What's new

1993 AmTran Genesis Mid-Bus build.

Sceep

🖕___ 😆___ 🖕
Member Number
Loc
Central NM
Picked up a new bus this past weekend. A lot of it has been built out already. We're likely not going to do too much right away other than use it. Get accustomed to the new size, figure out where some missing components need to live, etc. We will be adding awnings, our BBQ, and swapping the 22.5's for 24.5's almost immediately though. It has a 128k miles on the International DT360 and Allison AT545.

1661264628504.png

1661264647094.png

1661264673286.png

1661264688689.png

1661264713298.png

1661264744234.png

Last edited:
What is the overall length? The overhang looks really short, should be nice for towing but it seems like it might struggle for traction in dirt or snow (not that snow is much of an issue for you). Are the 24.5s for a higher cruising speed? Looks like a nice upgrade from your old bus!

Pete

What is the overall length? The overhang looks really short, should be nice for towing but it seems like it might struggle for traction in dirt or snow (not that snow is much of an issue for you). Are the 24.5s for a higher cruising speed? Looks like a nice upgrade from your old bus!

Pete
28ish overall.
We get enough snow that dad and I both own plows. House is at 7k'.:laughing: Typically the mud on my road will keep the thing from being out in the snow though.
Cruising it home we were pushing 66mph@ 2800rpm. Would like to get that down to around 2500 to be in the powerband as well as have a little extra to run faster if wanted. We already have the 24.5's in the barn so its free to put em on and try em out. :smokin:

Are the current tires 11r22.5? I'm gonna assume so looking at the pics. So an 11r24.5 will bring your rpms down about 250rpm.

Just saying--you can test out the new speed and gearing stuff by just swapping the rears to the 24's. This thing needs some more A-team lean on it.

Also—how much do you weigh, OP? If you were the size of, say, a normal school bus driver, you might be able to do a stoppie in that thing.

Are the current tires 11r22.5? I'm gonna assume so looking at the pics. So an 11r24.5 will bring your rpms down about 250rpm.
Yes, current are 11r22.5. No go on the 24.5's. Drove over to dads Sat with full intentions of putting them on. They are some low profile 24.5's. Only 2" larger in circumference. Not worth the effort to install them.

Busy weekend. Have a event in two weeks and am pretty much tied up next weekend so this was a thrash fest. Dad crawled around the thing and ended up putting in a full tube of grease. Every zerk took a bunch. Got most of the place swept/blown out and started cleaning windows and the dash. Tore the cluster apart because it was all full of dust and crud. Got the lift working but has a hydro cyl that is leaking badly. Ripped that oout to see if we can get it repaired this week. Installed some RV mirrors that dad had because the mirrors that were on there SUCKED.
Got our snowboard bars installed. Had to widen the BBQ rack. Got that done, repainted and BBQ installed.
Got the awning shortened so it fit. What a PITA that was. Apparently we couldnt math yesterday. Ended up having to cut the whole damn thing twice to get it to fit. When we unrolled it we discovered that the canvas couldn't be a more perfect color/match. Not bad for a free awning.

1661779332954.png

1661779358353.png

1661779387136.png

Hydraulics on the handi lift worked, but cylinder was puking fluid everywhere. Dad sourced a rebuild kit today and went to work. I picked the rebuilt cyl up after work and slammed it back together

Ready to pick things up and put things down. :smokin:
IMG_20220829_183316_961.jpg
IMG_20220829_183248_933.jpg

Hydraulics on the handi lift worked, but cylinder was puking fluid everywhere. Dad sourced a rebuild kit today and went to work. I picked the rebuilt cyl up after work and slammed it back together

Ready to pick things up and put things down. :smokin:
IMG_20220829_183316_961.jpg
IMG_20220829_183248_933.jpg
build a little flip out extension and you have a bike elevator...

First weekend camp/comp in the books.
Roof leaks right on my bed in heavy rain.
The handi-lift is likely going to marketplace as soon as we design/fab a new ramp system.
Everyone in the club dubbed it the prison inmate bus. (you nailed it SLOWPOKE693 :laughing: ).
The futons SUCK to sleep on.
Need bug screens on some windows/roof vent.
Need to organize garage space better.
Need better chair storage.
Need to mount bbq tank.

All in all a successful first run.

1663010698992.png

leaking roof, get some of that wide butyl tape shit to keep on hand for just that emergency. self leveling sealant for rv s is the cats meow for sealing, costs more than standard caulking though. :beer::beer:

The handi-lift is likely going to marketplace as soon as we design/fab a new ramp system.
Feels slow and unnecessary compared to just pushing/riding up a ramp, or?
I thought that would be pretty cool for loading, although time consuming.

Tropi-cool for the roof leaks. Paint the whole thing.

Eternabond or similar for emergency leak repair.

So when does it get a Eagle on the hood. I read Trans Am every time I glance at the thread :homer::flipoff2:

Glad I'm not the only one. I agree, it needs a screaming chicken on the front. :flipoff2:

I was like who tf is using a trans-am as a tow rig? But then I remembered the lifted corvette 4x4 build and was like well lets see it.
Cool build man, instead of 24.5's would this pig fit 385's all the way around? Be bit taller and give more flotation + one spare would fit front or rear if you can find the right spacing for wheels. Also I have to say the proportions make this thing look so odd for some reason, like I have seen short conventional nose buses but never a shorter flat nose.

Got the roof patched up. There was a vent up there to let heat out. Had a bunch of butyl tape to seal it up, everywhere but the screw holes....:laughing:

Decided to delete the vent. We always have the hatch open for ventilation in the summer, and when we're camping in the winter, I don't want my heat escaping.

1663592047347.png

1663592085192.png

Crammed it full of insulation and added a piece of cardboard inside the grille to keep it from sprinkling down on the beds.

1663592158809.png

1663592170799.png

Fascinating weekend project, I know. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh