What's new

Wok recommendations

Aggie06

I ain't the one to blame.
Member Number
Loc
Balls Deep South Texas
Title says it. Anyone have any recommendations for a wok. Not looking to spend $$$$, but wouldn’t mind something of decent quality.

What stove are you running? Gas or electric?

We have a cheap Target wok we use over propane, it works well enough. (Nonstick aluminum)

I’ve thought about getting a steel wok with the base ring from the Asian market.

Last edited:
What stove are you running? Gas or electric?

We have a cheap Target wok we use over propane, it works well enough. (Nonstick aluminum)

I’ve thought about getting a steel wok with the base ring from the Asian market.
Electric unless I break out the fish cooker.

Electric unless I break out the fish cooker.
I’ve never used a standard wok on a electric stove. If the fish cooker is gas/propane you may be good to go.

There are electric woks, we have one around here somewhere. They’re not horrible.

There are electric woks, They’re horrible.
Must've never used it for a wok, there isn't an off the shelf electric wok that can get near 1/2 as hot as needed.
(maybe with a couple electric bbq coal starter hoops under it)

Funny I was just looking at these yesterday at the local buy anything hardware store.
My thought was, with the rounded bottom, how the hell do you put it on the stove?

I am in the market for one, they usually have a ring that you can stick on the burner I think? I know for a fact that they sell some with a small flat bottom.

I am in the market for one, they usually have a ring that you can stick on the burner I think? I know for a fact that they sell some with a small flat bottom.
You’re right they had both, but the one I noticed had a rounded bottom and no ring?

You’re right they had both, but the one I noticed had a rounded bottom and no ring?
Must be a seperate item, I searched Amazon for Wok ring and a bunch of stuff came up. Might be fun to grab some 3/8" rod and just custom build a wok holder that you can swap out for a burner grate.

Capture.PNG

I got one at a restaurant supply a couple/few years ago because I just knew I'd use it all the time.........It's taking up space in the cupboard, never used! I think it was dirt cheap though.

Our stove does have a little adapter for a wok though. Maybe this thread will motivate me.

Picked up one at Ikea for $12 several years ago. Have used it a ton. The non stick coating is getting bad on it. Need to pick up another one.

I picked one up at a Asian supermarket five years ago. It’s about 2 foot in diameter, high carbon steel and we use it with our fish cooker when we want something deep-fried. We cook fish chicken wings all kinds of deep-fried happiness outdoors where it does not spatter our kitchen as well as the smell of hot oil

If you can deal with the equivalent of using/cleaning cast iron, a carbon steel is about the best. Make sure its decent gage steel construction or it will potato chip.
I have 2, one small with the wood handle and a bigger with steel handles for larger recipes.

I have a Calphalon. I use probably 2x a week.

Go to the Asian market and load up on essentials.

• Light, regular, dark and low sodium soy sauce
  • Marin
  • Shaoxing wine
  • Oyster sauce
  • Sesame oil
  • Rice wine vinegar
I highly recommend thewoksoflife.con

Not that it's any better or worse than all options out on table to this point. I have a cast iron wok...
Not exactly a wok, but I've been eyeballing one of these to use camping and on the deck.

These are nice , Rancher I do work for South of Pueblo. Has one of these not same brand though.. and the pan is like 36" across..:smokin: quit your eyeballin, and make the purchase.

I bought this from theworkshop.com

Carbon Steel Wok w/ Side Handle: 14-inch flat bottom

It was $40 about 5 years ago. Good steel wok, season it, and we use it once a month for my wife to do stir fry. It's great

Top Back Refresh