Byro

Lurkin’
Member Number
Loc
East Canton, OH
image_39278.jpg
image_39277.jpg
7EDFECFC-DB35-435F-BFEF-4BF6BBE04D3A.jpeg

Trying to setup an 8” Toyota for a friend, Motive 5.29s and Grizzy locker. I currently have 0.192” under the pinion and this is the best pattern I’ve gotten. BL at 10thou.

Last edited:
Are the bearings the same part numbers as the old ones? I don't know the reason for so much shim, but that pattern says you definitely need more depth. I'd make a huge jump like .015-.020 more

Common knowledge to start off with a .250 shim. Come on newb. :flipoff2:You will probably end up between .210 to .215 worth of shims.

Last edited:
Common knowledge to start off with a .250 shim. Come on newb. :flipoff2:You will probably end up between .210 to .215 worth of shims.

I don’t mess with this Yota junk. A Dana would have been done by now with maybe .045” max on the pinion, Toyota and their inferior machining. :flipoff2:

I don’t mess with this Yota junk. A Dana would have been done by now with maybe .045” max on the pinion, Toyota and their inferior machining. :flipoff2:

Them slanty eyes ain’t too good at reading a micrometer. :flipoff2:

I remember one time I had to add 2 thick standard shims plus shims from the shim pack to get the right pattern. Now honestly I probably had the wrong pinion bearing but it finally made a good pattern. Took a good part of a day to get it. Not saying that is your problem but just a note to know. it was a Yukon gear set.

Last edited:

If you like Dana then Ford will blow your mind. It's not uncommon for the mustang guys to swap in used 4.10s and wind up re-using the same shims they took out.

And GM leans into their lack of giveafucks by giving you handy dandy adjusters on their more modern axles.

I always thought Dana was the guys stuck in the past with their sloppy tolerances and housings that need to be spread but this thread makes me realize they're actually middle of the pack. :laughing:

If you like Dana then Ford will blow your mind. It's not uncommon for the mustang guys to swap in used 4.10s and wind up re-using the same shims they took out.

And GM leans into their lack of giveafucks by giving you handy dandy adjusters on their more modern axles.

I always thought Dana was the guys stuck in the past with their sloppy tolerances and housings that need to be spread but this thread makes me realize they're actually middle of the pack. :laughing:

I’m pretty quick on the Dana’s, done a few Sterling 10.5/.25s. The Sterlings are definitely easy. I just couldn’t believe that this thing wanted more depth still, I assumed something was off.

@Stubs that was .010 was more concentrated on getting the depth right first before finagling BL where it wanted to be.

I’m pretty quick on the Dana’s, done a few Sterling 10.5/.25s. The Sterlings are definitely easy. I just couldn’t believe that this thing wanted more depth still, I assumed something was off.

@Stubs that was .010 was more concentrated on getting the depth right first before finagling BL where it wanted to be.
So as mentioned, the reason for the shit ton of spacers is the difference between 4cyl and a 6 cyl pinion bearing size coupled with the gear set.

Most sets don’t even give you a option anymore, so mixing bearings to pinions is less prevalent than before.

What are you going for on BL? .06 is good for a no Hwy set, and get those CB’s up to 150ftlbs.

Top Back Refresh