What's new

1993 AmTran Genesis Mid-Bus build.

got parts/tool storage addressed yesterday.

1682341692982.png

1682341745041.png

Dad found this massive 12v, dual compressor, r134a fridge/freezer up the road about an hour so we went and picked it up for a song.

1691971949746.png

It was cooled off when we picked it up and the freezer was still pretty damn cold this morning, 24hours later being unplugged and in the heat of the bus. Look how much freaking insulation the thing has! :eek:
1691972030084.png

So I was sitting out there last night trying to figure out WhereTF I'm gonna put this beast and decided it needed to be where the toolchest was. That turned into "well its going to be a PITA to be opening the door to the garage to get to the fridge and WTF is this damn wall and door doing here anyway making our bus look so damn small?". Fuck that wall and door. :laughing: First builder wasn't skeered about wasting lumber or nails thats for sure.. whooooly fawk.
1691972163548.png

1691972364565.png

Lot more open feeling now.
1691972385418.png

Had to redo the legs on the toolchest stand to flop to the pass side. Cut and welded that shit back up.

1691972344426.png

1691972420324.png

Not bad for a days work. Now gotta build a stand for the fridge to get it over the wheelwell.
:smokin:

It's crazy the difference just taking a wall out can make on the size of an RV. We just removed the oven from the wall/divider in the Airstream and it's crazy how much just that little bit opened things up!

Anyone got feedback on roof vent fans? I dont need fancy auto opening (auto rain closing would be nice though) or remotes or anything like that.. Gonna need to get a fan in the room with the fridge to pump some of that heat out.

I've got one of the Fantastic fans and one of the Ventlines in my RV. They look like they're both made in the same factory. They're both really good, pretty quiet, and draw out more air than you'd expect. Like, open more windows than you'd think you need to get proper draw. Quieter than the A/C, little louder than a typical box fan.

Anyone got feedback on roof vent fans? I dont need fancy auto opening (auto rain closing would be nice though) or remotes or anything like that.. Gonna need to get a fan in the room with the fridge to pump some of that heat out.
I have two maxxfans.

Pros, work in the rain, blow in and out, pretty quiet. Has auto mode that will kick fan on at a set temp.

Cons, board isn't moisture protected, easy fix with some silastic, but stupid. Condenses there in cold weather. Not set up for lithium voltage, over ~15v and it just freaks out and stops. Needs a reset.

One of mine is in a super low pressure zone on the roof, and rattles/rips it's way open over time. The other has never had an issue. Prob same for fantastic fan at that point tho.

I have two maxxfans.

Pros, work in the rain, blow in and out, pretty quiet. Has auto mode that will kick fan on at a set temp.

Cons, board isn't moisture protected, easy fix with some silastic, but stupid. Condenses there in cold weather. Not set up for lithium voltage, over ~15v and it just freaks out and stops. Needs a reset.

One of mine is in a super low pressure zone on the roof, and rattles/rips it's way open over time. The other has never had an issue. Prob same for fantastic fan at that point tho.
huck a dc-dc regulator at them.

huck a dc-dc regulator at them.
Yes that what a lot of folks do, mine only does it when its REALLY sunny and the batteries are pretty dead. I am AGM still.

One other thing, if you run them all the time the motors are known to wear out. Mine is a little squeaky, but its been 6-7 years now, of lots of use.

I’ve put Maxxfans in the last two rvs. This current one has a fantastic fan as well. Pretty erratic on whether it works, but it’s 12 years old, so…. When it works, though the fantastic fan moves some damned air. It’s under a Maxxair cover, so we can use it rain or not. When it dies, I’ll be very torn between a second Maxxfan and a replacement fantastic fan. I don’t use the auto features of my maxxfan, but could see the use case. I really really like the 10 speed steps on that, strangely.

Like has been said, open a lot of windows. The negative pressure from these pissed off fans is impressive. Taking a shit in my bathroom involves the fan kinda sucking the door shut, and continually pulling air across your feet and out the roof. You can’t stink up my bathroom with that fan over about 40%.

Only warning is to open the bathroom door before you flush. Otherwise, you’ll pull in some sewer fumes from the toilet when you flush.

I like how low-profile the maxxfans travel. Since the fantastic fan needs a maxair cover, it’s always high.

And yeah, the naming on this shit is super confusing.

I put the vortex fans (cheap ones) in all 3 spots on my toy hauler.
Used cheap PWM reversing switch on the two bedrooms.
They are awesome, compared to the little bullshit fans ot came with.
My poverty package RV doesn't have wall fan switches so I put fan pull switches on all of them and extended the vent knobs with some galvanized 3/16" rod from the hardware store.
This picture was max current, didn't matter if I blocked the inlet our outlet.

Heng's 90043-CR Replacement Vortex I Fan Amazon.com

BOJACK 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A 80W DC Motor Speed Controller (PWM) Speed Adjustable Reversible Switch 1203BB DC Motor Driver Reversing Amazon.com

20210626_143019.jpg

Taking a shit in my bathroom involves the fan kinda sucking the door shut, and continually pulling air across your feet and out the roof. You can’t stink up my bathroom with that fan over about 40%.
Same with the vortex, I have to prop the door open if I use that fan to help with ventilation (my kitchen/living area) doesn't have a vent.
It will blow the toilet paper out like a flag if it hangs too far off the roll.

maxxfan installed today. Gotta run some power up to it tomorrow. Spare me the heckling on the screw placement. Couple of them stripped out then my GAF went to 0 and i just started hammering them in. :flipoff2:

1693089159130.png

Fridge is currently cooling down. :smokin:

0FG. :flipoff2:

Fridge shelfs were just sitting on shitty little cabinet pins and were not gonna work for road travel.
Designed up a set of clips that retain the shelves and my buddy printed them up.

1693091117733.png

1693091097822.png

1693093241139.png

1693092587855.png

Last edited:
Dad humped out in the sun installing a battery isolator, cutoff switch, house battery, and fridge wiring.
1693094018318-png.png

So how excited does a fridge make you? It was pretty sweet in a box truck.
No more coolers.

How big is the back? I was looking at one of these to cut the back wall out of to make a toy hauler.

How big is the back? I was looking at one of these to cut the back wall out of to make a toy hauler.

Have to measure it up for you tonight. Mine is a bit higher than normal due to the roof raise.

But its been done 1000's of times.

if your toy is too big. flatbed it. :grinpimp:
1693316316103.png

1693316348253.png

1693316361231.png

meh. I dunno about that. Camper can get real small. If you can fit your toys inside why wouldn't you?
That is what I was thinking. Especially some of the places we get into here going to Gamblers and offroading. I need to fit a KRX or a XJ. I’ll lower the XJ or winch down the suspension just to be able to not tow a trailer, sometimes.

Last edited:
Have loaded xj buggy into back of a bus before.
You ain't fitting it inside the shell.
Slimer was flatbedded, with part of the roof shell left as an awning.
Door in the rear opened to the flat bed like a porch.
Fun fact, you can grill on the flat bed at highway speeds under the awning....

Top Back Refresh