What's new

You guys watching "I'll Be Gone In the Dark"?

Roc Doc

2A SNBI
Member Number
Loc
Way out West.
It's a six part documentary on HBO. Unfortunately the author died in 2016 at age 46 of an accidental overdose, (she had a shit load of chemicals in her at her time of death).

A six-part documentary series based on the book of the same name, I’ll Be Gone In The Dark explores writer Michelle McNamara’s investigation into the dark world of the violent predator she dubbed "The Golden State Killer."

McNamara lived a quiet life as a writer, mother and wife, preferring to stay on the periphery of the Hollywood world of her comedian husband Patton Oswalt. But every night, as her family slept, she indulged her obsession with unsolved cases, beginning her investigation into the man who terrorized California in the 1970s and 80s and is responsible for 50 home-invasion rapes and 12 murders.

Directed by Academy Award nominee and Emmy-winning director Liz Garbus (HBO’s Who Killed Garrett Phillips, Nothing Left Unsaid: Gloria Vanderbilt & Anderson Cooper) and produced by Elizabeth Wolff, Kate Barry, Myles Kane and Josh Koury, the series is a detective story told in McNamara’s own words, through exclusive original recordings and excerpts from her book read by actor Amy Ryan. Drawing on extensive archival footage and police files as well as exclusive new interviews with detectives, survivors and family members of the killer, the series weaves together a picture of a complex and flawed investigation that challenged police for decades.

The series is also a journey into the soul of McNamara, whose True Crime Diaries blog and years of relentless determination for justice for the victims helped keep the case alive and in the public eye, and who tragically died of an accidental overdose while writing her book. A meditation on obsession and loss, I’ll Be Gone In The Dark chronicles the unrelenting path of a mysterious killer and the fierce determination of one woman to bring the case to light.
]

His first murder victim, (that they know of), was the father of one of my classmates in Visalia, CA. He was a professor at the local JC and by all accounts a really sweet human, and he surprised the burgler trying to rape his daughter. He shot Claude Snelling, and in trying to run away from the scene, shot out the maglight of a cop trying to catch him. After that, he started raping women and girls in the east part of Sacramento, (Rancho Cordova mostly), and then moved on to the Bay Area, then steadily South and eventually into Orange County. They know of at least 50 rapes and 10 murders, this POS got away with it for near 40 years. He was an ex-cop from a neighboring town, Exeter.

I hope he gets raped to death in prison.

I don't have HBO & try not to watch much TV, so I'm no help there :homer:

I generally prefer a quick death for convicted predators, to minimize costs and because "dead is dead";

however,

I 100% agree that this shitbag deserves all the terror and suffering he can endure on his way to room temperature :mad3:

I just can’t wrap my head around people like this guy.

A couple weekends ago we went on a sxs ride with a group of friends. We were bar-hopping and at the end of the night we were all pretty full and I ended up saying something stupid. Nothing real terrible or hurtful to anyone, but I let something slip that I shouldn’t have in front of a certain person that my BIL wanted kept a secret for a few months yet. That bothered me for days. As in I lost sleep over it. Over something that minor.

How the fuck do guys like this rape 50 people and kill 10 and just keep on living like nothing happened? I let it slip that my BIL is looking at buying a certain piece of land and feel like a worthless asshole for a week. :confused:

I just can’t wrap my head around people like this guy.

A couple weekends ago we went on a sxs ride with a group of friends. We were bar-hopping and at the end of the night we were all pretty full and I ended up saying something stupid. Nothing real terrible or hurtful to anyone, but I let something slip that I shouldn’t have in front of a certain person that my BIL wanted kept a secret for a few months yet. That bothered me for days. As in I lost sleep over it. Over something that minor.

How the fuck do guys like this rape 50 people and kill 10 and just keep on living like nothing happened? I let it slip that my BIL is looking at buying a certain piece of land and feel like a worthless asshole for a week. :confused:

That's the thing, they DON'T have a conscious. They literally don't feel compassion, or guilt or responsibility for their actions. His defense was that he couldn't control the monster inside him, and maybe that's true. I have no personal frame of reference to anything he did or potentially thought, people like him are just straight broken. What's so scary is that a lot of these serial killers are highly intelligent and cliche or not, use their intelligence for evil, and some appear as an average personality or even charming, (Like Ted Bundy). Joe DeAngelo was known as a neighborhood weirdo and angry old man, but he still lived a normal life in outward appearances while in Citrus Heights, (where I moved to from Visalia, :eek:).

The documentary is based on the book she wrote and much of the story is about her and her quest to find the killer. She discovered an online forum of amateur dicks, and she lurked until she found a few that were squared away, and they became internet friends and collaborated. It seems now with DNA and the www and all the modern techniques that no one should get away with murder or rape anymore, but it still happens.

His first murder victim, (that they know of), was the father of one of my classmates in Visalia, CA. He was a professor at the local JC and by all accounts a really sweet human, and he surprised the burgler trying to rape his daughter. He shot Claude Snelling, and in trying to run away from the scene, shot out the maglight of a cop trying to catch him. After that, he started raping women and girls in the east part of Sacramento, (Rancho Cordova mostly), and then moved on to the Bay Area, then steadily South and eventually into Orange County. They know of at least 50 rapes and 10 murders, this POS got away with it for near 40 years. He was an ex-cop from a neighboring town, Exeter.

Thats some small world stuff. Have a good friend went to school with Smelling. Was telling me about it when they finally caught this guy

That's the thing, they DON'T have a conscious. They literally don't feel compassion, or guilt or responsibility for their actions. His defense was that he couldn't control the monster inside him, and maybe that's true. I have no personal frame of reference to anything he did or potentially thought, people like him are just straight broken. What's so scary is that a lot of these serial killers are highly intelligent and cliche or not, use their intelligence for evil, and some appear as an average personality or even charming, (Like Ted Bundy). Joe DeAngelo was known as a neighborhood weirdo and angry old man, but he still lived a normal life in outward appearances while in Citrus Heights, (where I moved to from Visalia, :eek:).

The documentary is based on the book she wrote and much of the story is about her and her quest to find the killer. She discovered an online forum of amateur dicks, and she lurked until she found a few that were squared away, and they became internet friends and collaborated. It seems now with DNA and the www and all the modern techniques that no one should get away with murder or rape anymore, but it still happens.

I've listened to a lot of podcasts about serial killers, and their stories are always fascinating. The fact that they blend in so well is mind blowing. It also always makes me wonder how many others in their families share these traits and are able control their urges or are also committing similar crimes.

I might have to add her book to my Kindle.

I've listened to a lot of podcasts about serial killers, and their stories are always fascinating. The fact that they blend in so well is mind blowing. It also always makes me wonder how many others in their families share these traits and are able control their urges or are also committing similar crimes.

I might have to add her book to my Kindle.

I worked several homicide detective conferences and became very interested in investigations, and the processes they go through to catch these guys. The whole profiling thing is real, and sometimes it bites them in the ass, like with the Grimm Sleeper. LA cops just assumed the killer was a white man, because black serial killers were virtually unknown, but the black community of course cried racism because they couldn't catch the killer of all these fine young black women< (ho's). But they also wouldn't cooperate with police so it took advancements in DNA to finally catch old Lonnie. I was fascinated as it was being told. It takes a special kind of human to catch these perps, and it takes a huge toll on their emotional well being.

Since the author died of an OD, (Fentanyl, amoungst other compounds), it makes me wonder if she was self medicating to escape all this knowledge of the darkest of humans.

Trying to watch the first episode and it’s kinda slow and I hate Patton Oswalt. (Honestly the most shocking part so far is that Patton Oswalt is straight)

Eh but I think that's an oversimplification. It seems to me that most of these sadistic killers I hear about DO know it's wrong, and sometimes even feel bad about it.

The thing is, they like doing bad and being wrong. They get off on it. There are some cold-blooded absolutely sociopathic killers out there, but I think they are a minority.

Most of them are fully empathetic to their victims and get off on it.

Like the toolbox killers. They made recordings of their killings and one of those tapes is what they use for training FBI investigators. Scott Glenn heard less than a minute of it to prepare for Silence of the Lambs, and he says he wished he didn't.

I read a transcript of the fucking tape and I wish I hadn't. There is also some audio of the tape being played at the trial, as people get up and leave the fucking courtroom because the audio tape is just too fucking much, so you get the door open and you can hear that girl screaming.

When they played that tape which drove people from the room, the one of the pair that was on trial smiled and laughed. He knows he was causing pain and horror. She begged him to kill her by the end, which he did by wrapping a wire coathanger around her neck and twisting it closed with vice-grips. Imagine the pain of that, tearing her neck skin up, but it was a sweet mercy after what they had done to her with a hammer and vice-grips earlier.

Eh but I think that's an oversimplification. It seems to me that most of these sadistic killers I hear about DO know it's wrong, and sometimes even feel bad about it.

The thing is, they like doing bad and being wrong. They get off on it. There are some cold-blooded absolutely sociopathic killers out there, but I think they are a minority.

Most of them are fully empathetic to their victims and get off on it.

Yeah, there are a certain amount of them that do it BECAUSE of the pain they're causing, but there are others that just don't give a shit what damage they cause, they're just satisfying their urges.

and this is why i can never get on board with total abolition of the government

golden state killer, also known as "The Original Night Stalker"

makes for some interesting water cooler conversation talking to people who don't know the history of the term and work at a place created in the 80's and named after generalized serial killers who were on the loose at the time.

and this is why i can never get on board with total abolition of the government

golden state killer, also known as "The Original Night Stalker"

makes for some interesting water cooler conversation talking to people who don't know the history of the term and work at a place created in the 80's and named after generalized serial killers who were on the loose at the time.

This guy was the Visalia Ransaker first, then the East Side Rapist, then The Original Night Stalker. Took them a while to figure out he was all three.

Top Back Refresh