What's new

Anyone see the new Cummins 6.7L gas engine?

Back to? I don't think diesels have been across the board for a long time. I'm 36 and rode CNG busses in middle school. It's the perfect application for them. Short trips and the go back to the same place every day.
The PSI 8.8 in IC buses could be gas or propane powered.

They were good engines except for the last couple of years, then they seemed to have alot of oil leaks from around the pan.
Probably cost-cutting. They've been majority owned by a chinese co. for 5 years now, who's also another of their part suppliers.

Back to? I don't think diesels have been across the board for a long time. I'm 36 and rode CNG busses in middle school. It's the perfect application for them. Short trips and the go back to the same place every day.

The only gasser buses I recall were old church buses.

Buses that picked me up were diesel, class of 97 Same for my daughter class of 22

The only gasser buses I recall were old church buses.

Buses that picked me up were diesel, class of 97 Same for my daughter class of 22
Little rural school I went to when I was 6-7 had an 80's International bus with the 549 gas V8. Thankfully gas was under a buck back then.
No, I didn't know what was in it when I was that age, my 13yo brother did though:laughing:

Pretty sure all the busses I rode to skrewl in were gassers...mid 70's to early 80's.

Pretty sure all the busses I rode to skrewl in were gassers...mid 70's to early 80's.
Our old bus barn mechanic/transport director loved him some SBC 350 powered busses. Thats basically all they had until he retired 20 years ago. Probably some of the last 350 powered busses ever built, the newest one they ordered was late 90's:laughing:

He used to swear by having a couple of "Target 350" crate motors on the shelf. They were like $800 for a long block in the mid 90's. They were (so I was told) factory rejects sent to Mexico and hand-repaired and assembled, they got a 12m/12k mile warranty at the time (not as good as the goodwrench engines but pretty good for the price). I'm not 100% on that price, but they were about 1/2 off a goodwrench 350. He said they were good engines, but if you ever tore one down they might have 1 sleeve, one or 2 mains turned down, who knows. He actually tore a new one down and checked tolerances and said they were more consistent than a new one, but they were a grab bag of fixes inside. He was a part/full time engine machinist on the side and worked at a GM dealer in his youth so he knew a bit about how they should be screwed together.

Our old bus barn mechanic/transport director loved him some SBC 350 powered busses. Thats basically all they had until he retired 20 years ago. Probably some of the last 350 powered busses ever built, the newest one they ordered was late 90's:laughing:

He used to swear by having a couple of "Target 350" crate motors on the shelf. They were like $800 for a long block in the mid 90's. They were (so I was told) factory rejects sent to Mexico and hand-repaired and assembled, they got a 12m/12k mile warranty at the time (not as good as the goodwrench engines but pretty good for the price). I'm not 100% on that price, but they were about 1/2 off a goodwrench 350. He said they were good engines, but if you ever tore one down they might have 1 sleeve, one or 2 mains turned down, who knows. He actually tore a new one down and checked tolerances and said they were more consistent than a new one, but they were a grab bag of fixes inside. He was a part/full time engine machinist on the side and worked at a GM dealer in his youth so he knew a bit about how they should be screwed together.
Target Master 350

No mention of the rework I spoke of, but I would take the old boy's word for it. Every one he tore down had "something" fixed inside it. He probably machined something like 1500 350s, and probably 3000 SBC's total, among other things. Through the 80s and 90s there probably wasn't 1/5 race cars at our local track that didn't have an engine either machined or fully built by the machine shop him and his son ran.

ETA: Other online resources claim they are "reman", but from my understanding, and this guy had spoken to a regional rep about them (as he bought quite a few of them over the years) they were a "reman" of factory defects engines. Like, a line worker forgot to put an oil pump in it and fired it up, a core shift happened when casting and the final machine broke through the bore, a bearing shell got left out... all these engines got tossed in the corner until they were either shipped to Mexico, or in the case of the mexican built engines, were moved over to the reman area.

Last edited:
nOthing particularly other than traditions and history of current drive trains.

When "hot" motors made 250hp off the line the d80 came out and the only thing bigger than that was mdt

Whe the sd 450/550 came out they brought the d110/135 which are built like a mdt/hdt diff.

Since then the only "new" ldt rear diffs are the aam 11.5 and what ever the current design of the sterling 10.5s.

Are they going to start stuffing d110 into 250/2500 trucks to keep up with the hp?

The DRW and some HD tow SRW trucks have a bigger unit M300 11.8" ring gear

1712348961569.png

Little rural school I went to when I was 6-7 had an 80's International bus with the 549 gas V8. Thankfully gas was under a buck back then.
No, I didn't know what was in it when I was that age, my 13yo brother did though:laughing:

Well there were a few short buses I rode in that were gas :laughing:

Yeah gm and ford both had big gas v motors into the 70s with only the td427s and a one from ford making it past that.

V6 478

Both had mid 5oo's v8s.
Gm possibly had a 630/640 something

The the gm 702 v 12

Yeah gm and ford both had big gas v motors into the 70s with only the td427s and a one from ford making it past that.

V6 478

Both had mid 5oo's v8s.

The the gm 702 v 12
My impression is GM didn't try so hard because they had detroit diesel. You rarely see a gas GM MDT from beyond the big I6 and then big v6 era that aren't an SBC/BBC. Ford kept up with the SD until about 1980 or so. Not really sure when IH's big gas stuff died out.

Lot of gas motor busses here are n the internationals. As a kid I think I learned to love the old Idi exhaust smell because of our busses.

I find it interesting to watch things revert back to a big block. It’s interesting they’re all going 7.3+ liter, wonder why they don’t stay smaller but add gearing to transmissions like the ford 10 speed. I wonder if somewhere on the horizon there’s going to be a split between the guy who kind of needs a truck but doesn’t need to haul 30k pounds and the guy who pulls his excavator and dump trailer. Maybe America moves away from the truck as a status symbol mentality

V6 478

Both had mid 5oo's v8s.

The the gm 702 v 12

I could be mistaken, but I thought the sales idiot wanted me to get a 429 in the F800 I bought in '97. He said I didn't drive enough miles with it to justify the deezel "Ford" 5.9 liter that was actually a Kummings but they called it a Ford for some stupid reason back then.

Being the first "big" truck I bought I was pretty sure the sales moron was an idiot so I talked to the service manager. Told him what we would be doing with it and without hesitation he said get the deezel. I listened to him.

Lot of gas motor busses here are n the internationals. As a kid I think I learned to love the old Idi exhaust smell because of our busses.

I find it interesting to watch things revert back to a big block. It’s interesting they’re all going 7.3+ liter, wonder why they don’t stay smaller but add gearing to transmissions like the ford 10 speed.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Ford is the only one offering something in the 7.3L range, and they're all using 8-10 speeds with their gas engines.

Even with the 7.3L, most gas ford's are a 6.8L.

I wonder if somewhere on the horizon there’s going to be a split between the guy who kind of needs a truck but doesn’t need to haul 30k pounds and the guy who pulls his excavator and dump trailer. Maybe America moves away from the truck as a status symbol mentality

Theres been the split for a long time. That's where the 7.3L came in, to try and bridge the gap between the swinging dick diesel and the little 6.2L gas. If this Cummins gas engine is as good as they say on paper, it will do that even better.

Yup...because the EPA has killed the reliability of deezels.
My local school district is switching to gas, cause they can’t get the newer emissions bullshit diesels to start and run reliably in the cold. They don’t have enough older, backup buses, for when the new ones won’t start, so they end up cancelling school.

My local school district is switching to gas, cause they can’t get the newer emissions bullshit diesels to start and run reliably in the cold. They don’t have enough older, backup buses, for when the new ones won’t start, so they end up cancelling school.
It will be amazing if the .gov doesn't mandate electric busses, they'll just withholding funding forcing them.

Id imagine the 7.3 and 10r140 would make a pretty awesome school bus power train though.

That's wierd because the newer stuff starts so much easier in the cold than the old stuff. The only issue we've had with the newer diesels in cold is that they don't put block heaters on because "you don't need them" and they're right, until it's - 20*:laughing:

That's wierd because the newer stuff starts so much easier in the cold than the old stuff. The only issue we've had with the newer diesels in cold is that they don't put block heaters on because "you don't need them" and they're right, until it's - 20*:laughing:

Block heaters are an option on the fords…

Block heaters are an option on the fords…

Yes, but both our newer deere loaders and Hitachi excavators didn't come with them. When we asked, they said "they don't need them" which, for the most part, they do well, but when it's cold cold, they need them.

Although when it was - 20f the loader we had a block heater put on started and idled fine, but after like 30 mins was still mad about everything else being cold and wouldn't move :laughing:

I've also never used the block heater on the Kubota mini ex and it's never hesitated to start.

Anyway, to kinda bring it back to the original subject. Will or even can this Cummins gas engine have an exhaust brake? Edit: Never mind, that wouldn't work :laughing:

Seems a lot of school buses are going back to gas

This place is tied to Blue Print Engines in Kearney Neb

Was at the factory last week on a tour and they had hundreds of industrial gas motors with turbos on skids.

This place is tied to Blue Print Engines in Kearney Neb

Was at the factory last week on a tour and they had hundreds of industrial gas motors with turbos on skids.

That wasn’t the exact link I wanted, but meh y’all know how to find stuff. Was talking to a fleet manager with 10 of them in buses, he’s got a square body that he wants to put one in.

He’s certain it will roast all 4 by just flooring it.

That wasn’t the exact link I wanted, but meh y’all know how to find stuff. Was talking to a fleet manager with 10 of them in buses, he’s got a square body that he wants to put one in.

All the motors I saw had Kolher on the valve covers

I could be mistaken, but I thought the sales idiot wanted me to get a 429 in the F800 I bought in '97. He said I didn't drive enough miles with it to justify the deezel "Ford" 5.9 liter that was actually a Kummings but they called it a Ford for some stupid reason back then.

Being the first "big" truck I bought I was pretty sure the sales moron was an idiot so I talked to the service manager. Told him what we would be doing with it and without hesitation he said get the deezel. I listened to him.
May be confusing the Brazilian Ford diesel with the Cummins, both were used in the MDT line up.

Last edited:
All the motors I saw had Kolher on the valve covers
Kohler is just one of the companies using this architecture. PSI is another, Generac is another. Probably a few others in the power generation space. In the on-road space it’s different, different emissions standards so less companies building niche products.

Me too. Haven't found a wrecked one or trade in bus yet. I probably will in a few more years though, one advantage to working at a bus dealer.

It will be amazing if the .gov doesn't mandate electric busses, they'll just withholding funding forcing them.

Id imagine the 7.3 and 10r140 would make a pretty awesome school bus power train though.
CA already is. WA has huge grants available to entice school districts to get electric buses, if WA didn't no school districts would because of the cost. When you can buy 3 ICE buses for the cost of one electric the school districts can't afford that, so the state makes it so they can and will get them. At least one school district checked with Avista and was told your rural towns electric grid is already maxed out, can't do electric buses.

Top Back Refresh