What's new

Years for K2500 Suburbans

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Had a 92 C1500 burb in college, before I knew much about cars. Great but I couldn't afford gas unless I was DD'ing for all 7 passengers. This past week I was driving my cousins 94 K2500 and fell back in love with them. With a GF that likes camping/being outdoors and the likelyhood of adding ending up with a stepkid and more property the idea of a big SUV for camping, occasionally hauling the tractor all sounds like a good plan

I'd prefer a 2500 with the 454 unless someone tells me otherwise.

up to '91 are out. Not going to pay for the style and don't want one that is an entire project
~92-95 seem to be right in the money, fairly cheap, easy to work on. Running about $1500-4000 depending on condition, most need work
~96-99 I'm seeing higher prices - $7-10k, still need some work but less than the older ones
~00-05 then get cheap again. Back down in the $3000 range, but far more 1500s than 2500s available
Newer is mostly out of my budget range

So any advice on years to look for? Why are the late 90s more expensive and the early 00's so cheap? I can see the tow rating on the 1500s for an 02 is significantly higher than than a mid 90s 1500 (8600lbs vs 5000lbs). Would a nice 00s 1500 be a better ride with kids than an early 90s 2500?

Any advice is appreciated.

I own a 1999 GMC 2500 suburban with the 454/4l80. I am big fan of this style I grabbed mine in Spokane for 4k with 134k miles.

Has a decent dent on the rear quarter panel but besides that it is clean. I find most people are fans of the 00 and up body style they go for more here then 99 and lower.

The vortec 454s have problems with leaky injectors and the part time 4wd tcase can have issues eating into the case and requires specific fluid.

Besides that I love my Burb a pleasure to tow with and handles great with heated seats to boot! I would figure out how much towing you are doing and find a rig with 4.10 ratio if necessary.

I just bought this 04 with a 8.1l.
$3500. Most are $4500-7500.

This thing flat out boggies if you want it to. I live in the mountains and it just holds the speed and gear. Ill take any ls over sbc/bbc for a dd.

received_859875589152904.jpeg

Not perfect but far better price and condition than the 3 i found that i could afford over the last year of searching.

In the gmt800 2500's come in 2 flavors. 6.0l with a 14bsf and 8.1l with a 14bff. Otherwise theyre the same, 4l80, np246, 9.25 front diff. Youll find them with 3.73 or 4.10.

96-99 are more desirable than earlier years becasue they got the Vortec motor (454 big block or 350 small block). The old TBI motors are fine, but generally antiquated, way under powered and way less efficient, and the on board diagnostics blows.

00-06 gets the LS based small block or 8.1L big block, which is a plus, but not a deal breaker IMO.

I'd hold out for a 2500 just to get the beefier transmission. The 1/2 ton transmissions of this era left a lot to be desired.

If you aren't regularly towing, I think any of these motors will be just fine.

96-99 are more desirable than earlier years becasue they got the Vortec motor (454 big block or 350 small block). The old TBI motors are fine, but generally antiquated, way under powered and way less efficient, and the on board diagnostics blows.

00-06 gets the LS based small block or 8.1L big block, which is a plus, but not a deal breaker IMO.

I'd hold out for a 2500 just to get the beefier transmission. The 1/2 ton transmissions of this era left a lot to be desired.

If you aren't regularly towing, I think any of these motors will be just fine.
iF i had to gmt400 it would be the 95+ just for the nicer interior more than motor choice.

I had a love hate with the 02 2500 6.0 I had with 4.10s

IMO if you’re going to go 2500 hold out for an 8.1

I didn’t see enough of a difference between the 6.0 and the 5.3s I’ve had, so 8.1 would be my choice if I did it again.

Or V10 excursion :flipoff2:

Agreed, the higher prices of the 96-99 burbs are for the updated interior and the vortec engines. While they do make more power, vortec big block versions don't get any better fuel mileage then the earlier TBI 454s, hell, they are still about the same as a carb'ed 454. Seems they all get about 10mpg, towing or not. Advantage to the TBI 454s in the early 90s burbs is the simplicity to work on. Not that the vortecs are all that bad, just the TBI is stupid simple for fuel injection.

Also agree, if you go with the newer model, find one with the 8.1,

I would want barn doors, full-floater axle, and 95+ for interior.

Odds are I would run the stock engine/trans into the ground, then insert a manual trans and/or 6BT as I felt appropriate at the time.

Thats the big advantage to the gmt400 if you live in a smog area and buy the right truck.

boss hog burban with a hot 12v a d its comoletely legal, fuck off.

Yeah, I remember my TBI 350 being stupid simple, but OBD1 does suck for troubleshooting.

IMO if you’re going to go 2500 hold out for an 8.1
Also agree, if you go with the newer model, find one with the 8.1,
Seeing a theme here, and now knowing that the 350 2500 doesn't have a full float axle helps seal the deal

I would want barn doors, full-floater axle, and 95+ for interior.

Odds are I would run the stock engine/trans into the ground, then insert a manual trans and/or 6BT as I felt appropriate at the time.
So my old one was window/tailgate style and I've had several trucks with camper tops. I like the tailgate setup but without using one whats the advantage of the barn doors? I can see some potentials like the kids being able to open and close them, but downsides like not being able to use it as a table.

Thats the big advantage to the gmt400 if you live in a smog area and buy the right truck.

boss hog burban with a hot 12v a d its comoletely legal, fuck off.
Not a smog area. Diesel swap would be fun but for now I'm looking for something that needs a top end rebuild at most.

Good info here, starting to watch prices around me.

SAS'd 92 2500 in opelousas LA for $4k

92.JPG

why is the search function on marketplace such dogshit?

They posted screenshots as the pictures. :shaking:

I'm liking something like this - Log into Facebook but would prefer not black due to being in the south

Any simple top end issues with the 454, or is this likely at least a top end rebuild - Log into Facebook

They posted screenshots as the pictures. :shaking:

I'm liking something like this - Log into Facebook but would prefer not black due to being in the south
that one looks nice, and parked at a nice house so that makes me feel better about the 200k miles

if you're patient you can find lower mileage ones
Any simple top end issues with the 454, or is this likely at least a top end rebuild - Log into Facebook
i don't trust anyone's suggestion for fixes on ads because I assume they're trying to minimize the issue as less of a deal than it is

local guy to me is selling a 91 e350 diesel, initially posted it talking about how he ran it out of oil and it locked up, didnt sell of course and he reposted it a few weeks later saying "it's currently not running, should be a minor issue." if he sells it based on that i hope he gets beat with a pipe

So my old one was window/tailgate style and I've had several trucks with camper tops. I like the tailgate setup but without using one whats the advantage of the barn doors? I can see some potentials like the kids being able to open and close them, but downsides like not being able to use it as a table.
If you ever plan on carrying large and heavy items in the back it’s usually much easier with barn doors. Getting a forklift close enough to load with the hatch lifted up can be a pain. GMT800 has a hatch that lifts up or barn doors, GMT400 has a tailgate + hatch or barn doors.

If you ever plan on carrying large and heavy items in the back it’s usually much easier with barn doors. Getting a forklift close enough to load with the hatch lifted up can be a pain. GMT800 has a hatch that lifts up or barn doors, GMT400 has a tailgate + hatch or barn doors.
I can see that. Barn doors or tailgate+hatch would work. Not interested in a full hatch

Yeah the TBI is super simple, it just doesn't accel at anything well. It just does it's job well,don't expect the world. It's not an LS.

Honestly truck brands aside, I'd go 8.1 only or a V10 Excursion. They all get the job done. A small block Burb will be fine but it won't work like a truck with a bigger engine. So if you are looking at 8 lugs you get a big engine and don't cry about the gas mileage.

If you get a good deal on a 7.4 truck I'd take it too. It's just that the 8.1 makes a 7.4 look like a playschool toy.

You guys are missing out on one option with the 6.0LS that the 8.1 didn't offer and thats the D60 rear....that steers :stirthepot:. I have a 2500 Yukon XL QS and the QS is something that changes the truck so much in daily driving, towing etc. Nothing wrong with the 8.1 but I wouldn't shy away from the 6.0 trucks too much since LS is a well known platform for reliability and if you want to tinker with it a bit you can get little more power out of it easy.

GMT400 did offer the diesel though and for a general run around rig I liked mine just fine but I did end up needing an IP which sucked.

You guys are missing out on one option with the 6.0LS that the 8.1 didn't offer and thats the D60 rear....that steers :stirthepot:. I have a 2500 Yukon XL QS and the QS is something that changes the truck so much in daily driving, towing etc. Nothing wrong with the 8.1 but I wouldn't shy away from the 6.0 trucks too much since LS is a well known platform for reliability and if you want to tinker with it a bit you can get little more power out of it easy.

GMT400 did offer the diesel though and for a general run around rig I liked mine just fine but I did end up needing an IP which sucked.
I did run into a guy that had a 6.0 2500 with a 10.5 rear this weekend so some other package option did exsist.

The qs burbs are pretty rare, the 2 i have seen listed were $20k and i would touch one with a 20' pole. They are neat to drive, id never ever buy one.

Been watching prices. Seems that mileage is the key driver of how quick they go.

There is a 350 engine 1500 that was converted to a NV4500 and 8 lug axles not too far away. Its dumb and I want it, if just for the 3rd pedal.

Yeah ive found a couple but bad sellers and other hinkyness said no.

Pedals are the same as pickups some making one isnt a deal breaker for the right rig.

Had a 92 C1500 burb in college, before I knew much about cars. Great but I couldn't afford gas unless I was DD'ing for all 7 passengers. This past week I was driving my cousins 94 K2500 and fell back in love with them. With a GF that likes camping/being outdoors and the likelyhood of adding ending up with a stepkid and more property the idea of a big SUV for camping, occasionally hauling the tractor all sounds like a good plan

I'd prefer a 2500 with the 454 unless someone tells me otherwise.

up to '91 are out. Not going to pay for the style and don't want one that is an entire project
~92-95 seem to be right in the money, fairly cheap, easy to work on. Running about $1500-4000 depending on condition, most need work
~96-99 I'm seeing higher prices - $7-10k, still need some work but less than the older ones
~00-05 then get cheap again. Back down in the $3000 range, but far more 1500s than 2500s available
Newer is mostly out of my budget range

So any advice on years to look for? Why are the late 90s more expensive and the early 00's so cheap? I can see the tow rating on the 1500s for an 02 is significantly higher than than a mid 90s 1500 (8600lbs vs 5000lbs). Would a nice 00s 1500 be a better ride with kids than an early 90s 2500?

Any advice is appreciated.
imho the pinnacle for burbs is the '02 2500 8.1.
  • 3/4 ton over 1/2 obviously
  • 8.1 cuz big block is morbettah than 6.0
  • 02 started 4l85e over the 4l80e
  • 03+ has all the little bullshit electrical gremlins that 00-02 dont.

I really like my 94 K2500, 454 TBI, 4L80, 241, FF 14bolt 4:11 w/Detroit. Gets 8.5-9 mpg loaded or empty, up hill or down, tows anything I've hooked it to.
Mines the same except it's a 97 and no Detroit and 2" torsion lift in the front. Frikin love this truck. Paid $4K 10 years ago and could probably get $8k today. Prices are going back down. Any suggestions on rear spring helpers for squat? Timbrens? Sumos? Air bags?
1709574742601.png

Mines the same except it's a 97 and no Detroit and 2" torsion lift in the front. Frikin love this truck. Paid $4K 10 years ago and could probably get $8k today. Prices are going back down. Any suggestions on rear spring helpers for squat? Timbrens? Sumos? Air bags?
1709574742601.png

I forgot to add someone before me did a 3" body lift on mine.

KIMG0013.JPG

1709574742601.png
whats the details on the jeep?? I have a 89 YJ I plan to tow with my 1999 K2500 suburban! :smokin:

Top Back Refresh