What's new

iBooster Electric Brake Booster

snivilous

Member Number
Loc
Southern UT
1680551350172.png

I didn't see anything on irate about the iBooster so wanted to start a thread about it now that I have some evidence of it being good for crawling. This is meant to give information and add options when it comes to braking, not to say it's better or worse than other options.

Summary:

I initially was turned on to the iBooster by the Youtube channel SuperFastMatt and he has an extensive video on it here:

Since I watched that video, I've installed two, one on a 1978 Toyota Hilux that weighs 2000lbs and now my buggy that weighs about 4000lbs with 40s and stock super duty brakes, and I also have a third unit waiting to be installed on my 1977 FJ40. The braking performance on the Hilux is stupid good, and arguably more so on the buggy. I originally bought a Wilwood manual brake setup from Busted Knuckle and did all the brake calculations and tried different pedals, but at the end of the day there was no getting around needing a long stroke from the pedal to get lots of mechanical advantage to get good braking performance. Hydro boost is it's own animal that I don't have knowledge of. Pneumatic (vacuum) assisted brakes are typically pretty huge, so was very intrigued by the iBooster.

I have driven my buggy twice with the iBooster, once around the neighborhood and once doing a sand hollow loop. I have a 4:1 pedal ratio, meaning the pedal has a total travel of about 5" and I have had plenty of braking to lock up my 40s with stock brakes. I barely have to touch the brakes and there is barely any effort, a child could do it all day. Additionally since it's ignition controlled, as long as my master kill switch is on I have full braking performance. The iBooster can also be tied into the CANBUS and linked to ABS and traction control (above my pay grade). The iBooster is extremely simple, has tons of braking performance, can function even if the engine is off at full power, and is very modular and runs about $500 or less all set and done.

Details:

The iBooster is built by Bosch for multiple OEMs, and my understanding is the unit is the exact same (there is a gen 1 and gen 2) and from the master cylinder onward is customized by the OEM. As I recall the buggy one came from a 2019 Honda Accord, the one in the Hilux might've also been an Accord, I think Chrysler Pacificas have them, Teslas have them, they are extremely common. The Hilux one I got with the master and brake reservoir for like $300, the buggy one a few months later was like $450 off ebay.

The iBooster is like a normal booster where it's ultimately a mechanical assembly that is assisted, in this case by an electric motor. The youtube video above goes into detailing taking the unit apart and explaining how it works, but what matters is that if the motor fails you still have manual braking. The system has multiple functions, but ultimately defaults to needing a simple harness between the computer and the motor, and from that to your wiring system. You supply 12V+ and Ground to the system, and an ignition signal to turn on, and that is it.

iBooster Vehicles (list from here: iBooster donor vehicles - EVcreate) -- note this isn't a comprehensive list and double check the model year has the booster you want before blindly buying one

iBooster GEN1 list​

1. Audi A3 e-Tron
  2. Chevrolet Bolt
  3. Chevrolet Malibu
  4. Honda CR-V (MY 2018, 2019)
  5. Jaguar i-Pace (MY 2019, 2020)
  6. Porsche Panamera (MY 2017+)
  7. Tesla Model S (MY 2015+ (with autopilot))
  8. Tesla Model X (MY 2015+)
  9. Volkswagen Passat hybrid
  10. Volkswagen e-Golf
  11. Volkswagen e-UP
I will add a reference table to OEM part numbers later in the EV parts database I’m working on.

iBooster GEN2 list​

1. Honda Accord
  2. Tesla Model 3
  3. Tesla Model Y
  4. Renault Zoe (2018+)
  5. Renault Captur hybrid (2020)
  6. Renault Clio V hybrid
  7. Citroën DS 7 Crossback
  8. Peugeot 3008 II
  9. Volkswagen Caddy Cargo V
  10. Porsche Taycan
  11. Toyota Yaris IV hybrid

Wiring instructions are here (screenshot below): Wiring the Tesla iBooster - EVcreate

1680551041219.png

1680551024428.png

Wiring kits in the US can be found here for $90, does not include the wiring (make sure it matches whatever generation they are): iBooster – Tulay's Wire Werks

1680551309365.png

iBoosters: I found all of mine on ebay by just searching "iBooster", they run around $300 typically and are in everything from Tesla, to Chrysler, to Hondas. There are physical difference between different vehicle's boosters, not all iboosters are externally identical.

-------Following Info is for a 18/19 Honda Accord's GEN 2 iBooster------

GEN 2 CAD MODEL (scan and approximate CAD model): iBooster Gen 2

Input: 1.25" stroke with a 1/4" eyelet clevis

Output: 2x (front/rear) M12x1.0 Bubble fittings (I use this adapter to convert to a M10x1.0 inverted: Amazon.com)

Dimensions: The booster portion is roughly a 9" circle that is 6.5" deep, with the master cylinder extending out of that

1680551398422.png

1680551418210.png

1680551446529.png

1680551467651.png

1680551486112.png

Master Cylinder: I don't have specifics of the master, but it seems to have a generic 2-bolt pattern and allows the master to be rotate either orientation.

1680552001718.png

Last edited:
Master Cylinder (Continued):

1680552109148.png

1680552099023.png

Mounting: The mounting bolt pattern is 2.375" x 3.1875" square with a 2.5" center bore pass through

1680552176010.png

Generic mounting pictures:

In my buggy it's mounted towards the driver and next to the steering wheel, haven't hit my leg on it yet. Hoses and resi mounting are temporary.
1680552219098.png

My Hilux, made a custom hose block for the master that was lower profile:

1680552308552.png

1680552371856.png

Last edited:
I know most hate electronic type stuff like this but I can say I have been very pleased with my factory GM electric booster that’s been going for 18 years now. I think these will continue to gain popularity.
My 01 4Runner had electric brake assist and a tiny braking unit. I overheated the engine and got towed home, and even to the point the hazards wouldn't flash anymore and that thing kept me having powered brakes all the way back somehow. Stuff like this is extremely cool, and if you're comfortable having EFI on your engine then this is down that same road I think and a very cool option.

Dang. Very cool. I remember that superfastmatt video now that I watched it. I wonder if this would have been less effort than the remote hydroboost.

cough cough white-rhino cough

What master you running with the superduty brakes that mount to this booster?

Dang. Very cool. I remember that superfastmatt video now that I watched it. I wonder if this would have been less effort than the remote hydroboost.

cough cough white-rhino cough
Yep, I'm a-look'in. I like the idea of not having to tie into the hydro steering system and looks like less $$$$. Still not sure I can package it but maybe........

So for those of us who aren't gonna piss away money to avoid running two wires what applications use the gen-1 ibooster?

What master you running with the superduty brakes that mount to this booster?
It's whatever came with the ibooster, your knowledge from the pictures above is as good as mine. It appears to maybe be a 1" or 7/8"? I made a brake pedal and picked the brake lines, everything in between is whatever came off the Honda Accord. The booster unit itself appears to be modular and just drives a rod, so you could conceivably mount any master to it or maybe there are plug and play options from other OEMs and it's a standard size? I don't know.

So for those of us who aren't gonna piss away money to avoid running two wires what applications use the gen-1 ibooster?
Finally found the vehicle list I was looking for!

There's a lot of others not on this list, but looks like a Chevy Malibu and Bolt and CRV had the gen 1.

Excellent thread. While I love my hydroboost, it is a giant pain in the ass. This is much simpler.

I would agree it’s easier to run wires than hydro lines, but when I read through this, I see lots of stuff to fail. What’s to fail on HB? I guess it can leak.
By that logic of failure points, if you ignore the booster itself then your failure point is either a power wire or an ignition wire. And in regards to the booster itself, this is unit that millions and millions of vehicles on the road currently use and is manufactured and vetted right now, and doesn't require tapping into other systems to function.

I know nothing about hydro boost to be fair. This smells like a carburetor vs EFI discussion lol

Harumph! Where were you with this nugget of information a couple years ago? This would have let me ditch the vacuum pump on the back of the TDI motor and move it back a couple inches. Oh well, ain't moving shit now.

Admittedly have not researched the electrical side of this. Does it really need a pedal sensor or just know when to turn on? I'm guessing maybe power from the ignition and activation with a brake light sensor? Or is it just live all the time?

Admittedly have not researched the electrical side of this. Does it really need a pedal sensor or just know when to turn on? I'm guessing maybe power from the ignition and activation with a brake light sensor? Or is it just live all the time?
The pedal sensor is part of the unit. Sorry if that wasn't clear. There's two plugs, in the picture below you can see the main plug, and then a harness running down to the left. That runs into the "body" of the booster into a smaller 4-prong plug. The wiring kit includes the big plug and the small plug, so you have to create the intermediate harness that goes from the big plug to the small plug, then the only thing you supply is power and ignition and ground. So when the ignition turns on, the unit becomes alive. The reason the unit doesn't come with that small 4-wire harness that talks to itself is it's part of the harness of whatever car it came off of. In the wiring diagram it says pedal sensor, that is part of the unit and is just the wiring you make of the unit to itself.

1680653837902.png

This picture shows both plugs. If you buy one of the wiring kits from Tulay, you need some crimping pliers, it comes with the pins and seals and connectors and you need wiring for the 4-wire bundle, and then run three wires from the vehicle to the unit (+, ign, -). It's about as simple of an electrical system as one could ask for as far as installation goes.

LINES IN PHOTO BELOW DO NOT CORRESPOND TO SPECIFIC PINS

1680654404254.png

Last edited:
By that logic of failure points, if you ignore the booster itself then your failure point is either a power wire or an ignition wire. And in regards to the booster itself, this is unit that millions and millions of vehicles on the road currently use and is manufactured and vetted right now, and doesn't require tapping into other systems to function.

I know nothing about hydro boost to be fair. This smells like a carburetor vs EFI discussion lol

umm yea, except for tapping into the electrical system, which happens to be the most unreliable system on a car.

Really, I’m not bashing this. It’s a nice option and I’m sure it works great.

I don’t see a comparison to the EFI/carb as there is a obvious proformance gain with EFI. Are you suggesting this system is superior to HB In some way other than packaging? I’m not sure, but it would appear that this is bigger than a HB unit, so even packaging is debatable.

Top Back Refresh