Others on here have gotten them from other vehicles.

EDIT: Added the list and link to that page to the OP

Last edited:
They aren't.
Albeit small-ish differences, I have 3 and they are all different.
How are they different? I'm still torn between the ibooster or hydroboost for the new buggy that will have very similar brakes as Hydros has on DustBuggy

Physical differences in mounting patterns, motor orientation, plug orientation etc.

I don't have the boosters easily available now for pics.

Physical differences in mounting patterns, motor orientation, plug orientation etc.

I don't have the boosters easily available now for pics.
Well shiiiiit that sounds like the majority of stuff, I need to change the OP if every fucking dimension is wrong for anything besides a 18/19 Accord

I finally got a chance to pull my panels to scope out the available room for the model. It's not looking promising to fit it in without a major revamp. The biggest problem is my steering column and orbital are in the way. I might be able to fit it below the column but it impacts my floor panels and gets really close to the exhaust, plus I will loose mechanical advantage of the pedal ratio.

I'm going to pull my current Wilwood stuff out to get a better look.

how do the iboosters do in mud and water ?

At this point i have manual brakes with 2x willwood MC
I found an ibooster of and renault zoe. its gen 2
i probably have to swap the master cillinder to something bigger. but i would like to try because i have brakes but they suck.

As long as you keep the master upright, does it matter what angle the booster is mounted?

As long as you keep the master upright, does it matter what angle the booster is mounted?
I don't see why it would. It's just a motorized mechanism. You could use it for anything in any orientation that you want an electric push assist.

how do the iboosters do in mud and water ?

At this point i have manual brakes with 2x willwood MC
I found an ibooster of and renault zoe. its gen 2
i probably have to swap the master cillinder to something bigger. but i would like to try because i have brakes but they suck.
No insight into the iBooster, but I know when I switched from "good manual brakes" to hydroboost, it was eye opening. Will never go back to manual brakes again based on the difference between those two options.

iBooster vs hydroboost. With the master I was using, about 2.5" shorter.

5F00BBFD-55A9-4562-9E3B-688AE850556B.jpeg

Manual brakes are fine if they’re done right. The pedal travel is still gonna be shit no matter what.

Boosted brakes can be done wrong and they still work. That’s why I like them so much.

iBooster vs hydroboost. With the master I was using, about 2.5" shorter.

5F00BBFD-55A9-4562-9E3B-688AE850556B.jpeg

Manual brakes are fine if they’re done right. The pedal travel is still gonna be shit no matter what.

Boosted brakes can be done wrong and they still work. That’s why I like them so much.
Are you ditching hydro boost?

Is there a consensus on which master cylinder would be iBooster compatible and work with 1 ton axles?

Is there a consensus on which master cylinder would be iBooster compatible and work with 1 ton axles?

Not that I've heard. It will depend on what brake package you are using.

I believe snivilous is running 99-04 superduty brakes on his buggy with the Accord master and is happy.

Hydraulic ratios of Accord master cylinder with common 1-ton brakes
Accord factory 10:1
99-04 Ford SD60 17:1
05+ Ford SD60 21:1
79 Chevy D60 22:1

There's a guy selling iBooster with a Wilwood 1.125 master adapted to it for chevy square bodies if you google.

Hydraulic ratios of Accord master cylinder with common 1-ton brakes
Accord factory 10:1
99-04 Ford SD60 17:1
05+ Ford SD60 21:1
79 Chevy D60 22:1
Which is a fancy way of saying that cars use a larger master in proportion to their brakes than trucks so just crunch numbers and you'll probably be able to find a smaller master off an older car that's a good match for your brakes.

JNHEscher bolted an ibooster to his lesbaru with basically no dumb fab work (right?). Subaru hates changing shit so just go through their lineup until you find something right. :laughing:

Which is a fancy way of saying that cars use a larger master in proportion to their brakes than trucks so just crunch numbers and you'll probably be able to find a smaller master off an older car that's a good match for your brakes.

JNHEscher bolted an ibooster to his lesbaru with basically no dumb fab work (right?). Subaru hates changing shit so just go through their lineup until you find something right. :laughing:
Correctamundo. Gen 2. Bolted right in. Only thing I needed was a thread adapter for the pushrod. McMaster had that and it was the exact length needed, so basically a direct fit as well.

Top Back Refresh