What's new

Yep, Dems are going for it all:

Why did the Constitution grant Congress authority over its own election process? What a huge mistake. Literally placed the lunatics in charge of the asylum. Arguably worse than putting Congress in charge of defining the Supreme Court.

tell me something I don’t know. The next 2-4 years are going to be a shitshow

That is an understatement.

Why did the Constitution grant Congress authority over its own election process? What a huge mistake. Literally placed the lunatics in charge of the asylum. Arguably worse than putting Congress in charge of defining the Supreme Court.

It was a Federal group of lunatics, or individual (state level) lunatics.

2nd worst, perhaps... On federalist papers 31.. the arguments for unfettered taxation are insanity... essentially relaying on the honor of man that it would never be an issue.

Because at the time the Senate was accountable to and elected by State legislatures and Congress didn't have nearly as much scope or authority as they do today because the Feds didn't have their hands in anywhere near as much shit.

Because at the time the Senate was accountable to and elected by State legislatures and Congress didn't have nearly as much scope or authority as they do today because the Feds didn't have their hands in anywhere near as much shit.
True and agreed. But still . . . . JFC. It literally says the rules for elections are delegated to state legislatures . . . then goes on to say Congress can overrule. WTF.

True and agreed. But still . . . . JFC. It literally says the rules for elections are delegated to state legislatures . . . then goes on to say Congress can overrule. WTF.

Federal supremacy. Given that a few states explicitly violated the Constitution and Congress didn't do a fucking thing about it speaks volumes.

Federal supremacy. Given that a few states explicitly violated the Constitution and Congress didn't do a fucking thing about it speaks volumes.
It was never Congress responsibility to do anything about it in the first place. That's why there is a Supreme Court.

Yup. States can make their own rules about elections, but they can't violate COTUS when they make those rules. Supposed to be a check on state bullshit laws.

It was never Congress responsibility to do anything about it in the first place. That's why there is a Supreme Court.

They both had supremacy and both fucking whiffed on it.

Wrong, congress can legally "do something" about election laws. Try reading up on the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Told states they couldn't impose unconstitutional requirements on voters.

Wrong, congress can legally "do something" about election laws. Try reading up on the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Told states they couldn't impose unconstitutional requirements on voters.
Read the thread again. I already acknowledged that Congress has the authority to overrule states (in most cases) when it comes to voting/election law. The statement you quoted was my response to another persons statement about enforcement of State actions that are unconstitutional. Again, if a state law is unconstitutional then its not Congress responsibility to rule the state law unconstitutional, its the supreme courts responsibility to rule it unconstitutional.

Coming back to the bill. The voter registration stuff . . . whatever . . . not such a big deal. The attacks on free speech . . . that's a big deal and I can't imagine it will pass Constitutional muster. I have not made it to the campaign finance section yet.

Read the thread again. I already acknowledged that Congress has the authority to overrule states (in most cases) when it comes to voting/election law. The statement you quoted was my response to another persons statement about enforcement of State actions that are unconstitutional. Again, if a state law is unconstitutional then its not Congress responsibility to rule the state law unconstitutional, its the supreme courts responsibility to rule it unconstitutional.

Not how I read it, so that's why I replied as I did.

Coming back to the bill. The voter registration stuff . . . whatever . . . not such a big deal. The attacks on free speech . . . that's a big deal and I can't imagine it will pass Constitutional muster. I have not made it to the campaign finance section yet.

What is this constitutional muster you speak of?

What is this constitutional muster you speak of?
I have no doubt that parts of this bill, if enacted into law, will be overturned by the Supreme Court. And that's when Congress will expand the Court so that they can install some lap dawgs.

I have no doubt that parts of this bill, if enacted into law, will be overturned by the Supreme Court. And that's when Congress will expand the Court so that they can install some lap dawgs.

I’m not sure scotus is anything but lapdogs in practice now. I don’t completely distrust the reports that roverts refused to hear the Texas case over fear of violence and precedence.

Top Back Refresh