What's new

Anyone see the new Cummins 6.7L gas engine?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Not much out there yet, but rumor is 350hp/660ft/lbs :smokin: and uses the same block as the diesel.

Will be interestimg to see how it plays out. With the diesel rat race seeming to somewhat plateau, I have to wonder if gas engines in the 3/4t and up trucks will be the next passing match.

Least lame article I found

It seems the big three are starting to invest in the light duty gasoline engine market with emissions crippling their diesel offerings. I know Cummins offered a 5.9L Natural Gas variant alongside their diesel one in the stationary power department years ago.

I think utilizing the current 6.7 platform and adapting it to work with both NG and Gasoline is a good idea. Super simple and robust.. Be interesting to see if Ram incorporates it into their lineup for their pickups and how it performs next to their Hemi engines both in sales and performance.

I think utilizing the current 6.7 platform and adapting it to work with both NG and Gasoline is a good idea. Super simple and robust.
And stupid heavy and expensive for the displacement and power level.

That's the kind of AMC or Studebaker penny pinching you do when you're on the ropes. :flipoff2:

Probably in response to the fine from EPA because they "cheated" on emissions.

Will they phase out deezels in light duty trucks?

It seems the big three are starting to invest in the light duty gasoline engine market with emissions crippling their diesel offerings. I know Cummins offered a 5.9L Natural Gas variant alongside their diesel one in the stationary power department years ago.

When I was in the walnut industry, there was a customer who powered their big dryer fans with NG engines instead of a big electric motor. They had 2 454s and 2 Cummins. Looked exactly like a 24v diesel, turbo and all.

More than likely, stationary power plants is what they were designed for. But I could be wrong. JR4X would know more.

I think utilizing the current 6.7 platform and adapting it to work with both NG and Gasoline is a good idea. Super simple and robust.. Be interesting to see if Ram incorporates it into their lineup for their pickups and how it performs next to their Hemi engines both in sales and performance.

In that article, the guy claims to have driven a ram with one in it, so it definitely looks like the plan.

IMO, if they could make it reliable and work as good as it sounds like on paper, it would be the perfect thing to fill the void between na gas V8 and one million tourques diesel.

And stupid heavy and expensive for the displacement and power level.

That's the kind of AMC or Studebaker penny pinching you do when you're on the ropes. :flipoff2:
No, It's what you do when you have a good design that requires little modification to build a platform that is now, and will be for the near future, a niche product. I can count on 2 hands other companies that do the exact same thing, typically with just a piston change to lower the compression. I have personal experience working on the development of several of these platforms. We actually had a version of this in our facility about 5 years ago.
NG especially (not so much LP) has similar burn characteristics in the chamber as diesel fuel, which is why it is appealing for diesel Mfgr's to use the bones of their legacy products for these engines. It takes very little effort to do the conversion to make a reliable engine.
You are also not factoring in where it makes the power. There's a big difference between an ford modular platform with a chy-na turbo making 350hp at 5000rpm and this making 350 at 1900rpm with a 6000hr. warranty.
It also makes it easier to install in existing platforms. You will find that with companies that just build engines that basing all your variants on a few architectures makes a lot of sense when you have no control over the design of what it's gonna be installed into.
Probably in response to the fine from EPA because they "cheated" on emissions.
This has been worked on for a half-dozen years at least (see above).
Will they phase out deezels in light duty trucks?
That has always been the plan of the .gov and the activists. Not just light trucks either. We have an e100 engine in our facility destined for agricultural applications that uses almost all the diesel hardware including pistons as it runs diesel compression ratio. It is currently making diesel power and torque, though it has a very sophisticated engine performance management system (read: fast processor and lots of sensors, many of which are not typically used outside of a lab environment) that seems fragile in the field to me (it's currently under field trials down south so we should know soon). It's about 10L and it has made 650hp on the dyne, though I don't think that's the final target power, more of a "let's see what it can do" power level.

The OP's article was from august of 2022. If it was going to be something, we would have heard more about it by now.

When I was in the walnut industry, there was a customer who powered their big dryer fans with NG engines instead of a big electric motor. They had 2 454s and 2 Cummins. Looked exactly like a 24v diesel, turbo and all.

More than likely, stationary power plants is what they were designed for. But I could be wrong. JR4X would know more.

In that article, the guy claims to have driven a ram with one in it, so it definitely looks like the plan.

IMO, if they could make it reliable and work as good as it sounds like on paper, it would be the perfect thing to fill the void between na gas V8 and one million tourques diesel.
I don’t have any 6.7 nat gassers yet but I bet they’re out there working.

I have both 12V and 24V 5.9’s, Turbo and N/A 8.3’s, turbo 855’s and turbo KTA Cummins all sipping nat gas right out of the ground.

They burn clean and last a looong ass time burning gas instead of grease. Should be worth a try to replace the cam eating “Hemis” they’ve got in the fleet currently

No, It's what you do when you have a good design that requires little modification to build a platform that is now, and will be for the near future, a niche product. I can count on 2 hands other companies that do the exact same thing, typically with just a piston change to lower the compression. I have personal experience working on the development of several of these platforms. We actually had a version of this in our facility about 5 years ago.
NG especially (not so much LP) has similar burn characteristics in the chamber as diesel fuel, which is why it is appealing for diesel Mfgr's to use the bones of their legacy products for these engines. It takes very little effort to do the conversion to make a reliable engine.
You are also not factoring in where it makes the power. There's a big difference between an ford modular platform with a chy-na turbo making 350hp at 5000rpm and this making 350 at 1900rpm with a 6000hr. warranty.
It also makes it easier to install in existing platforms. You will find that with companies that just build engines that basing all your variants on a few architectures makes a lot of sense when you have no control over the design of what it's gonna be installed into.
Chill fanboy. It was a joke.

How am I a fanboy? I mentioned that Cummins is doing exactly what everyone else it...

You replied with a wall of text to what I thought was a fairly obvious joke.

You claim your joking a lot around here when you talk out of your ass and get educated...
Cite an example.
Its almost often enough to begin to form a pattern of behavior...

Other than you just now and Splib from time to time I can't think of anyone else who does that.

Well theyve kind of maxed out what light duty trucks can do/handle as far as power and wieght. They are insane for the last few years and gone to axles and trans that are the biggest theyve ever been, and killing the trucks in general.
What indication is there that they’re done getting crazy? Ford rolled out a 500/1200 high output. Did Dodge say they gave up?

You replied with a wall of text to what I thought was a fairly obvious joke.
That is a wall of text? I expected more reading comprehension by someone from the land of 'hah-vahd'. Maybe it's the 'tism, but you spout off about these things all the time and vociferously defend your mouth droppings so I take your posts at face value much of the time.
Cite an example.
If you were worth the time I would. Everyone here who knows you and your post history knows what I'm talking about. Your animosity towards anything that's not niche jap and blue oval is plain, and you often talk out of your ass to slander everything else, just because. You've been called out by multiple people before you respond with "it was a joke". When you can get in their quick and fire off with more shit to deflect from your ignorance you won't claim humor, but if you are clearly wrong or are piled on enough you then claim to be joking. Anything to soothe your ego.
Other than you just now and Splib from time to time I can't think of anyone else who does that.
Does what? Claim something is a joke when by your post history it wasn't? Now, maybe you think you are just a 100% shit poster, but you are really only about a 50% shit poster and hide behind that when called out. For the record I wasn't calling you out as much as informing you and everyone else who reads your BS what the reality is. IBB may be around a while, don't need some next gen ashke someday basing their worldview on disinformation:flipoff2:

I'm a philanthropic teacher, take my free education of your ignorance with a smile:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I keep hearing rumors its coming but its release has been postponed a few times. Current rumor is 3rd or 4th quarter of 2024, not holding my breath.

What indication is there that they’re done getting crazy? Ford rolled out a 500/1200 high output. Did Dodge say they gave up?
nOthing particularly other than traditions and history of current drive trains.

When "hot" motors made 250hp off the line the d80 came out and the only thing bigger than that was mdt

Whe the sd 450/550 came out they brought the d110/135 which are built like a mdt/hdt diff.

Since then the only "new" ldt rear diffs are the aam 11.5 and what ever the current design of the sterling 10.5s.

Are they going to start stuffing d110 into 250/2500 trucks to keep up with the hp?

When "hot" motors made 250hp off the line the d80 came out and the only thing bigger than that was mdt

Whe the sd 450/550 came out they brought the d110/135 which are built like a mdt/hdt diff.

Since then the only "new" ldt rear diffs are the aam 11.5 and what ever the current design of the sterling 10.5s.

Are they going to start stuffing d110 into 250/2500 trucks to keep up with the hp?

They're using an M275 (11.6" ring gear)

I haven't heard of axles being the weak point on any of the newer stuff. Although I do agree, it's got to plateau at some point. Doesn't seem. Like ram wants to try and top Fords 500hp mark, but I have heard a rumor of a 7.8 or something duramax. No idea how true that is though.

They're using an M275 (11.6" ring gear)

I haven't heard of axles being the weak point on any of the newer stuff. Although I do agree, it's got to plateau at some point. Doesn't seem. Like ram wants to try and top Fords 500hp mark, but I have heard about an 8.3 duramax claiming up to 600hp, so who knows.

They're gonna use the throttle by wire to keep you from getting that HP in the low gears like they already do. The axles they have will be fine. They'll up the bearings so that the bearing life calculators the textbook engineers use spit out a number that's greater than the warranty period when the high input torque is also seen at the higher speeds.

Ford started using a Dana M275 rear in 2017 in STW diesel F350’s and F250’s with the heavy tow package. In 23 or 24 they started using something bigger in some SRW diesels. I don’t know the breakdown on what trucks get what axle. 6.8 gasoline trucks still use the 10.5 Sterling as far as I know.

Seems a lot of school buses are going back to gas

Is that part of the chode-pinion family of garbage they've been designing for fuel economy or does it have a respectable hypoid offset?
No idea. I didn’t realize I had one on my last truck until somewhere around a quarter million miles, though. So take that for what it’s worth.

Is that part of the chode-pinion family of garbage they've been designing for fuel economy or does it have a respectable hypoid offset?
I know the 275 had a recall due to the tubes crushing. Smaller wall thickness saves .0000001 mpg but makes the epa happy

Not anymore for IC, EPA killed those a year or two ago. Bluebird still offers a Ford gas engine though.

Back to? I don't think diesels have been across the board for a long time. I'm 36 and rode CNG busses in middle school. It's the perfect application for them. Short trips and the go back to the same place every day.

Top Back Refresh