What's new

High Pinion 9" / 10" Manufacturers Thread

RustyC

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Alabama
Who makes them?
Complete 3rd members? Housings? Ring and pinions?
Search results show. True HI Nine and Mega Hi Nine, Gearworks, Currie.

I would prefer to build my own vs a complete 3rd. Housing are available but gears not so much.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 100314.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-24 100156.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-24 100340.jpg

HI9,
Gearworks,
Tubeworks,

And Currie that uses 8.8 gears (weak).

I think that's it.

Tubeworks makes the best center section, they change the way the bearings support the gearing as well as the pinion. The gearset bearings on a normal layout allow the pinion and gear to separate easily (Why load bolts are a thing): Tubeworks flips bearings 180*, to keep a more consistent engagement for the ring and pinion. It's spendy, but no one else has reworked the 9"-10" Center Section for durability. Their lockers are badass too. All Made in USA.

They also can retrofit other 9" center sections to run their products.

Hard to not go with gear works. At least from my armchair perspective. More ratio options than mega hi9, but around the same price. Arguably stronger?

Tube works is awesome, but does $6100 even get you a complete 3rd?:laughing:

$6k+ though...
That's why I mention the retrofit with their DUPLX support. Gearworks is overpriced to pay for the same weaknesses that every other 9" layout has. They have wins, but those R&P's were changed out every comp, just ask Loren Healy. Tubeworks has increased the service interval for these dropouts with better designs. They're worth reaching out to.

May depend on what you are using it for. I've had a True Hi-9 and Mega Hi-9 in a Jeep. True Hi-9 struggles being sufficient for 39" stickies while crawling. Mega held up much better. If I were starting from scratch again I would probably go Gearworks 10".

Hard to not go with gear works. At least from my armchair perspective. More ratio options than mega hi9, but around the same price. Arguably stronger?

Tube works is awesome, but does $6100 even get you a complete 3rd?:laughing:
Uh, did you even read the description? That's whole thing. If you're looking to do 10" gearsets, it ain't gonna be cheap. It's good to know what the options are and it helps explain the pricing differences as well.

Separately, Motive Gear has a solid selection of 9" and 10" R&P's that are made in Italy. Definitely a good buy if you're worried about cost. Do some REM Polish or WPC Treatment on the gearsets and let the big dogs eat!

Uh, did you even read the description? That's whole thing. If you're looking to do 10" gearsets, it ain't gonna be cheap. It's good to know what the options are and it helps explain the pricing differences as well.

Separately, Motive Gear has a solid selection of 9" and 10" R&P's that are made in Italy. Definitely a good buy if you're worried about cost. Do some REM Polish or WPC Treatment on the gearsets and let the big dogs eat!

Yes, it says complete, but are they selling spools for the same price as comp arbs? :laughing:

That's why I mention the retrofit with their DUPLX support. Gearworks is overpriced to pay for the same weaknesses that every other 9" layout has. They have wins, but those R&P's were changed out every comp, just ask Loren Healy. Tubeworks has increased the service interval for these dropouts with better designs. They're worth reaching out to.
I drive like a complete retard. Absolute no fucks given. I broke a 40sp 300m shafts with a stock 5.3.
And dispite all of that, I'm a long way away from needing the same parts as Loren Healy.

Tim Cameron uses Gearworks centersections in his 1300+hp bouncer.

I don't think the Tubeworks stuff is needed unless you're at the top level of the U4 game, which I am not.

Next axles I'll build will have GW HP centersections and I think that'll be plenty enough.

I drive like a complete retard. Absolute no fucks given. I broke a 40sp 300m shafts with a stock 5.3.
And dispite all of that, I'm a long way away from needing the same parts as Loren Healy.

Tim Cameron uses Gearworks centersections in his 1300+hp bouncer.

I don't think the Tubeworks stuff is needed unless you're at the top level of the U4 game, which I am not.

Next axles I'll build will have GW HP centersections and I think that'll be plenty enough.

Even as expensive as gw is, tubes works is still roughly double that.

How often does TC replace gears? I'm guessing the gear replacement is more of a prevention thing than anything.

Even as expensive as gw is, tubes works is still roughly double that.

How often does TC replace gears? I'm guessing the gear replacement is more of a prevention thing than anything.
He told me he never broke them and changes them once a year as PM.

There's a few things going on here I think, but maybe I'm wrong. True high 9=HP 9", Mega high 9=HP 9" with 35 spline pinion. The Gear works is a HP 10" gear set. I'm not sure about the Tube works stuff? I think the Motive Gear R&P are low pinion 10" stuff?

Please straighten me out if you know. I'm not spending $1500+ on a gear set, so none of it really concerns me too much.

After talking with Tubeworks at a show and getting a better understanding for what they are doing it does seem like their design improvement approach makes a lot of sense. I wanted to justify using it but the price was just to much for a mid level crawler build. I don't know what the upcharge is from spool to locker on a complete center section, but the price for their billet locker outright is significant. I would guess it does not makes sense for them to invest in tooling/forgings to lower the price point on a niche product. And with their current production methods they can customize it freely which appeals to the high end racers.

Hi pinion gear sets are just absent in the market currently. My dad just bought the last mega hi ring and pinion true hi had. No one manufacturing more at the moment. Gearworks will be your only option for a while aside from tubeworks

Gearworks doesn't make gearsets. They have US Gear / Motive build them.
Tubeworks just invested in a new mill that can cut R&Ps. They're amazing and big big money.
What's big money? Company I work for has the capability, not sure about the capacity though.

Gearworks doesn't make gearsets. They have US Gear / Motive build
And US gear is closed. The guy who bought the machines US gear used to make gear sets with hasn’t started producing them yet. What I was trying to say is that TrueHi9 is out of gears. Gearworks still has high pinion gears in stock in limited ratios, the most common ratio is out of stock and on back order.

The lack of avaliability of gearsets is unfortunate. I originaly had knowledge of the Hi-9 and Mega. Learned of Gearworks after the fact. Complete 3rds are out of my budget. Building 9s over junkyard tons is barely in budget so I need to be able to buy components and assemble them myself. I actually prefer to do it myself.

I found the Gearworks case below and it got me considering the process as the price is reasonable. Gearsets are the setback though.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 130411.jpg

[brainfart]Put a reverser box in front ot the TCase and flip some standard 10" LP centersections[/brainfart]

What's big money? Company I work for has the capability, not sure about the capacity though.
$1500 up (way way up) for a set
Call Gearworks and offer your services ?

RustyC Assembled thirdmember is $400 more expensive than buying the parts yourself, IF you can find them. You're not gaining a lot.

The lack of avaliability of gearsets is unfortunate. I originaly had knowledge of the Hi-9 and Mega. Learned of Gearworks after the fact. Complete 3rds are out of my budget. Building 9s over junkyard tons is barely in budget so I need to be able to buy components and assemble them myself. I actually prefer to do it myself.

I found the Gearworks case below and it got me considering the process as the price is reasonable. Gearsets are the setback though.

Screenshot 2023-01-27 130411.jpg

Do you NEED high pinion? If you can deal with a low pinion, even temporarily, you can buy all the parts to assemble a grizzly locked gear works case low pinion 3rd for a little over $1000.

The high pinion gears alone over double that.

[brainfart]Put a reverser box in front ot the TCase and flip some standard 10" LP centersections[/brainfart]

$1500 up (way way up) for a set
Call Gearworks and offer your services ?

RustyC Assembled thirdmember is $400 more expensive than buying the parts yourself, IF you can find them. You're not gaining a lot.

Wasn't there some euro trash 4x4 that used a tcase with only 2 gears and spun the front backwards? Would actually be kinda sweet for this exact situation :laughing:

HI9,
Gearworks,
Tubeworks,

And Currie that uses 8.8 gears (weak).

I think that's it.

The Currie HP 9" has limitations, iirc around 300hp and 35" tires.
I ran one in the back of my Samurai for many years with 35s, 36s, & 37s, Never had an issue.... But I was also only running a Samurai engine.

Wasn't there some euro trash 4x4 that used a tcase with only 2 gears and spun the front backwards? Would actually be kinda sweet for this exact situation :laughing:

Milner Off-Road over in the UK used to build some cool T-cases that used quick change gearsets and were reversed output.

From the Tech Tim Archives:

This purpose built helical gear transfer box was specifically designed for rear engined off-road race cars.

This lighter unit weighs 30KG which is approximately half the weight of a LT-230 Rover transfer box and represents a weight saving of 28KG (63lbs). It provides nine quick change gear ratios ranging from 2.067 : 1, up to 1.31 : 1, and importantly it reverses the output rotation, which means you do not have to turn the axles over to achieve 5 forward gears and one reverse.

Transfer boxes can be supplied with any of the nine ratios on the change gear chart. For example if you decided on change gears 34T and 36T these would give transfer box ratios of 1.74 : 1 if the 34T gear was installed in the top position and the 36T gear to the bottom, or 1.55 : 1 with the gears fitted the other way around. Other gears are available should your first ratio calculation be a little off the mark. Subsequently, a known suitable gear ratio can be installed for a particular event.

The most common transfer boxes are part no. KK2188RF, and KK2188RM. The ‘R’ means right hand output, the ‘F’ and ‘M’ stand for female and male input shaft respectively. For example a transfer box with a female input shaft would accept the 10 spline mainshaft of a LT-77 or R380 gearbox, the male input shaft would be coupled to a torque flight 3 speed automatic mainshaft to make the overall gearbox - transfer box length as short as possible.

All transfer boxes require a fitting kit to locate them to the main gearbox, fitting kits are listed on the price list and consist of a heat treated aluminium adapter, mainshaft coupler, location dowels, oil seals and level plugs, and all associated fasteners.

In addition to ‘standard’ transfer boxes and fitting kits we also offer alternative propshaft flanges, cv joint flanges and three leg spider type couplings which accepts the ‘GKN’ rubber propshaft joint.

G Wagon has a TCase that reverses the front output only. Could be a contender if you're ok with a rear LP and a front inverted LP (pinion at the top but LP gears running backwards).

But it's huge. I mean HUUUUGE. Puts an Atlas / NP205 to shame. The gears are absolutely massive.

I think the low range ratio is 2.2:1.

And the G Wagon isn't Eurotrash. It's probably the best built vehicle I've ever seen.

Last edited:
G Wagon has a TCase that reverses the front output only. Could be a contender if you're ok with a rear LP and a front inverted HP.

But it's huge. I mean HUUUUGE. Puts an Atlas / NP205 to shame. The gears are absolutely massive.

I think the low range ratio is 2.2:1.

And the G Wagon isn't Eurotrash. It's probably the best built vehicle I've ever seen.

I'd imagine it would have to be big to only have 2 gears. :laughing:

A "universal" horizontal mill from 18-whatever has the capability to do hypoid ring gears and can do pinions if you add an indexing head.

I sure as shit wouldn't want to do that job on one though. :laughing:

A "universal" horizontal mill from 18-whatever has the capability to do hypoid ring gears and can do pinions if you add an indexing head.

I sure as shit wouldn't want to do that job on one though. :laughing:
I wonder if he's still profiling them with a ballmill. Pretty sure with that new mill skiving is an option and waaaaay faster.

I know he used to profile the R&P's for the planetary diffs. But those were pretty small with big teeth being only 2-1.

Per my phone call with Tru Hi9. They ordered gear-sets in 2020 and delivery is still a year out. NONE in stock.
Confirms the JR4X statement of nothing available.
I don't HAVE to have a high pinion front but once I set the castor and weld the inner c's I'm committed to one or the other at that point.
May have to sell some plasma for a GW's ring and pinion as the are in stock. I might even consider a used set depending on $

I would seriously be looking at something else.
What's wrong with a HP60 in your application ?

Top Back Refresh