What's new

Why no toyota trans to 302 adapter?

Cause ford power would break it.

btw, autos with a stall are awesome for wheeling.

Been to that sight. I was talking about a 302 in front of a R151F that I already have.

That's weird. I was on there earlier and i swear they suggested using a Ford trans.

I've never wheeled an auto. Not opposed just never owned one
It will be like the clouds parting for a huge ray of sunshine, blasting down on you. no more herky jerky or running out of gear too soon.

Been to that sight. I was talking about a 302 in front of a R151F that I already have.

That's weird. I was on there earlier and i swear they suggested using a Ford trans.
never seen a 302 to R series adapter. NWOR used to make a 302 to W56 adapter, but that's a ridiculous combo, IMHO.

:shaking:

Change the input on the r series and it works with toyota.

Neither will work with an r151f. Ax15 has a longer input and the r151f has a different tooth count due to the 4.31:1 first vs ax15/3.83:1 first gear.

This about all that's out there. Keep in mind this is in Aussie dollars not US.

Swap input. 1st gear isn't integral to the input. How else did people do 4.31 1st in a ax15 for jeeps
No idea but it's a 30mm difference in input shaft length.

Edit:

Duh, it's 4th gear on the input not 1st. :homer:

So yea, a 95+ r150 or ax15 8nput shaft could be swapped and then use the advanced adapter. It'll move the engine forward 30mm unless everything else is moved but it's work.

When swapped inputs, bearing retainers, and bell housings on my r150/ax15 everything worked out. Only complaint is that it's hard to get in and out of 4th gear when shifting.

My brain doesn't grasp needing less crawl ratio with an auto vs a manual. I effing loved my 221:1 in my ftoy. Current rig only has 109:1 and I find myself in plenty of situations where I wish had the 221 again. I guess if ever had seat time in an auto I might get it.

My brain doesn't grasp needing less crawl ratio with an auto vs a manual. I effing loved my 221:1 in my ftoy. Current rig only has 109:1 and I find myself in plenty of situations where I wish had the 221 again. I guess if ever had seat time in an auto I might get it.
The torque converter basically doubles the crawl ratio. A buddy had a buggy with 7.17s in the axles, stock geared Dana 300 and a 4.3 Chevy and th400. That is shit for a crawl ratio but it was pretty damned solid in all situations. Didn't need more reduction and high range was perfect for blasting fire roads.

65ish to 1 with a auto and 2400 stall is a great way to go up backdoor. I seen a manual toyota do it, he dumped the clutch at redline in 2nd, never asked what his crawl ratio was or what caase gearing he was using. It was brutal af, but thats what it took i guess.

Three weeks ago on Fordyce I watched a guy with a LS powered/NV4500 IH Scout hit winch hill 0.5 right side line and try at it for 5-10 min before giving up and backing out. Then his buddy pulled up in a nearly identical rig but with a 4L80E. He tried for about 5-10 minutes and smoked the trans. Lost reverse. We had to pull him down off WH0.5 and he had to drive out with forward gears only. Never heard the damage report, but am guessing it had to do with oil starvation at that angle? Interesting to see two nearly identical rigs do the same thing and one blow the auto.

They both have their place.

Last edited:
Three weeks ago on Fordyce I watched a guy with a LS powered/NV4500 IH Scout hit winch hill 0.5 right side line and try at it for 5-10 min before giving up and backing out. Then his buddy pulled up in a nearly identical rig but with a 4L80E. He tried for about 5-10 minutes and smoked the trans. Lost reverse. We had to pull him down off WH0.5 and he had to drive out with forward gears only. Never heard the damage report, but am guessing it had to do with oil starvation at that angle? Interesting to see two nearly identical rigs do the same thing and one blow the auto.

You realize autos outnber manuals on the trail by a fair margin these days? Lots of them out there without issues. Just because one guy has a poor setup shouldn't reflect on all autos, just like one guy in a toyota with stock gearing and 37s smoking his clutch on every rock doesn't mean all manuals suck.

I've only had manuals in my true crawlers, buy have done some wheelin autos and am ready to have an auto crawler. Im not totally sold on them with a low power engine, but am probably going to give it a shot anyway.

As far as ratio, I've always felt the 200:1+ was too slow on rocks. 140-160:1 was always plenty. And in fact I just did rubicon and Fordyce in my heavyish family rig with a 22re mostly in 2nd at around 85:1. It was decent enough that I'd probably be totally OK if that was as low as I had, or maybe just a hair lower.

someone needs to come out with another 4:1ish gear set for toyotas. Would be a better all around gear and maybe help the cases not explode when getting beat on.

its goofy with the 4cyl. i personally think the axles need to be geared to match factory rpm with what ever tire size you run. if i recall my 7.17 with 42s was damn near spot on math wise and i could run high side. only around the yard but could do it. and then the 3.8 in auto would about be perfect in every situation . maybe have the doubler for the wow factor. but its a combo of gearing. axles and tcase. not just one. at least how i feel anyhow.

its goofy with the 4cyl. i personally think the axles need to be geared to match factory rpm with what ever tire size you run. if i recall my 7.17 with 42s was damn near spot on math wise and i could run high side. only around the yard but could do it. and then the 3.8 in auto would about be perfect in every situation . maybe have the doubler for the wow factor. but its a combo of gearing. axles and tcase. not just one. at least how i feel anyhow.

I'd be weary of a single low range with the 4cyl and auto. Just because I like an in between obstacles or snow.

I feel like the 2.7/2/5.4 doubler would be perfect.

You realize autos outnber manuals on the trail by a fair margin these days? Lots of them out there without issues. Just because one guy has a poor setup shouldn't reflect on all autos, just like one guy in a toyota with stock gearing and 37s smoking his clutch on every rock doesn't mean all manuals suck.

I've only had manuals in my true crawlers, buy have done some wheelin autos and am ready to have an auto crawler. Im not totally sold on them with a low power engine, but am probably going to give it a shot anyway.

As far as ratio, I've always felt the 200:1+ was too slow on rocks. 140-160:1 was always plenty. And in fact I just did rubicon and Fordyce in my heavyish family rig with a 22re mostly in 2nd at around 85:1. It was decent enough that I'd probably be totally OK if that was as low as I had, or maybe just a hair lower.

someone needs to come out with another 4:1ish gear set for toyotas. Would be a better all around gear and maybe help the cases not explode when getting beat on.

Did you realize I wrote this line? :flipoff2:

To answer: Yes. It was just a very recent and relevant case in point.

I'd be weary of a single low range with the 4cyl and auto. Just because I like an in between obstacles or snow.

I feel like the 2.7/2/5.4 doubler would be perfect.
Agree, when I had my tired 22re/a340/Atlas 4.3, low was used mainly and high range was all about unusable. . After I swapped in the 2rz turbo, high range was actually usable and fairly fast..

Agree, when I had my tired 22re/a340/Atlas 4.3, low was used mainly and high range was all about unusable. . After I swapped in the 2rz turbo, high range was actually usable and fairly fast..

Even then, it just depends on use. Even with a healthy V8, high range is a good way to cook a trans in the snow. But I get most guys aren't snow wheelin

Top Back Refresh