What's new

555B Backhoe Trans Line Leak

BDK

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
San Diego, Kingman
I have been chasing transmission line leaks on my old 555B and think I'm down to one. It's leaking out of this fitting, which is on top of the trans and goes to or from the filter.
20240411_171235.jpg

I got a crescent wrench on it, because I don't have that size box end wrench. I got about a half turn out of it and it's down to a seep. It looks like a giant brake banjo bolt type fitting. Is that really what it is? If so, does it use a big copper washer because this one looks like it's steel?

I'll pull the bolt and get a new washer seal, and go buy a set of big wrenches. It takes a 1-3/8" wrench. Can't get a socket on it because the cross brace is about 3" above it.

Or, should I leave well enough alone and not fuck with it?

Or, should I get the proper box end wrench and crank it down goodintite?

Last edited:
My useless opinion one time goodntite, then still leaking pull it apart.

You may even be able to just clean it up and put back together.

Yes banjo bolt. New washers, I have also sanded flat the old ones if they in bad shape and you need to reuse.

Just a piece of wet or dry paper laying on a piece of glass or mirror works wonders for getting them to seal again

Cool. I was worried it was going to be a no longer made compression seal. I should be able to get the washers at the local hydraulic shop. I'll take it apart in the morning.

I'm glad I took the inspection plates off. I found out why I think the transmission blows the O-rings at the filter housing, and maybe why this is leaking. There is supposed to be a solenoid on a foot pedal to release trans pressure when shifting into 3rd and 4th while moving
Both times I've done it, the O-rings started leaking. The solenoid and wiring is missing, so it doesn't have a pressure dump valve amymore.

The handbrake is also gone, but both cables are still intact. If I decide I need a handbrake, and if I can find one, it wouldn't be too much trouble to hook it all back up.

I loosened the banjo bolt and there seems to be some side tension on it. It could turn into a huge mess if the hose fitting doesn't line up with the bolt hole because I can only get one hand at a time in there. I would need a second pair of hands, or remove the seat so I can lay on the floor, and I'm just not feeling it today. I'm going to get the correct wrench and tighten it back down. Backhoe is on currently vacant land I'm camping on in the RV. I don't need to turn a small leak into a big job right now.

I think it's leaking in a few more places. Steering for sure, at one of the fittings. It's as tight as it can get. Maybe out of the trans main seal. Fuel tank was leaking from a crack until I got that fixed.

As old as this well used tractor is, I expected some issues. So far they have been minor, and it can really dig. Previous owner had it for a short time. He painted it Ford yellow, cleaned it up, replaced all the fluids, filters and battery, and some of the hydraulic lines, then sold it to me. I've been using it to maintain the roads and pad, move some big rocks around, and will be trenching 1400' of water line soon. When that's done it will have paid for itself.

Got to love Arizona high desert climate. This old girl has been living outside for 40 years and has zero rust.

Edit: After I posted this, I realized I can easily pull the seat off the mount. That gives me plenty of room to get both hands in there. While I was loosening the bolt, I then realized that if I pull this apart, it's almost guaranteed that I will end up doing a lot more than just changing out a couple of washers.

I'm goin to stick to my tighten it back down and let it seep option. Maybe it will fix itself..Backhoe, heal thyself!!

Last edited:
I tightened it up and it leaked worse than before, so I unscrewed it get the washers out.

This is definitely NOT a banjo bolt. It appears to be a pressure regulator because it has a large spring that goes into the transmission. I can't remove the compression fitting holding it on because I don't have two 1" wrench, or even one for that matter, and a crescent wrench won't fit in the space. I guess I'll be heading into town in the morning for more tools. Maybe I can at least get it out of there to see what it actually is, and if I can repair it or have it repaired.
20240412_173104.jpg

20240412_173131.jpg

I got a wrench on the fittings but they are not moving. It's a fairly short piece of tube that goes down to the filter housing. I know I can pull it apart from that side, but there's not enough daylight left today and I don't want to get covered in UTF.

It's called a connector and is discontinued. I'll see if I can get it out of there in the morning. Maybe I can clean it up and get it back in there without the tubing attached, it will miraculously stop leaking.

Its 2.0-2.5 on this diagram
534628.png

Part # C5NN7N138A

Last edited:
After getting some horrible irate advice :flipoff2:, I managed to get it back together. It's not leaking in that one spot anymore.

I couldn't loosen the compression fitting on the tubing, so I removed the other end; filter, filter housing and mount. The spring and bolt in this "connector" are about 5" long, so I couldn't clear the cross member to get it out. I got some carb cleaner and rags, wiped everything clean as best I could while checking for damage, then carefully lined it up. It screwed down about 2/3 by hand, which I took as a good sign. I got it snugged, then crawled back under and reinstalled the filter, filter housing, mount...

Back up top, tightened it up, said a prayer to the old Ford tractor gods and fired it up. I let it run for 20 minutes and no leaks, at least from there. Drove it around in a few circles, backed up and parked it until the engine got to operating temp, still not leaking. I called it good, thanked the old Ford tractor gods and bolted down the inspection plates.

Few dozen more leaks to go, and I'll be all set.

Top Back Refresh