What's new

Wichita Earthquake?

D_JEEPER

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Member Number
Just had a buddy post up that he got rolled around a bit out there. Any IBB'ers out that way confirm?

Edit: he's faster than the USGS :lmao:

Capture.JPG

I'm about an hour north of Wichita and I didn't feel anything. That's not saying much, the ones I've felt around here just leave you wondering "what the hell was that" and are over in a few seconds.

Have a friend near Cunningham KS post that she felt it.

You don't have to be right on top of the epicenter to feel it. BTW, I was answering Stubs question as to if quakes were ever in that area.
You also don't have to be right on the major fault line for a quake.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with anything?

The New Madrid fault zone is 500 miles from the epicenter of this quake.

My point remains; you don't have to be at the epicenter to feel it.

I interpreted your post as reading; 'you have to be on top, or nearly on top of it, to feel it'.

500 miles is indeed a far distance, though.

The 1964 Alaskan earthquake (9.2); people in Seattle 1,200 miles away felt that sucker! :eek:

Must be because the fracking and we aren’t paying enough taxes to the government to fight climate change

Talking to the mirror?

The epicenter is shown in the USGS map. Your map doesn't even have the epicenter in its frame. This quake originated on a fault line over 500 miles from the New Madrid Fault, and was only a 4.5...

Thank you for proving my point.

Must be because the fracking and we aren’t paying enough taxes to the government to fight climate change

Fracking does lube things up and let them move easier. So the real question is, would you rather have a bunch of small quakes or 1 giant one?

If the new madrid fault ever goes again there will be some serious damage back here.

Top Back Refresh