What's new

YouTube video feedback please and thank you

ProjectTwin

Member Number
This is an unlisted video I uploaded to get feedback from guys that have done this crap. This is the first half of the next Audi install video.

For you guys that haven't, what do you think?

What's good? What's bad?

Oh, and do a shot every time I say "um..."

when you are fast forwarding, maybe narrate?? just a few words, maybe a joke?

i would of liked for you to show the stuffing into that space..

incidentally, the first few times I thought you were saying mineral oil.. instead of mineral wool.. I'm not positive it is wool..

Stop using so many brand names, unless they are paying you.

I'm talking about the product I'm installing. :laughing: They're not paying me, but they DID provide the product free to the owner of the car. When I use materials I talk about the materials I'm using and the benefits of using them. The whole idea behind my videos is to get into the "how and why" of what I'm doing.

There are a lot of eyes on this build because shit...a stealth install with a 24" subwoofer is unheard of. They recognized it, reached out, and sent a shitload of material for the car. When they asked what I needed they actually questioned the amount of material I was using. Especially when I requested a 2nd shipment. :laughing:

Hell, Rockwool isn't paying me, didn't provide anything (I'm sure they don't know about the damned build) but by specifically stating what I'm using it allows people to know what to use. That's Rockwool Safe n' Sound, BTW. :flipoff2:

Reality is that Dynamat is the "Band-Aid" term for sound deadener. Since Dynamat and Second Skin are competing companies in the market, I made sure to use Damplifier Pro when discussing the deadener instead of Dynamat.

I only watch videos to see people doing dumb shit. Rev limiters, cliffs, and basically anything where helmet is recomended (and tested). I was out after the first 10 seconds.

I'm talking about the product I'm installing. :laughing: They're not paying me, but they DID provide the product free to the owner of the car. When I use materials I talk about the materials I'm using and the benefits of using them. The whole idea behind my videos is to get into the "how and why" of what I'm doing.

There are a lot of eyes on this build because shit...a stealth install with a 24" subwoofer is unheard of. They recognized it, reached out, and sent a shitload of material for the car. When they asked what I needed they actually questioned the amount of material I was using. Especially when I requested a 2nd shipment. :laughing:

Hell, Rockwool isn't paying me, didn't provide anything (I'm sure they don't know about the damned build) but by specifically stating what I'm using it allows people to know what to use. That's Rockwool Safe n' Sound, BTW. :flipoff2:

Reality is that Dynamat is the "Band-Aid" term for sound deadener. Since Dynamat and Second Skin are competing companies in the market, I made sure to use Damplifier Pro when discussing the deadener instead of Dynamat.

Guess you don't need any feedback then.

when you are fast forwarding, maybe narrate?? just a few words, maybe a joke?

i would of liked for you to show the stuffing into that space..

incidentally, the first few times I thought you were saying mineral oil.. instead of mineral wool.. I'm not positive it is wool..

That's something I need to work on. Something during the FF bits. Even if it's shitty free music. I honestly don't put much time into these videos.

I showed the process of stuffing mineral wool into the empty cavities in the first sound deadening video. That's what led to the explanation in this video

First video:

I'm convinced I have a speech issue. :laughing: When I was talking about the foam Audi injected into the A pillars I wanted to say "buffeting" in regard to the wind noise but in the video I hear "buffing". I may re-shoot that bit.

I also noticed I say "um" a tad too often. For someone that was an instructor in both the military and as a civilian I was surprised to see me doing that. Big difference in teaching and creating content as you go without multiple takes.

Personally I find it interesting, I have a Dodge pickup with a 440 with a 4 inch exhaust let's just say it is loud inside I have been learning how to quiten the noise. As for products you use how else do we learn what a pro uses, while the name of the crap used on the doors excapes me if and when I start on the above mentioned Dodge I'll go back and check out that video!
Keep up the good work and tell the internet heros to take a hike

I only watch videos to see people doing dumb shit. Rev limiters, cliffs, and basically anything where helmet is recomended (and tested). I was out after the first 10 seconds.

You may like one of the projects I'll be working on late this year. Involves a Scion xB and a V8. :laughing:

what I do on my youtube videos and have gotten good feedback is during fast forward sections to definetely put music. If I'm not talking it's showing something and fast forward always gets music.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj3..._cNiyQXH_K-PfQ

Free music chosen from youtube audio library here. What I do is pick a tempo and beat type of music and kind of go with that for the entire thing. WIll choose a few different songs but they all sound like they go together. Not a county than rap etc.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...XH_K-PfQ/music

the initial video in this thread was nice and short..

many many years ago, youtube wouldnt let you upload movies longer than 10 minutes.. and people said that was long enough anyways.. something about people's attention spans..

if the other video was 10 or so, Id watch it.. but not 30 minutes.. thats kinda long in my opinion

edit: its kinda like a long message in a thread... I aint reading them (usually), Id just ask for cliff notes.. like the right length of a girls mini-skirt.. long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep in interesting...

Last edited:
The length is also a big thing. I'm doing my new 1968 F250 preruner build. I could make and edit the video to be 45 min long. BUT i have learned more shorter 10 or even 5 min videos is much better. Do a part 1 2 3 4 etc. Title them with what you're doing in them and throw the link to last video in description. My longer videos 15min or so you can look at the analytics of them and see how long people watch and where they leave the video to learn where your viewers get distracted by a squirrel and go to something else. The video's that I make that are a bit longer have more talking/details about how to do something which people like. Nobody likes watching a video and not learning anything from it.

Example this is one of my videos 15 min long and the part where I describe centering the axle and such was the most watched part. You can see the viewers watch time on youtube studio channel analytics.

video analytics irate.png

You do awesome work. :smokin: Thank you for sharing.

Vice Grip Garage, Vehcor, Andrew Camarata (occasionally), Tom's Turbo Garage, and Zip Ties N Bias Plies are all channels with one person that produce longer length vehicle related content that can hold my attention all the way through. Maybe review a couple from each and see if anything they do could be applicable for you.

Watched while doing dishes, You're soft spoken, but you speak well. I heard wool not oil but I read first watched second. I enjoy your vids, I like details and specifics when appropriate, also enjoy the stupid side of youtube. You seem to be the teach explain and share information side, you wont get the entertainment viewers, you will get the nerds that geek out on all the unseen stuff in car audio. if you add music to the FF parts please check the volume. hate having to adjust the volume up and down.

:beer:

About the brand names I say in my new videos that I'll put what products I use and descriptions below so shorten the spoken parts a little vit

The length is also a big thing. I'm doing my new 1968 F250 preruner build. I could make and edit the video to be 45 min long. BUT i have learned more shorter 10 or even 5 min videos is much better. Do a part 1 2 3 4 etc. Title them with what you're doing in them and throw the link to last video in description. My longer videos 15min or so you can look at the analytics of them and see how long people watch and where they leave the video to learn where your viewers get distracted by a squirrel and go to something else. The video's that I make that are a bit longer have more talking/details about how to do something which people like. Nobody likes watching a video and not learning anything from it.

This is good advice.

First off, not trying to argue with anyone, just explain the how/why of what I'm doing...

the initial video in this thread was nice and short..

many many years ago, youtube wouldnt let you upload movies longer than 10 minutes.. and people said that was long enough anyways.. something about people's attention spans..

if the other video was 10 or so, Id watch it.. but not 30 minutes.. thats kinda long in my opinion

edit: its kinda like a long message in a thread... I aint reading them (usually), Id just ask for cliff notes.. like the right length of a girls mini-skirt.. long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep in interesting...

Regarding video length...I've found that it really doesn't matter if the video is 57 seconds long or 36 minutes long. People STILL skip through the video.

Seems most people want instant gratification these days. They don't care about how to get to the end result, they just want to see the end result. Fact is that the process of removing that cheap, asphalt based deadener is NOT a quick process. I wanted to show that is a long, tedious, messy process to remove the cheap shit in an effort to keep folks from buying it.

Remember the movie 13 Hours? It was intentionally long at 2hrs 24 minutes to give a better sense of just how long those guys were left to fend for themselves with no support. Fun Fact: the original cut of that movie was four hours long.

If people have the attention span of a ferret on acid, I can't help that. For those that want to watch and learn...I have info that can be useful.

With my videos I'm attempting to teach people how to do shit properly. This car is a perfect example. The owner bought it used. The previous owner was also in the car audio community. He was active in the forums and people knew the car. They all watched the build and updates, but didn't pay attention to or question what was actually happening with how (in the last video and this one) he deadened the doors and the fact that he made them to where they couldn't be serviced internally without destroying the material he applied to the doors. A lot of people treat their doors that way and the reason they do so it because it's what they know. They've always seen it done like that. They don't know that you can do it a different way, get the same result, and have the car just as easily serviceable as it was when it left the factory.

In a competitive sound quality car it's the stuff you can't see that makes a difference. Since this is a stealth build you won't see ANY of the work I'm doing to this car unless I show it in video. Aside from an aftermarket radio, it will look stock. In the previous video actually mentioned the fact that people focus/spend more money on the wow factor over the hidden aspect of the install like sound treatment/control.

I've said in past videos that I tend to go with longer videos for a reason. That reason is that people learn in different ways. Some folks can simply see the start of a project, see the end result, and infer how I got from A to B. These people usually have a good/decent background in the topic and may be watching to see if there's a tip or something new. These people are most likely to skip sections.

Other folks need to see the process happen to understand how to get from A to B. They have some knowledge, but only in a general sense. Whether they're the type that learn with hands-on instruction or simply by watching...that content is also there. They'll watch more than the first group.

Then there's the 3rd type. Folks that don't have a prior knowledge base on the topic and need to see the process happen and have it explained along the way. These folks usually need to see the process multiple times. This group will watch the entire video and learn.

You do awesome work. :smokin: Thank you for sharing.

Vice Grip Garage, Vehcor, Andrew Camarata (occasionally), Tom's Turbo Garage, and Zip Ties N Bias Plies are all channels with one person that produce longer length vehicle related content that can hold my attention all the way through. Maybe review a couple from each and see if anything they do could be applicable for you.

I watch VGG, will have to check out the others.

Watched while doing dishes, You're soft spoken, but you speak well. I heard wool not oil but I read first watched second. I enjoy your vids, I like details and specifics when appropriate, also enjoy the stupid side of youtube. You seem to be the teach explain and share information side, you wont get the entertainment viewers, you will get the nerds that geek out on all the unseen stuff in car audio. if you add music to the FF parts please check the volume. hate having to adjust the volume up and down.

:beer:

I have a lav mic that I've been using. In the last video (Part 1) the mic died and I had no idea. I didn't find out until I had imported the video and was editing. I tried to adjust audio levels so they were somewhat consistent, but I could only do so much before the audio started clipping.

That way he can answer 8 million questions about what product he is using.

It's funny that we're talking about people skipping through and the mention of brands/products I'm using.

Skip through? You're still going to hear the brand/product. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh