What's new

Wife want;s a half ton truck to pull a small gooseneck

I have a Ram 1500 eco-diesel that would do that easily power wise, but my only concern is the coil spring suspension and the soft bushings they use in the links, maybe a Ford would be a better choice. You could get an ecoboost engine that would still pull good at altitude. I'm assuming a horse trailer?

My 2019 F150 with the coyote pulls my horse trailer with 3600lbs worth of horse with no problem. I'm not sure of the total weight and its a bumper pull, but it does just fine.
I've seen F150's pulling fifth wheel campers. I think you'd be fine with a furd 3.5 or 5.0

Titan XD gas. It's a heavy duty half ton with an integrated goose neck hitch, bunch of other good truck features. Probably get it cheaper than anything else. Don't think I'd bother with the Cummins.

I have a Ram 1500 eco-diesel that would do that easily power wise, but my only concern is the coil spring suspension and the soft bushings they use in the links, maybe a Ford would be a better choice. You could get an ecoboost engine that would still pull good at altitude. I'm assuming a horse trailer?

Use adjustable shocks front and rear, it won't be an issue. I pull, sometimes up to 22,000 with my dually. Adjust the shocks from nearly full soft to very stiff, dramatic difference in feel and control.

F150 crew cab with the "long bed"

any modern 1/2 ton can handle the weight easily.

My tundra will pull my 5,000# jeep on a 1,700# trailer over big hills without breaking a sweat. Brakes are shit though, even with a trailer brakes. If I was doing it more often, I'd probably get some bigger brakes. Not sure if that's just a toyota issue or a problem across the board for 1/2 ton trucks.

Use adjustable shocks front and rear, it won't be an issue. I pull, sometimes up to 22,000 with my dually. Adjust the shocks from nearly full soft to very stiff, dramatic difference in feel and control.

The bushings are very soft in the 1500's, great for general driving and dirt roads and such, but axle wrap is an issue.

My tundra will pull my 5,000# jeep on a 1,700# trailer over big hills without breaking a sweat. Brakes are shit though, even with a trailer brakes. If I was doing it more often, I'd probably get some bigger brakes. Not sure if that's just a toyota issue or a problem across the board for 1/2 ton trucks.

I hated towing with my Tundra ('11, '15) because the transmission would hunt between 5,6

I think it's a Toyota issue, and I don't understand why. Shit, they even still use drums on the Taco.

Keep in mind cab/trailer clearance - lighter truck seem to tend toward shorter beds which can cause problems with a GN trailer

My 2018 F150 with the 3.5 tows surprisingly well. That 10 speed auto is :smokin:

Drinks gas when towing like everdouche drinks his own koolaid though.

I've got air suspension on my ram 1500. Its nice that it auto levels the load. But over load it, it gets pissed off.

The air system also dislikes the cold.

My 2019 F150 with the coyote pulls my horse trailer with 3600lbs worth of horse with no problem. I'm not sure of the total weight and its a bumper pull, but it does just fine.
I've seen F150's pulling fifth wheel campers. I think you'd be fine with a furd 3.5 or 5.0

Damn that's a big fucking horse! :flipoff2:

Damn that's a big fucking horse! :flipoff2:

Yeah he's a big fucker!
3 horse trailer, 3 horseS :flipoff2:

Also, I have no idea what these hay burners weigh. I could be way off but I'm assuming they're no less than 1k .

hell i pulled 15k with my 18 6.2 and it was bumper pull. why the hell does she want a gooseneck? any truck will pull that weight just fine.

Had a buddy who frequently pulled a gooseneck with his double cab tundra. The longer bed was nice for that. I agree, and modern 1/2 ton should be capable of doing it. Just need to find one in the brand you like.

I'd really shy away from a half ton with a gooseneck. For several reasons. Pin weight? Rear leafs or links in the rear?

I think the geometry sucks on those short bed half tons and I don't think you gain anything over a bumper pull.

If it's me, gas 3/4 ton for a gooseneck or a half ton with a bumper pull.

And for those pulling with tondras, I just can't understand why they do so terrible. Stopping, pulling, etc. Worst trailer sway I ever had and saw were both on Tundras. Not to mention gas mileage goes from your standard 13 mpg to about 8 in the 5.7 tundra.

You guys are slacking.

You can't haul anything bigger than a yard cart without AT LEAST a crew cab long box dually. Diesel powered of course with a ridiculous tune on the engine.

That being the minimum standard, I would go with a Volvo VNL 740 for comfort reasons.

740.jpg?h=470&w=1016&hash=99D4BF074718A2790EAF32C8B9DCBBC0.jpg

Tundra, our 2016 just turned 100k. I cooked two sets before my wife started driving it two years ago and they just started shaking on her. That will be set 4. It’s my only complaint with the truck.

Tundra, our 2016 just turned 100k. I cooked two sets before my wife started driving it two years ago and they just started shaking on her. That will be set 4. It’s my only complaint with the truck.

I have 3 in my fleet at work (2007, and 2010 (X2) and they all eat through a set a year like clockwork. Otherwise great trucks

Also, I have no idea what these hay burners weigh. I could be way off but I'm assuming they're no less than 1k .

Typical horse is right about 1k lb. Obviously depends on size. The warmbloods/TB that a lot of english folks ride are more, and draft horses can get up near a ton.

Horse trailers aren't light either. 3 horse trailer is probably 4k minimum empty.

I'd really shy away from a half ton with a gooseneck. For several reasons. Pin weight? Rear leafs or links in the rear?

I think the geometry sucks on those short bed half tons and I don't think you gain anything over a bumper pull.

If it's me, gas 3/4 ton for a gooseneck or a half ton with a bumper pull.

And for those pulling with tondras, I just can't understand why they do so terrible. Stopping, pulling, etc. Worst trailer sway I ever had and saw were both on Tundras. Not to mention gas mileage goes from your standard 13 mpg to about 8 in the 5.7 tundra.

Never had an issue with sway, but most trailers I have pulled were either double axle, or had a load distribution hitch on them, so not real predisposed to sway in the first place. I dunno. Brakes are terrifying though.

I pulled this down to KOH for a buddy one year. Had the plug wiggle out just enough that I lost trailer brakes but still had turn signals. I decided I'd wait until we stopped for gas to fix it rather than hold everyone up and it was the scariest 100 miles of my life.
0203180959_HDR.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	0203180959_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	458.9 KB ID:	263840

F150 crew cab with the "long bed"

any modern 1/2 ton can handle the weight easily.

I'm thinking the same, with a non-attic-equipped gooseneck, shortbed would be fine too, but where are you finding a gooseneck trailer that won't be over 6600lb? That's not even heavy bumper pull territory, unless you're hotshotting palletloads of bubblewrap or packing peanuts, what in this calls for a gooseneck at all?

Top Back Refresh