What's new

You get what you pay for

Poopyface

Member Number
Share a purchase where going the cheaper route bit you in the ass and you ended up buying the better ($$) product anyways.

The AC in the living room. Picked up a cheap $110 5k btu from walmart. It struggled and was designed so poorly that it was a welcome mat for any size bug to get in. Suffered with it for two months till the lady gave up and spent $300 on the big one. Very cold and no bugs.

:homer:

Ill bite. There was a time where 90% of the people in America bought cheap Chinese garbage, a whole bunch of American manufacturers moved over seas, millions of people lost their jobs, and now anything of quality is rare and expense. That was a painful lesson.

(Untitled)

I’ll start by saying ive had good luck with cheap tires most of the time. I bought a set of kentai trail hogs in 35x12.50-17 for my dually when I had it and I was strapped for cash. I continued to chase a driveline vibration for over a year. I even bought an aluminum one piece drive shaft and a set of centramatic balencers. I had those tires balanced at the dealership twice and I still couldnt figure out the vibration. I finally took the truck to a buddys shop and had him spin those tires on his machine. Two of the 6 were out of round. I bought a set of nittos and the truck was smooth as glass up over 100mph.

First one that comes to mind is the Toyota elocker I put in my 4runner years ago. An ARB seemed like a ridiculous amount of money at the time, and did not like the Detroit I had in it. Plus the elocker was "better" because if something failed, I could manually lock it. It worked OK for half a year or so, then quit locking or unlocking, spent another year manually locking or unlocking it. Finally got sick of that, left it locked for a bit, then proceeded to break the weak ass side gear on a trail run.

Didn't directly replace it with an ARB, until I did 60s at least. But it was a total waste of money.

First one that comes to mind is the Toyota elocker I put in my 4runner years ago. An ARB seemed like a ridiculous amount of money at the time, and did not like the Detroit I had in it. Plus the elocker was "better" because if something failed, I could manually lock it. It worked OK for half a year or so, then quit locking or unlocking, spent another year manually locking or unlocking it. Finally got sick of that, left it locked for a bit, then proceeded to break the weak ass side gear on a trail run.

Didn't directly replace it with an ARB, until I did 60s at least. But it was a total waste of money.

The limit switches get a tiny amount of corrosion and they quit working. All you have to do is clean take the actuator apart and clean and grease. It’s a 20 minute job if you’re not a retard. We revived several e lockers doing that. We paid $150 to $200 each for a total of 3 elockers that people thought we scrap.

The limit switches get a tiny amount of corrosion and they quit working. All you have to do is clean take the actuator apart and clean and grease. It’s a 20 minute job if you’re not a retard. We revived several e lockers doing that. We paid $150 to $200 each for a total of 3 elockers that people thought we scrap.

That fixes the weak ass side gears that break on 35s too! :rolleyes::flipoff2:

I have one of those $100 5k btu window shakers. Works fine for a 100sq ft room like it says on the box.

My $500 3 ton package unit a/c I installed works a lot better though. :flipoff2:

I was being a jew and bought a $100 shower surround cause I didn't want to mess with tile. Spent $100 on glue.

Got a billion micro cracks in it after a week. I haven't fixed it yet, but I should've just done tile to begin with. :homer:

Share a purchase where going the cheaper route bit you in the ass and you ended up buying the better ($$) product anyways.

The AC in the living room. Picked up a cheap $110 5k btu from walmart. It struggled and was designed so poorly that it was a welcome mat for any size bug to get in. Suffered with it for two months till the lady gave up and spent $300 on the big one. Very cold and no bugs.

:homer:

I buy those 5k btu ones and they kick ass. I got one from Aldi's of all places ($65!) and one from my now local hardware store ($115, small town but hey you need to keep the local in biz). I've never had a problem. Walmart takes any product they sell and has the manuf. go over them to make them cheaper. That was not possible with those things. They are an old GE design I think, they are mostly all the same. Don't get the ones with the electronic controls, just the two knobs and mechanical thermostat. They are foolproof. Mine cools my entire 2-bdr apartment with good sized living room, even when I'm cooking in the middle of the day. Keeping them clean is essential of course, I pour some soapy water though it about halfway thru summer then at the end before storage. Keep the pollen out of it for August. But that shouldn't have been uyour problem, probably just the Walmart thing.

That's what you get :flipoff2:

Over a decade ago I bought a cheaper converter for my 4l80e swapped DD Silverado. Was as supposed to be a 2800 stall behind a cam/bolt on 5.3 ended up brake stalling to around 3600 and flashing to 4200+ when you stabbed the gas.

it was a ton of fun, very quick, and would spin the tires on demand but it cooked a trans because i would still tow with it (9.5” single disc converter) and was too cheap to buy a trans temp gauge.

A few rebuilds and a few billet converters later I understood what quality is it and cheaping out on essential parts isn’t worth it.

I’ll start by saying ive had good luck with cheap tires most of the time. I bought a set of kentai trail hogs in 35x12.50-17 for my dually when I had it and I was strapped for cash. I continued to chase a driveline vibration for over a year. I even bought an aluminum one piece drive shaft and a set of centramatic balencers. I had those tires balanced at the dealership twice and I still couldnt figure out the vibration. I finally took the truck to a buddys shop and had him spin those tires on his machine. Two of the 6 were out of round. I bought a set of nittos and the truck was smooth as glass up over 100mph.

Strapped for cash...

35s on dually brodozer...

I feel like you made poor life choices :flipoff2:

Strapped for cash...

35s on dually brodozer...

I feel like you made poor life choices :flipoff2:

I had a friend trade his 2 year old F250 in on a new one because he couldn't afford new tires. He told me the payment went down $25!

Al ost anything I’ve ever bought from harbor freight.
HF MiG welder. When it bit the dust I stepped up to a Miller 175
HF auto darkening helmet. Trashed it for an Esab Sentinel
HF chop saw. Trashed it for a Dewalt.
HF 4.5” grinders. Now running Dewalts
HF drill press is getting real close to getting tossed out the door if the fucking chuck drops out on me one more time.

Long long ago I realized buying cheap was just a waste of money because I always ended up replacing it with the better one later. The last decade or so, I've always bought decent quality stuff...now I won't go spend snap on money for a tool I'm only going to use once, but I also won't buy the princess auto (harbor freight) equivalent either.

It's been a long while since I've had a $100+ purchase that was total garbage.

Used 9" ARB I could never get to work right. Said fawk it and bought a tru-high 9 with ARB.:eek:

Chineseco vise (made by shoeless 9-year-old sweatshop workers) snapped under stress it should have withstood.

Replaced with cast steel vise that should outlive me by (who gives a shit how long?) - lifetime tool, GTG :smokin:

. . . cheap piece of shit Chinese vise I broke because it looked like a decent vise.
Replaced with Ridgid brand vise made by Peddinghaus in Germany.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Cut rate windshield company. Payed out of pocket instead of insurance. Went with the cheapest company who would come to my house.

not only did it leak like a mother fucker after it was all done, but I left my wallet in the bed of the truck that came out to do it. It had 600 bucks cash in it. The driver of the truck got a dui the day he did my winshield. Truck got impounded and the impound yard said they "didn't see my wallet in the bed of the truck" when I called...

I got fucked through and through.

Cut rate windshield company. Payed out of pocket instead of insurance. Went with the cheapest company who would come to my house.

not only did it leak like a mother fucker after it was all done, but I left my wallet in the bed of the truck that came out to do it. It had 600 bucks cash in it. The driver of the truck got a dui the day he did my winshield. Truck got impounded and the impound yard said they "didn't see my wallet in the bed of the truck" when I called...

That's painful to even read. :mad3:

Who the eff leaves their wallet anywhere but their pocket or designated place at home? Let alone some random glass guy's truck? That's your own fault, zero sympathy.

Used to wear $50 boots and scoff at the idea of $200+ boots, got less than a year out of em and my feet and knees always hurt at the end of the day. Then I finally ponied up for a $150 set of boots and didn't realize how comfortable I could be, nevermind getting 3-4-5 years out of a pair.

Who the eff leaves their wallet anywhere but their pocket or designated place at home? Let alone some random glass guy's truck? That's your own fault, zero sympathy.

Pulled my wallet out to give him my cc. He had the old school machine that does an imprint on transparent paper (this was 2005). The entire transaction took place in my driveway in and around his truck.

I'm aware it's my own fault, nor was I expecting sympathy. Thought this was a thread about getting screwed over...?

Pulled my wallet out to give him my cc. He had the old school machine that does an imprint on transparent paper (this was 2005). The entire transaction took place in my driveway in and around his truck.

I'm aware it's my own fault, nor was I expecting sympathy. Thought this was a thread about getting screwed over...?

Fuck that I have sympathy. That can happen to anyone and it's what I figured happened.

Anyone claiming they've never misplaced their wallet is either senile or lying.

Hold the wallet in your hand or put it back in the pocket...

But lol fair enough, you got screwed good :flipoff2:

Fuck that I have sympathy. That can happen to anyone and it's what I figured happened.

Hahah ONCE, only once in my entire life...and I left it in it's normal spot at home when I went back to work after lunch so it wasn't even a bad misplaced, more so forgotten.

I've never misplaced my wallet. Not senile, not lying. You're wrong (again).

You know better than to make absolute statements :homer:

. . . well, your "superior intellect" personality knows that :laughing:

Let;s back up: To whom are we speaking tonight, Sybil?

Had my wallet in my pocket and was riding in my buddies rig with no doors, it must have fell out onto the road. Whoever found it turned into the police dept and I got it back. Try not living in a shit hole area :flipoff2:

Had my wallet in my pocket and was riding in my buddies rig with no doors, it must have fell out onto the road. Whoever found it turned into the police dept and I got it back. Try not living in a shit hole area :flipoff2:

. . . and don't leave your wallet unattended around WeevilTwat :laughing:

I've never misplaced my wallet. Not senile, not lying. You're wrong (again).

You know better than to make absolute statements :homer:

. . . well, your "superior intellect" personality knows that :laughing:

Let;s back up: To whom are we speaking tonight, Sybil?

There may be a person who from the beginning of Time never misplaced their wallet. The odds against you being that person are a Quadrillion to one. So I'm chalking you up to Senility :flipoff2:

You are dealing with the personality that doesn't believe that you never misplaced your wallet. You've also had a fart that turned out to be a shart, and you've zipped the top of your cock in your jeans at least once.

Top Back Refresh