What's new

YJ cage question

Stevesc1

Member Number
I’m working on a stretched YJ project and have been studying possibilities for the roll cage design. For those of you who built full cages for a YJ how did you position the b hoop (or b pillar support if doing an A to C type design)?

The stock hoop has the funky bend and flattened tubing to be able to clear the vertical ledge where the main floor steps up to the cargo floor. How do you get the b hoop or pillar to be far enough back but also straight. It seems like there is not an easy way to do this.

I thought about notching out the front edge of the fender well or cutting a hole in it and running the b pillar down to tie into rocker guards but seems like there should be some other way? How far back does the b pillar need to be to ensure a safe distance between the drivers head and the bars?

If you retain the factory angle of the stock b hoop it seems like it would have to move forward at least a couple of inches to be able to land on the main floor near the body mount without having a bend in it. Then you also have to have a bent harness bar and possibly x brace bars to clear the seats.

Ideally I would like to have the b pillar far enough behind me for good head clearance as well as to be able to run straight harness and x brace bars.

For a 5-10 driver is the position of the upper factory b hoop far enough from the drivers head or should it shift back a little?

Anyone got any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Thanks! Good video for doing an add on cage. I’m still leaning toward a full custom cage though since my tub will be stretched in the rear plus a lot of people recommend doing a full cage from scratch for various reasons. Of course it would be a lot easier to do an add on cage

How stretched? Is it enough that you can move the front of fender well back? Maybe cut fender well out and move the whole thing to match the stretch.

Then just add a simple filler piece of sheet metal where the B pillar will then land.

Thanks! Good video for doing an add on cage. I’m still leaning toward a full custom cage though since my tub will be stretched in the rear plus a lot of people recommend doing a full cage from scratch for various reasons. Of course it would be a lot easier to do an add on cage
there are a lot of ideas floating around. your not alone in the jeep cage, hell look at all the manufactures out and pick and choose ideas from each. silly thing i love the best about his vid was the simple yet effective hand hold gusset he made. little details he did.

just keep looking. you will find what you want. :beer:

How stretched? Is it enough that you can move the front of fender well back? Maybe cut fender well out and move the whole thing to match the stretch.

Then just add a simple filler piece of sheet metal where the B pillar will then land.
I’m looking at around 12 inches of stretch in the rear. What you are suggesting seems to be the most practical way to do it but was just trying to look at some other possibilities. I tend to get bogged down on projects so minimizing the amount of tub modifications for the stretch is of concern to me. I had landed to cut the rear corners off and then graft on a rear section of a different tub to do the stretch.

Top Back Refresh