What's new

Who's Responsible for External Plumbing Repair in a Trailer Park in AZ?

Emiller22207

Member Number
My elderly mom owns a prefab house on a rental plot in Tucson, AZ (Mission View Properties). It's a place full of snowbirds. My folks rented the plot a number of years ago and pay monthly rent and utilities.

My mom got a call from the water company a few weeks ago and they said she must have a big leak because her use was off the chart. She called the trailer park management, but the office was closed, so she called a plumber herself. The plumber found two leaks--one at the main coming into the trailer (but outside the trailer) and under the driveway. The bill was $3K.

Mom sent me her very basic rental agreement and responsibility for plumbing repairs outside the trailer is unclear, not directly addressed. The manager says it has not happened before and is sending the owner over to discuss with my mom.

My basic question, does anyone know who's responsible for paying for the repair outside of the unit--my mom or the owner of the lot. My mom does not own the land, just the prefab. The repairs were outside the unit, but on the lot she rents.

Thanks!

I would say the park, there is a shut off right at the trailer correct? I would think that meter to trailer shutoff is the park, shutoff to the faucet it the trailer owners.

Mr. Lahey.

john-dunsworth1.jpg

I would say the park, there is a shut off right at the trailer correct? I would think that meter to trailer shutoff is the park, shutoff to the faucet it the trailer owners.

This is correct

There is typically a shutoff outside to connect to the house. Normally the homeower is responsible for anything after that shutoff. Property owner is responsible for anything before and including the shutoff.

If you're jammed up, lmk, I also have a great plumber.

edit, now that I've read the post, it's on the park, i also have a great lawyer:laughing:

My Buddy who owns a big seniors trailer park up here in BC Canada, says it would be his responsibility here. I would assume it'd be similar there.

Sort of a dumb question... Who installed the "now leaking " pipe? As a private owner; anything after the meter is my problem. :stirthepot:

If they could see it was her specific trailer that was using a crazy amount of water, it had to be after the meter and on “her end”. :confused:

Not saying she’s liable, her contract is going to dictate where their liability ends and hers begins.

Property is responsible up to the valve that goes into the house.

If it is a landlord supplied line, it is his problem. If it is a tenant supplied line, it is her problem.

at the meter or before = water company problem
after the meter but before the house = property owner problem
at the house and in the house = house owner problem

but then again who fucking knows :laughing:

I agree with you on all four...

I own a trailer park. Everything after the shutoff valve (which is above the ground) is tenant responsibility. The park is responsible for everything underground. Even if each trailer is metered, the park owner is responsible. They knew she was using a lot of water. This tells me they are paying the water bill. I have a main meter and pay the whole park bill. Usually between $1500 to $1800 in the cold months and up to $2800 in summer. I’ve actually fixed a lot of leaks that were tenets responsibility just because a leak will drive my bill into the stratosphere. I freaked out a couple of summers ago when 27 trailers used 3/4s of a million gallons in one month. We had a come to Jesus talk about leaks inside trailers and wasting water. :grinpimp:

I own a trailer park. Everything after the shutoff valve (which is above the ground) is tenant responsibility. The park is responsible for everything underground. Even if each trailer is metered, the park owner is responsible. They knew she was using a lot of water. This tells me they are paying the water bill. I have a main meter and pay the whole park bill. Usually between $1500 to $1800 in the cold months and up to $2800 in summer. I’ve actually fixed a lot of leaks that were tenets responsibility just because a leak will drive my bill into the stratosphere. I freaked out a couple of summers ago when 27 trailers used 3/4s of a million gallons in one month. We had a come to Jesus talk about leaks inside trailers and wasting water. :grinpimp:

Every apartment I’ve lived in has a tiny wireless water flow meter they use to bill us. and we pay the city rate passed through plus a 20-40 a month “management” fee depending on the place. They make a killing. Those meters are prob like 50 bucks.

I'd go with this too.

In a "normal" property scenario the utility owns everything up to and including the meter. Homeowner is responsible for everything after the meter. But for a rental lot where the property owner provided the hook up, I'd say he owns it up to the valve.

That’s nonsense. The property is owned by the landlord. All the infrastructure is also owned and maintained by the landlord. If the buss bars in the electrical pedestal burn up, it’s on me to replace it. That is why they are only renting the space. They have no ownership of the property.

Sounds like it should be on the park, but the tenant contacting the plumber and agreeing to the work could make this a sticky situation.

I’ve had several tenants call One Hour Plumbing and Electrical when they had problems with their power. The conversation usually goes like this when the rapist ..err electrical tech tells them the bill will be $4000, then call me. He gives me the super good deal to replace the pedestal. I laugh and tell him to get back in his rape van and leave. I grab a prewired pedestal out of my barn and head over and replace it. Infrastructure is on the landlord. Tell your mom to fight to get her money back!

That’s nonsense. The property is owned by the landlord. All the infrastructure is also owned and maintained by the landlord. If the buss bars in the electrical pedestal burn up, it’s on me to replace it. That is why they are only renting the space. They have no ownership of the property.

Maybe you shour re-read what i was agreeing to

I’ve had several tenants call One Hour Plumbing and Electrical when they had problems with their power. The conversation usually goes like this when the rapist ..err electrical tech tells them the bill will be $4000, then call me. He gives me the super good deal to replace the pedestal. I laugh and tell him to get back in his rape van and leave. I grab a prewired pedestal out of my barn and head over and replace it. Infrastructure is on the landlord. Tell your mom to fight to get her money back!

Yes, that's certainly the smart move. It sounds like here his mom authorized the rape van man to do the work since she perceived the leak as an emergency ( which it wasnt) .

How would you handle it If one of your tenants, called you over the weekend, gets your voicemail , and then calls the rape van tells him to fix it and then hands you a $3k bill from the rape van man?

Yes, that's certainly the smart move. It sounds like here his mom authorized the rape van man to do the work since she perceived the leak as an emergency ( which it wasnt) .

How would you handle it If one of your tenants, called you over the weekend, gets your voicemail , and then calls the rape van tells him to fix it and then hands you a $3k bill from the rape van man?

This is a bit of a concern for me. I reviewed the quote via email and talked to the plumber prior to the fix. There's a bit more backstory here.

It was a Friday afternoon AZ time when my mom called me about the water company calling to say she must have a big leak. I told her to call the park manager and report the issue and ask them for next steps. The manager told her that they would send someone before the close of business. Some guy showed up an hour later, did not knock on the door, looked at the main valve and left without doing anything. Mom called the manager back, but she had already left for the weekend (they have no voicemail). At that point, I got online and found a plumber and sent him to my mom's. That was on a Saturday. He found found the two leaks and told me they were substantial and we should not leave the water on. I asked him to fill some buckets for my mom and shut the water down. The repairs were scheduled for Monday. I called the manager on Monday and told them the person they sent did nothing and the office was closed by the time he had left. I told her we had a plumber coming later that day if they wanted to inspect or supervise.

Could they have got a lower quote, could I have been a little more patient, probably. My thought was they had their chance--my mom's old, has a bad back and can't bend over easily, and does not need to be hauling jugs of water around.

I'm actually not terribly concerned about the sequence of events. I was mostly wondering who is legally responsible because her rental agreement was silent on repairs not within the unit. I appreciate the information provided--can always depend in irate to answer obscure questions.

Btw, we've had no communication with the property owner--only the manager. Interestingly, the manager told my mom that they've never had this happen before until recently (hard to believe). Apparently another renter had reported a $15K plumbing repair earlier and the property owner was "looking into it."

Edit: Funny addition. When my mom called me on her phone with the plumber on the speaker, the plumber asked if I was her son. He said your mom says you have power of attorney and must approve any purchases. I do not have power of attorney, but played along. The old broad is still 100% on her game mentally.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh