What's new

Edison Motors

Saw they are estimating the kit will be 1/2 the price of a new pickup. Would that be an XL or Platinum? Love the concept, but, look for it in one of those classic power wagon restos :)

Saw they are estimating the kit will be 1/2 the price of a new pickup. Would that be an XL or Platinum? Love the concept, but, look for it in one of those classic power wagon restos :)
Ha I could see a good pairing between Legacy (Power Wagons), 406 Garage (Internationals), or Roadster Shop.

Last edited:
I commented in the pickup video. I thought he might address my questions. I asked how they planned to integrate this with the existing wiring harness? Crickets

In one of their recent videos they talked about how they managed to kill the electronics that ran the batteries during testing, and were still able to drive it on the generator alone. Kind of cool how it has a sort of limp mode if the batteries fail.

In a few years once they have the whole pickup retrofit figured out they need to start building entirely new pickups to. I think he mentioned how difficult it was to build production light duty trucks in an older video because of all the safety standards, but a brand new diesel-electric one ton with the styling and simplicity of an older pickup would be badass.

One thing I don't like about the retrofit is how he want to put everything in the bed. I don't know how much room that generator will take up in the trans tunnel, but since there is no longer a driveshaft/transfer case it seems like you can put batteries under the bed and make the control box a narrow box at the front of the bed so you can still have a toolbox, or are not losing bed space? I would want the control box to be easy to get to, but the batteries don't seem like they need a whole lot of maintenence and when they do you can just pop the bed off to get to them?

I was under the impression that the retrofit kits were meant for classic pickups, not modern ones.

One thing I don't like about the retrofit is how he want to put everything in the bed. I don't know how much room that generator will take up in the trans tunnel, but since there is no longer a driveshaft/transfer case it seems like you can put batteries under the bed and make the control box a narrow box at the front of the bed so you can still have a toolbox, or are not losing bed space? I would want the control box to be easy to get to, but the batteries don't seem like they need a whole lot of maintenence and when they do you can just pop the bed off to get to them?

Sounded like dropping them all in a tool box was the easy button to make it work on every truck. But if you wanted shit stuffed under the truck that was very doable.

In one video Deboss has a 90s dodge pickup, someone else is using a dump truck and the third is an old IHC grain truck they pulled out of some farmers field
As an aside a friend of mine's grandpa grew up in Ireland during WW2 he said all the delivery trucks around town ran off the smoke from buning coal. He said all those trucks disappeared as soon as the war was over

Sounded like dropping them all in a tool box was the easy button to make it work on every truck. But if you wanted shit stuffed under the truck that was very doable.
This is correct all around. Retrofit package is to make it the easy button with any customizing (relocating certain components) to be done by the Edison approved installer.

I was under the impression that the retrofit kits were meant for classic pickups, not modern ones.
Their pickup retrofit kits should fit in anything that’s 4x4 with a solid front axle. I’d imagine older is slightly easier to play nicely together rather than anything more modern (CAN-BUS etc).

This is correct all around. Retrofit package is to make it the easy button with any customizing (relocating certain components) to be done by the Edison approved installer.

It makes sense to do it that way. Expecially as they are still figuring shit out.

More info on the retrofit kits:

Deboss is prototyping it. They are using the 2.8 Cummins for the generator due to emissions.

Their pickup retrofit kits should fit in anything that’s 4x4 with a solid front axle.
I don't think 4x4 or solid front axle is a requirement. ...Or even "truck."

I don't think 4x4 or solid front axle is a requirement. ...Or even "truck."
True on not being a requirement. Should have stated that is the market they are wanting to attract/appeal to.

Could slam an Edison setup into the 4600 VW…

Watch Wes Work posted a pretty good video talking about the series hybrid setup they're using. It's gone now, someone must have bitched about it to him... I watched it sunday when he posted it, but now it's gone lol :grinpimp:

Watch Wes Work posted a pretty good video talking about the series hybrid setup they're using. It's gone now, someone must have bitched about it to him... I watched it sunday when he posted it, but now it's gone lol :grinpimp:
Reading through various comments on a recent Edison Motors video, Edison pointed out WWW was comparing apples (over the road truck range/info/setups) to oranges (vocational truck range/info/setups). Edison plans to have film a video with WWW to discuss further.

It'll be interesting if he can finish with his attitude. He's mad at the Canadian government for being liberal trash, yet he wants more liberal legislation to help him. :lmao:

As soon as I saw he was building solar "generators" it was very apparent he's drank the Kool aid.

Yep litteraly trying to hash it out with MNP financing for being the facilitator and writer of government funding and them then taking a 20% cut of the funding.

Canada is fucked and we just throw money away in the wind. Usually some stupid tranny catches it and starts another Leftist trash club that the government then funnels a bunch more of my money into.

Top Back Refresh