What's new

Buy or Build trailer?

I did aoad calc of that material and it wasn't super hot like over 1.3" with a 150 point load in the center but it's harder for me to calculate the load spread to the other cross members via the floor.
Well I already ordered material. 2.5x1.5 3/16 angle. Also planning to use car decking so it's 2x6 t&g for the decking. Figured that would spread load a bit too.

Well I already ordered material. 2.5x1.5 3/16 angle. Also planning to use car decking so it's 2x6 t&g for the decking. Figured that would spread load a bit too.
2.5 leg down? It'll be pretty good with beefy decking.

Channel is all cut, mitered and beveled. That shit is the shape of a banana. I'll have to burn in one end and try to set the mid point with a crossmember, then finish the other end.

Angle iron is all cut. Just need to notch for the channel.

I think we may have gone overboard on the heavy duty Ness :lmao: it's gonna be a bit portly.

Oh and my fab table at the shop is 6x9'11.... Just missed lol. Also very not flat.

Got it all tacked together. Pretty darn square. Burned in a few crossmembers and the corners before work needed attention. I think we may have Over built this a lot 😂

Channel is all cut, mitered and beveled. That shit is the shape of a banana. I'll have to burn in one end and try to set the mid point with a crossmember, then finish the other end.

Angle iron is all cut. Just need to notch for the channel.

I think we may have gone overboard on the heavy duty Ness :lmao: it's gonna be a bit portly.
I won't say it :laughing:

Still can't weld uphill.... But it's getting there. Half burned In on this side.
1000022039.jpg

All burned in today. Didn't take pics.

Did a axle placement calculator thing. Either my math sucks (possible) or it sucks, or my inputs suck.

I'll have 3'6-3'10 of tongue. Deck is 10'. My brain says axle just behind center of deck? 6" aft, 12" aft?

All burned in today. Didn't take pics.

Did a axle placement calculator thing. Either my math sucks (possible) or it sucks, or my inputs suck.

I'll have 3'6-3'10 of tongue. Deck is 10'. My brain says axle just behind center of deck? 6" aft, 12" aft?
10-15% of load equally distributed on deck for tongue weight.

I'm bad about favoring more than less on light trailers cause all my trucks don't care about tongue weight.

But if you want the trailer easy to move around then you have to balance it better.

10-15% of load equally distributed on deck for tongue weight.

I'm bad about favoring more than less on light trailers cause all my trucks don't care about tongue weight.

But if you want the trailer easy to move around then you have to balance it better.
Yes, I figure this will be on the lighter side most of the time.

I'll have to try the math again. It told me 7'3 from ball which is only like 4'6 down the deck. Makes no sense.

My thinking says just a little behind center Of the deck.

Pretty serious maths on this page

Yes I used this one from that site. Trailer Axle Position - Trailer Building: Where Does The Axle Go?

I may have to do the math again.

I figured 850lb trailer weight. (just guessed, I can math...) and 3k even load with 50lb tongue weight.

OK did the math again with a little better trailer weight and 2500lb load. It gave me 118" ball to axle CL, so 9'10. Which is right about where my brain said to put it. 6'3 down the deck. I was thinking 6'. And my tongue will be slightly longer than the clac, which should add a wee bit more tongue weight. I think 6' sounds about right.

OK did the math again with a little better trailer weight and 2500lb load. It gave me 118" ball to axle CL, so 9'10. Which is right about where my brain said to put it. 6'3 down the deck. I was thinking 6'. And my tongue will be slightly longer than the clac, which should add a wee bit more tongue weight. I think 6' sounds about right.
The farther back the axle is the better it pulls... But also the heavier it is on the tongu/jack etc.

My trailer I posted above will go 100+ mph with 5 dirt bikes solid as a rock:flipoff2:

I'll take suggestions for paint. Ideally something that doesn't care about Mill scale or minimal prep work. And is somewhat durable

I'll take suggestions for paint. Ideally something that doesn't care about Mill scale or minimal prep work. And is somewhat durable

mine's painted with TSC implement paint... Not sure if it was prepped by the builder or not... but it's held up very, very well....

The farther back the axle is the better it pulls...
Beyond a point it makes no difference in practice but the extra weight on the tongue loads and unloads the truck front and rear over every bump and dip and makes for a worse ride.

mine's painted with TSC implement paint... Not sure if it was prepped by the builder or not... but it's held up very, very well....
I’ll second that. I’ve painted two trailers with the tractor paint no primer and they’ve held up well. Getting ready to convert the poly coil trailer I built into a six ton dump trailer. I picked up a gallon of Massey Ferguson red today from tractor supply.

Farm store implement paint. I do a wipe down with acetone and roll/brush it on. Works great.

All seems normal, I'd make the fender so it can't rub if the spring fails.
I have about 2 3/4" up travel, so they should not rub.

I did put the 1750 springs on for now. Went to add brakes and need a seal....

Top Back Refresh